Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 AM
col

131 posts, read 675,488 times

Advertisements

Yes you can find happiness in SI..there is however a lot of over development
and upscale nonsence going on..if you are on a budget you have to look at this.
As I mentioned earlier culture is great here, snug harbor in fantastic. you have to be hear to know i guess.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:23 AM

19 posts, read 72,606 times
LOL...the ninja!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:54 AM

50 posts, read 324,046 times
Ambreen, I live on Staten Island and lived in LA (Santa Monica) for four years. It would help to know which hospital your husband will be working at and what you're hoping for in a neighborhood. Is it Richmond University Medical Center? One plus with Staten Island is there are some really great things to do with little kids. Traffic is a bear; I encounter more here and worse days on the SI Expressway than I ever did on the 405 freeway. Let us know what you're looking for in a neighborhood. I agree there are some good public schools but there are also some good private schools. There is a strong Catholic culture amongst most, not all, private schools, FYI, this being NYC. Feel free to PM me if I can help.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,471 times
Default Be Careful About Staten Island

If you can tolerate the heavy uneducated and goon presence on Staten Island, then move there but choose a neighborhood wisely. If you can afford it, I would suggest Grymes Hill - it has a real suburban feel, you'd have a quicker commute to Manhattan than from other parts of the island, and its residents are of a higher quality. Todt Hill is also suburban-like, and is an easier commute, but it has its fair share of, quiet frankly, low-lives.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM

18,502 posts, read 31,723,464 times
There are a lot of good areas in Staten Island, in fact most are good. I would not however live in Brooklyn and have to commute (like an above poster wrote) to Staten Island, the Verazzano bridge is 10.00, yup folks, thats right Ten Dollars. Hello, that would turn me right off.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,296,636 times
There's quite a few Angelinos coming to New York lately, eh?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,005,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
In my day, Todt Hill was THE neighborhood. In the south shore, nice areas are Annadale, Huegunot, Tottenville and Princess Bay. The south shore has great public schools.
How about Richmontown, (full of history), Oakwood, Eltingville, South East Annadale (many realtors live here, it has Residential One Zoning in many parts.) and Pleasant Plains. I LOVE STATEN ISLAND!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,005,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiggy View Post
If you can tolerate the heavy uneducated and goon presence on Staten Island, then move there but choose a neighborhood wisely. If you can afford it, I would suggest Grymes Hill - it has a real suburban feel, you'd have a quicker commute to Manhattan than from other parts of the island, and its residents are of a higher quality. Todt Hill is also suburban-like, and is an easier commute, but it has its fair share of, quiet frankly, low-lives.
Look at it this way, wiiggy. Every borough has uneducated people. What is a goon? That word sounds very uneducated to me! A lot of those "uneducated people" have build Staten Island, and have opened stores all over the Island, and most likely have more money than you and I. So, please, unless you have a PHD, or an MD, after your name, do not speak badly of people that may only have a high-school diploma. There are very hard-working people living here, who love their homes, take very good care of them, and are very good neighboors. Most Staten Islanders are very family-oriented people, who go to church.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:36 AM

588 posts, read 949,222 times
Wiggy is right about the goons. There are alot of upper-middle class/wealthy lowlifes on Staten Island. It was much better 20 years ago. I'm not saying it's worse than the other boroughs but it really has changed.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 AM

6 posts, read 22,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Look at it this way, wiiggy. Every borough has uneducated people. What is a goon? That word sounds very uneducated to me! A lot of those "uneducated people" have build Staten Island, and have opened stores all over the Island, and most likely have more money than you and I. So, please, unless you have a PHD, or an MD, after your name, do not speak badly of people that may only have a high-school diploma. There are very hard-working people living here, who love their homes, take very good care of them, and are very good neighboors. Most Staten Islanders are very family-oriented people, who go to church.
I have a "Esq" and "MBA" after my name. Can I call them "goons" now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City