Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,296,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
The temp thing is growing out of control as well. Just another way to depress wages.
Yea...temp is the new full-time smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 PM

216 posts, read 373,695 times
Hey Guys

I have a quick question, since I know some of you that have responded to this thread have worked or are working in the administrative field, when you looked for a job with recruiters did you have to take a pre-employment test?

I would expect to take a test on Microsoft Office, however if the ad for a job does not specify a typing speed requirement will I be required to take a typing test?

I ask because I actually do not type that fast, however, I am proficient in Microsoft Office. When I have worked as an admin in FL I have never been required to take a typing test, however, it was in the legal field.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,751,595 times
depends on the recruiter. some of them ask. i've had to take one before...i remember this lady didn't believe that i could type as fast as i said i could on the application or whatever the hell it was.

i told her that if she moved then i could show her on her own computer.

anyway, i don't think it matters one way or the other. they're either going to find a job for you or they aren't. i really don't think that how fast you can type comes into play at all.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,751,595 times
actually that brings me to what i want to say about this bull****.

all of this you need to take this assessment and that assessment and fill out a profile on 342423434 sites and type essays telling the employer why you want the job, along with 3+ professional references, plus 3 personal ones...

all for a 30k or less job? its bull.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,728,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweitzm1 View Post
Hey Guys

I have a quick question, since I know some of you that have responded to this thread have worked or are working in the administrative field, when you looked for a job with recruiters did you have to take a pre-employment test?

I would expect to take a test on Microsoft Office, however if the ad for a job does not specify a typing speed requirement will I be required to take a typing test?

I ask because I actually do not type that fast, however, I am proficient in Microsoft Office. When I have worked as an admin in FL I have never been required to take a typing test, however, it was in the legal field.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Tests like that are very common, even in other professions. With so much competition to find jobs a lot of people will resort to lying about their skills and credentials. There are more than enough fibbers in the system where it is necessary to hold these tests to clear out the riff-raff.

I'm work in web development and I had a code writing test during several interviews.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 AM

103 posts, read 167,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Tests like that are very common, even in other professions. With so much competition to find jobs a lot of people will resort to lying about their skills and credentials. There are more than enough fibbers in the system where it is necessary to hold these tests to clear out the riff-raff.

I'm work in web development and I had a code writing test during several interviews.
But I bet you get paid more than 30k. That's the thing, I'm not doing all that for a job that's gonna leave me poor anyway. I can get a warehouse job and dress/look how I want instead.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:17 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,728,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblue123 View Post
But I bet you get paid more than 30k. That's the thing, I'm not doing all that for a job that's gonna leave me poor anyway. I can get a warehouse job and dress/look how I want instead.
Yes, I do get paid more than 30k, however that has nothing to do with it.

No matter what job or income bracket, pre-qual tests or a technical interview are extremely likely, and it's best to anticipate it. This is nothing new and it has been around for a very long time. Again, there's too many liars out there who will say anything to get the job. Test are just a way to screen them out, and jobs of all pay scales have this.

I also had typing tests to apply for temp summer jobs when I was a college student looking for work between semesters. I was once a broke-ass from humble roots.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:45 AM

166 posts, read 444,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Yea...temp is the new full-time smh
Absolutely. It's a huge money saver for a company (aside from unpaid full-time interns of course). I sit next to my boss's office and actually hear him yucking it up on the phone with the higher-up's talking about how he's saving the department so much money by hiring all these temps.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:41 AM

166 posts, read 444,730 times
wow, now I've worked in non-profit before so I know the salaries tend to be on the low side..but really now?? Master's degree required and 34-37k offered...

Job (New York): Research Associate - idealist.org (http://www.idealist.org/view/listing/gG4t92D3zc2D - broken link)

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,412,911 times
That's scary in every part of the country, but horrific in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City