Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 PM

244 posts, read 630,270 times

Advertisements

From LA to the slums... wow. j/k!

If I was you, I'd look into Brooklyn. Be ready for a lot of fist pumping, tanned guidos and collar poppin bro

all kidding aside, good luck on your move. staten island can't be THAT bad?

Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 962,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
From LA to the slums... wow. j/k!

If I was you, I'd look into Brooklyn. Be ready for a lot of fist pumping, tanned guidos and collar poppin bro

all kidding aside, good luck on your move. staten island can't be THAT bad?

I'd be willing to bet that I encounter about as much of that on a daily basis as you do where you live.

Jersey Shore and all related materials are toxic, albeit entertaining in a backwards sort of way. Know what I'm talking aboot?

Stereotypes are multi-faceted. lol

Oh, and them people you describe, Brooklyn is their Motherland. Looking into certain sections of BK wouldn't save her from them just as much as looking in certain parts of SI wouldn't.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
I'd be willing to bet that I encounter about as much of that on a daily basis as you do where you live.

Jersey Shore and all related materials are toxic, albeit entertaining in a backwards sort of way. Know what I'm talking aboot?

Stereotypes are multi-faceted. lol

Oh, and them people you describe, Brooklyn is their Motherland. Looking into certain sections of BK wouldn't save her from them just as much as looking in certain parts of SI wouldn't.
I never got what was the deal about SI and people anyway, it looks alright to me.

You know what, it's not as bad as over there, it's more bros italians with the adidas suits looking than actual ny guidos.

Guidos is a hella of an entertaining concept anyway, maybe those Gotti kids should capitalize and make a comeback.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I never got what was the deal about SI and people anyway, it looks alright to me.

You know what, it's not as bad as over there, it's more bros italians with the adidas suits looking than actual ny guidos.

Guidos is a hella of an entertaining concept anyway, maybe those Gotti kids should capitalize and make a comeback.

The deal is most New Yorkers are elitists (myself included perhaps). It's like how many Manhattanites don't consider those from the "outer boroughs" to be true New Yorkers or at least as "New York" as them because Manhattan is obviously considered to be the center of the city. Since Staten Island is the smallest, most isolated and overall most "suburban-esque" (though as I pointed out in a different thread, I read an article that provides a long list of big cities in the country that are overall more suburban than Staten Island) borough, it's kind of the low man on the totem pole. It is what it is. Queens gets it to an extent as well. I remember hearing that before Hip Hop Queens was considered to be as "uncool" as Staten Island (btw I rather not be "cool" by the standards they employ, lol). Again, that's life.

About the guidos though, I don't know where this whole Staten Island guido spiky haired stereotypes come from. That Vinny guy from Jersey Shore is what 90% of lame SI Italians look like - crew cut, fitted Yankee hat, about 5'7, dumb religious tattoo on bicep, tank top, small gold chain. Them other dudes on that show with all their hair gel and whatnot don't really exist on SI. Or if they do I thankfully stay far away from their hives. And please don't believe when you hear that Situation loser say he's from SI. He lived on SI from birth to age 10, which is when he moved to Jersey. Jersey molded him into the lame he is today.

The rest of the SI stereotypes that get pushed around on shows like SNL and the Jon Stewart Show about Mafia types and meatheads with heavy accents and stupid slang, who are quick to beat people up are just funny. Because for the longest time that was the stereotype of ALL New Yorkers that you'd see on TV and in movies. That image made Brooklyn famous! And now they're too classy for it. Smh. Guess it is what it is, yet again... I actually laugh at those stereotypes though because they're usually funny and it's clear they're just making fun. But when MTV makes the shows they do they're trying to pass all this off as fact. It's slightly enraging.

And one of them Gotti dudes is trying to jump-start a rap career at the moment. I heard one of the songs. Trust me, it was worse than you're probably picturing. It sounded like he was joking around.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
The deal is most New Yorkers are elitists (myself included perhaps). It's like how many Manhattanites don't consider those from the "outer boroughs" to be true New Yorkers or at least as "New York" as them because Manhattan is obviously considered to be the center of the city. Since Staten Island is the smallest, most isolated and overall most "suburban-esque" (though as I pointed out in a different thread, I read an article that provides a long list of big cities in the country that are overall more suburban than Staten Island) borough, it's kind of the low man on the totem pole. It is what it is. Queens gets it to an extent as well. I remember hearing that before Hip Hop Queens was considered to be as "uncool" as Staten Island (btw I rather not be "cool" by the standards they employ, lol). Again, that's life.

