Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,750 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to town with a 1 year old and were wondering if we are crazy to think that we can pay for housing, daycare, and food with that "limited" income. We are pretty frugal, but do like to leave the house occasionally. Harlem is a no go, our best bets seem to be UES or nicer areas near Columbia. Has anyone made this work or have friends who do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
There's an entire metropolis who do it on far less. Though, I don't reccommend it.

I don't know the age of your child, but determing an area with the best affordable schooling should dictate your location. You did mention daycare. Again, the previous advice holds true. Daycare, Nursery school, and private schooling in general can be prohibitively expensive.

So, determining the location and cost of daycare/nursery/schooling, minus general living cost, will determine where and what and if you can afford.

Are you crazy? Depends upon your reasoning for wanting to move here and your expectations. Are they puposeful, reasonable and realistic. Also, are you putting your personal self-interests above that of your child?

Irregardless, you w/b crazy to move on less! At 150K, you w/b most comfortable NOT in Manhattan. It w/b best either in a safe, non-trendy neighborhood with good schools/daycare; or, in a near suburb of the same qualities.

Tha's how most people do it with "limited" incomes. Also, most natives have a support system, which you will not, making it more difficult and costly.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
Nope. we live on less than half of that - but dont live in Manhattan. we also don't drive, live in a tiny place or have to leave our child in a day care - couldnt imagine that...any of that..good luck - NYC is unflinchingly expensive.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 AM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
You can live in Manhattan on that income, but you will have to make compromises. For example, a nice 2br apartment will probably run you $4000. If you can make it work in 1br, then you can save $1000-$1500 a month.

I know people who did this in Manhattan on even less.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:17 PM

285 posts, read 868,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
You can live in Manhattan on that income, but you will have to make compromises. For example, a nice 2br apartment will probably run you $4000. If you can make it work in 1br, then you can save $1000-$1500 a month.

I know people who did this in Manhattan on even less.
Agreed...many babies in NYC do not have their own rooms. Also, junior 4's are very common. They are like 2br apts but the second bedroom is usually much smaller and doesn't have a closet. I think they used to be dining rooms when the apartments were originally built. They work fine for a child's room. It might not be what you're used to but it is generally what people do when funds and space are limited.

I would suggest looking at Craig's List to get a sense for the prices, but also visit the apartments if you can. Many years ago, I never saw how people could live in a studio apartment until I saw one that was furnished by a young woman in her 20s.

After that, I ended up renting one myself. And found out that the person who lived there before me was a single mother with a baby. Once she outgrew her toddler bed, they moved to a one-bedroom. There was a couple over me (also a studio) and they had a baby also. Again, not ideal, but people do it. If you look at one-bedrooms, it makes living in Manhattan much more feasible.

Also, I know you said Harlem is a no-go. Is that because it is too far uptown? I ask because areas like Inwood and Washington Heights are areas you might want to check, but if Harlem is too far uptown, then those areas will be also. Inwood and Washington Heights have many pre-war buildings that have really large apartments so you could be getting more space for your money.

Another thing is that in certain neighborhoods, sitters are more affordable and flexible than daycare. I would try looking for sitter recommendations. In less affluent neighborhoods you are more likely to find sitters (I recommend finding one who is a licensed child care provider) who are affordable and watch children in their homes.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
I would suggest looking at Craig's List to get a sense for the prices, but also visit the apartments if you can. Many years ago, I never saw how people could live in a studio apartment until I saw one that was furnished by a young woman in her 20s.

After that, I ended up renting one myself. And found out that the person who lived there before me was a single mother with a baby. Once she outgrew her toddler bed, they moved to a one-bedroom. There was a couple over me (also a studio) and they had a baby also. Again, not ideal, but people do it. If you look at one-bedrooms, it makes living in Manhattan much more feasible.
This. I know a couple who has a large studio and is expecting their first child. They have no plans to move for at least a couple of years (and they are quite well off and could easily move, but they love their place).

Not child-related, but I have a friend who has a 2-bedroom walk-up near 86th and Columbus for $2,400 per month.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM

215 posts, read 519,623 times
We live in 1br on UES with a 2-month baby.
I know a couple who raised a child in a studio for 8 months. They are moving to Kansas though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City