Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,287 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to NYC in a couple of years. We will have 3 children with us (the oldest will be in college). I will have one entering 9th grade, one entering 5th grade and a 3 year old.
In researching the High schools I noticed that each one states that they will not accept your application unless you list them as your first choice. What happens if your child then doesn't get into that school? You've eliminated any other schools because you can only list one as your first choice.
As far as apartments, my credit is pretty crappy although my husband's is not, his problem is that he has a criminal record with a conviction on 2000. I broke a lease on an apt due to safety concerns last year but have paid rent on time always where I live now and will have 3 years in the same home with good rental history when we move. What are our chances of securing an apartment?
We are used to school buses here in the south but I was told that in NYC the children take the subway to school, how safe is this?!?
I am a RN, I do not believe that I will have a problem getting a job, some of the hospitals even offer nurses relocation assistance. My husband I am not sure about, he does construction type work and brick laying.
We will only have $20,000 in savings, is $6,000 or $7,000 going into fees for an apartment realistic or will it be more?
Just those questions to start.....
Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Wow....nothing??? Maybe I should ask a question about the Bronx or Astoria.

(that was just a joke so don't go crazy)

Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM

14 posts, read 47,379 times
I'm not sure about how you would go about securing an apartment as I'm still a college student living at home.

...about the schools, if your child doesn't get into the school they apply to, they will be sent to their zoned school. And yes, NYC kids (for the most part) do not cheese buses to school. We take buses and subways (I took 2 buses to my high school everyday.) I lived walking distance to my elementary school and junior high school so I never had to take the bus or train until HS. I really don't think you should be too concerned about their safety on public transportation. I've never had a problem on it growing up.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:26 AM

Thanks so much for the reply, I will try to find out which high schools are zoned where. I have heard that the public high schools ate pretty bad. That would be enough to keep us in the south. I have to think of my childrens safety and education first.
Thanks again!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,845 times
I think that no one has replied because, from what you've posted, your chances on making it in NYC seem slim. You may get a job, but I definitely don't see it being enough—even with your husband's income—to support three kids. Do you realize how much apartments here cost?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Where do you live now? Providing a good education for your children in NYC is a LUXURY, not a "right" as most suburban Americans would believe. Private schools cost $30k+ per child per year and public high schools are notoriously bad- behavior problems, crime, distractions, you name it. Competition for magnet high schools is fierce and cannot be assumed your kids will get in. So while elementary schools may be ok, you will have to cross the bad school bridge eventually. I would guess the school situation is much better wherever you live now.

Next, an apartment large enough for a family of 5 in NYC would cost $2-3k per month in a neighborhood about an hour out from midtown Manhattan.....is that what you had in mind? In Manhattan or a closer-in Brooklyn or Queens neighborhood, you'd be looking at $4-7k in monthly rent. To meet income qualifications for the 1-hour away neighborhood, you & hubby would need to make a minimum of $120k to survive. For Manhattan or a closer in neighborhood, you'd need about $200k to survive.

The time to live in NYC and enjoy it is either when you are young and single OR after you're empty nesters and you've saved enough to make the move. With a young family, it's going to be a drastic decline in your standard of living. Please think this through very carefully!!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbornNCbred View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to NYC in a couple of years. We will have 3 children with us (the oldest will be in college). I will have one entering 9th grade, one entering 5th grade and a 3 year old.
In researching the High schools I noticed that each one states that they will not accept your application unless you list them as your first choice. What happens if your child then doesn't get into that school? You've eliminated any other schools because you can only list one as your first choice.
As far as apartments, my credit is pretty crappy although my husband's is not, his problem is that he has a criminal record with a conviction on 2000. I broke a lease on an apt due to safety concerns last year but have paid rent on time always where I live now and will have 3 years in the same home with good rental history when we move. What are our chances of securing an apartment?
We are used to school buses here in the south but I was told that in NYC the children take the subway to school, how safe is this?!?
I am a RN, I do not believe that I will have a problem getting a job, some of the hospitals even offer nurses relocation assistance. My husband I am not sure about, he does construction type work and brick laying.
We will only have $20,000 in savings, is $6,000 or $7,000 going into fees for an apartment realistic or will it be more?
Just those questions to start.....
Thank You!!
I got $95,000 in savings, I got a wife and 2 small kids. I should also be getting $2700 a month in VA benefits and she works some, too. I also grew up here. I still hesitate to go back.

With only $20,000 savings and 3 kids, one high-school aged. You don't stand much of a chance, sorry ma'am. If you haven't moved already I would suggest other alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City