About the guidos though, I don't know where this whole Staten Island guido spiky haired stereotypes come from. That Vinny guy from Jersey Shore is what 90% of lame SI Italians look like - crew cut, fitted Yankee hat, about 5'7, dumb religious tattoo on bicep, tank top, small gold chain. Them other dudes on that show with all their hair gel and whatnot don't really exist on SI. Or if they do I thankfully stay far away from their hives. And please don't believe when you hear that Situation loser say he's from SI. He lived on SI from birth to age 10, which is when he moved to Jersey. Jersey molded him into the lame he is today.

The rest of the SI stereotypes that get pushed around on shows like SNL and the Jon Stewart Show about Mafia types and meatheads with heavy accents and stupid slang, who are quick to beat people up are just funny. Because for the longest time that was the stereotype of ALL New Yorkers that you'd see on TV and in movies. That image made Brooklyn famous! And now they're too classy for it. Smh. Guess it is what it is, yet again... I actually laugh at those stereotypes though because they're usually funny and it's clear they're just making fun. But when MTV makes the shows they do they're trying to pass all this off as fact. It's slightly enraging.

And one of them Gotti dudes is trying to jump-start a rap career at the moment. I heard one of the songs. Trust me, it was worse than you're probably picturing. It sounded like he was joking around.
I know a lot of people call SI a dump, it seems its got the bad rep because of the general outlook on it (thank you Guidos) and it's the ''dump'' of NYC they say. First times you go to NYC, you think Manhattan. As much as I love Manhattan, I think there's much more to NYC than this. I prefer Brooklyn, I love being in Brooklyn when I'm in town and I love seeing what it offers, it's like it movies. Last time I was there for July 4th week-end, I spent it on the Jersey Shore (Belmar) and it was incredible. Then I went to Brooklyn and I saw just like in ''Do the right thing'';

they had the water fountain opened and they were splashing it on people, it was pretty funny and something you wouldn't see in Manhattan. I discovered full of cool areas (notably Williamsburg). I stayed in Manhattan a few times, I prefer stayin in Brooklyn or Long Island City/Queens now. Just because it gives me the opportunity to check out new things happening in the city.

Our Italians here also, 5'7, crew cut. More into the adidas suit with the cap in the back, not baked-tanned, yo bro, but it's not as bad as in NY, but we do have them. Whether we like it or not, the NY Italian guido type has become a phenomenon and it's not likely to end soon, these kids are in the negative red when it comes to jokes and comment about them, but their also BANKING in big time.

I know one of the Gotti kids was a DJ at one point, never really took off. Situation had a rap song about him with his voice, so if he can do that, the guido can do it also, but I doubt it's gonna work LOL But hey, if Kim Kardashian can also do it, anything's possible right?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of people call SI a dump, it seems its got the bad rep because of the general outlook on it (thank you Guidos) and it's the ''dump'' of NYC they say. First times you go to NYC, you think Manhattan. As much as I love Manhattan, I think there's much more to NYC than this. I prefer Brooklyn, I love being in Brooklyn when I'm in town and I love seeing what it offers, it's like it movies. Last time I was there for July 4th week-end, I spent it on the Jersey Shore (Belmar) and it was incredible. Then I went to Brooklyn and I saw just like in ''Do the right thing'';

they had the water fountain opened and they were splashing it on people, it was pretty funny and something you wouldn't see in Manhattan. I discovered full of cool areas (notably Williamsburg). I stayed in Manhattan a few times, I prefer stayin in Brooklyn or Long Island City/Queens now. Just because it gives me the opportunity to check out new things happening in the city.

Our Italians here also, 5'7, crew cut. More into the adidas suit with the cap in the back, not baked-tanned, yo bro, but it's not as bad as in NY, but we do have them. Whether we like it or not, the NY Italian guido type has become a phenomenon and it's not likely to end soon, these kids are in the negative red when it comes to jokes and comment about them, but their also BANKING in big time.

I know one of the Gotti kids was a DJ at one point, never really took off. Situation had a rap song about him with his voice, so if he can do that, the guido can do it also, but I doubt it's gonna work LOL But hey, if Kim Kardashian can also do it, anything's possible right?

Well, Staten Island has long been the place where the city dumps random things/places they have no use for. It's kinda like the Island of Misfit Toys. Not only did we have the ACTUAL dump with everybody's garbage but we got stuck will that corrupt Willowbrook Hospital place, among other things. I saw an article about it all named "Plunder Island." But yeah, besides that people dislike it because they say they wouldn't wanna live there because it has the most inconvenient commute in to and out of Manhattan and it's drastically drastically underfunded. Half a million people are served by THREE police precincts (a fourth is currently in the works) and NO public hospital. Not to mention no subways and the majority of the island, including some of the densest parts have no above ground trains either. And supposedly we have one of the least accessible and most underused waterfronts in the country, lol. Oh, and not enough schools. Oh, and supposedly the traffic sucks to the point of Staten Islanders having the longest average commute to and from work in the country. Of course there's been talk about changing most of this but a lot of it has been the same talk I've been hearing since I was a kid. If somebody wants to badmouth SI because of all of THIS? Feel free. But just please, not the guidos who represent such an insignificant percentage of our population.

And yeah, Manhattan is kind of... sterile? Most parts of it don't feel like real life to me. Walking the streets becomes like watching a TV show. It gets hard to believe that real people live within that realm. But then there's parts that are more like reality so it all ties in at the end of the day I suppose. I do agree that Brooklyn is more relatable to the average visitor (and native for that matter) and thus may make for an easier urban experience. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for though.

And don't get me started on the Kardashians... Still I rather them be famous for nothing than the Situation or any of them Gotti lames.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Jade11-your post was very nice. As a Staten Island native, I relate a lot to what your saying. I agree the island has changed very much, particulary in the last 10 years. I used to live on the South Shore, in Rossville, and it was a nice place to grow up, but I wouldn't want to live there now. Not that its not nice there now, it's just changed a lot, most of the old timers have left, and it's just not the same, plus it's becoming overcrowded. Now I live in South Beach in SI, and it's practically all Russian, which I don't really have a problem with, it's just weird to live in a neighborhood where I feel like the foreigner for speaking English. But it's convenient in many ways, and I deal with it.

I plan on leaving NY altogether in the next few years, but I know I will miss NY for certain reasons, but it's just becoming too pricey, plus the appeal of the city has long worn off for me, I find coming into Manhattan everyday for work to be a chore, and I don't even want to experience the city for all it has anymore because I am too tired from working all week and commuting for two hours a day on public transportation.

I still feel SI is the nicest borough though, and wouldn't want to live in any of the other 4 boroughs at all.

I certainly agree and certainly can sympathize. My family left Brooklyn when we realized we were practically the last English-speaking household on the street. We were always polite to the new cultures but we felt ours slipping away. The idea to move to Staten Island came naturally to us. The old neighborhood was flocking in droves to Old Bridge, NJ and Massapequa on Long Island. We looked at these areas but it just seemed that Staten Island had the right balance of feeling at home, accessability and PRICE.

When I came to Staten Island, I didn't notice a change in "speed" when interacting with people. Not to sound insulting to anyone, but you don't always find that everywhere you go. It made for not just an easy, but a positive change.

I did spend a year commuting to lower Manhattan when I worked as an intern for a company on Water St. I had graduated school and the company was on a hiring freeze. They were very kind to me in extending my stay there as long as they could. The experience actually turned me on to Manhattan. I was a full-time 9-5er (just not on salary but they paid a generous hourly wage for interns). There was a movie on a few nights ago called "Eyes Wide Shut" with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Let me say it's certainly not a family movie (I don't have children yet). I turned it on when I saw the Manhattan backdrop and watched it straight-through even though I had seen it before. Something about Manhattan in the winter brings back good memories. I still agree that Staten Island is ideal for living in the 5 Boroughs.

I know the wanna-be-Gotti crowd on Staten Island ruined it for a lot of us. I'm Italian-American but I never needed a decal on the back of my car to remind me about it. Friday or Saturday nights meant Hylan Blvd. was practically a racetrack down passed Arden Ave. where I was, but sometimes we have to take the good with the bad. I learned to love matinees and only shop at the Staten Island Mall if horribly convenient and only on Mondays.

I've since been back to visit after my original post. I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Travis and I have to say....wow! My eyes really weren't open. The shoppng center where the Travis UA movie theater was really died a horrible death! Sad. I had a lot of nice memories there. It looks like the North Shore near the SI Ferry really perked up a bit. I hadn't been on the ferry for years and I have to say that they did a great job remodeling it.

Please take your time looking before leaping. Staten Island is still a unique place.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,357 times
I am re-locating from Orlando, FL to Staten Island. Can someone help me with trying to find either a townhouse or a single family house not far from the Ferry/Bus to Manhattan?

What zip codes in this area can you tell me? I am a native NYer, myself...lived in all the boroughs for the exception of Staten Island, so that is where I want to live.

Thank you in advance. Am planning to relocate by Jan. 2011

Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,048,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillie2819 View Post
I am re-locating from Orlando, FL to Staten Island. Can someone help me with trying to find either a townhouse or a single family house not far from the Ferry/Bus to Manhattan?

What zip codes in this area can you tell me? I am a native NYer, myself...lived in all the boroughs for the exception of Staten Island, so that is where I want to live.

Thank you in advance. Am planning to relocate by Jan. 2011
Budget? That area is primarily condos, or large, expensive Victorians. The area code is 10004. You might better off looking in Silver Lake, 10301.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 PM

301 posts, read 641,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Budget? That area is primarily condos, or large, expensive Victorians. The area code is 10004. You might better off looking in Silver Lake, 10301.
Why Silver Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City