Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 08:37 PM

11 posts, read 45,297 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on commuting from Queens to Long Island? I just got a great job on LI (Roslyn, Nassau County) but I'm in my mid 20s and not really ready to move to the suburbs...

Anyone have an idea about how the commute from Astoria, LIC or Forest Hills is to Nassau? Or if anyone has any ideas about other neighborhoods that might be good for someone my age it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Default P.s.

It would be by car...

Old 03-07-2011, 08:43 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,110 times
driving wouldnt be bad from either astoria or forest hills maybe 30 mins. from fh or 40 from astoria roughly.

public transportation wouldnt be as good but you would have to get to jamaica and get on the lirr but they do have a stop in roslyn so its doable. just google the exact address it will give you an idea

Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM

oh your driving then its a piece of cake. you can get there in 25-40 minutes everyday an traffic wouldnt be as miserable coming towards long island from the city. where u from? i mean the traffic is ferocious but if ur from the metro its nothin new

Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM

Thanks for your advice! I'm from Massachusetts originally but have lived in the metro area for several years, first White Plains, then the East Village and now Jersey City. But this will be my first time having a car here in 3 years...I'm not so used to urban driving...good to hear the traffic is not so bad!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM

ok cool ur an east coaster u know whats up. just take the lie thats usually the best

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bree8426 View Post
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on commuting from Queens to Long Island? I just got a great job on LI (Roslyn, Nassau County) but I'm in my mid 20s and not really ready to move to the suburbs...

Anyone have an idea about how the commute from Astoria, LIC or Forest Hills is to Nassau? Or if anyone has any ideas about other neighborhoods that might be good for someone my age it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
EASY NO NEED TO DRIVE THOUGH Use 7 train to flushing use MTA N20/21 any N20 or N21 bus will take you there plus the bus makes No drop-off in queens so its express. with $10 gas coming just use N20 no need to drive there here is for more info click mta.info | Maps then select nassau. I have done it it's actually better by bus as it avoids traffic jams on LIE and by using flushing you can avoid the slow oyster bay line. However the N20 takes metrocard so it's not costing ya extra!!!! Sadly not all new yorkers know MTA as well as they should.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
driving wouldnt be bad from either astoria or forest hills maybe 30 mins. from fh or 40 from astoria roughly.

public transportation wouldnt be as good but you would have to get to jamaica and get on the lirr but they do have a stop in roslyn so its doable. just google the exact address it will give you an idea
WRONG Ya dont need LIRR there is a direct bus from flushing N20/21 and avoid the ones that don't go past great neck at rush hour. Plus LIE IS HELL TO DRIVE ON!!!!!! AT RUSH HOUR NOT WORTH IT!!!!!! RUSH HOUR IS SO BAD A BUS IS FASTER!!!!! and the public transit is way better than you realize. plus N20 isnt on the chopping block. sometimes it's faster than cars down northern blvd. Dont waste money on GAS IN NYC!!! http://mta.info/libus/mapnassaubus.pdf (broken link) and is ur job on northern blvd???

Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Drive. Take the Grand Central not the LIE (which is prone to parking lot syndrome). I avoid the LIE as well as thr Cross Island at all costs. It pays to learn LI's side roads, and alternate routes to work. There will be times you'll want or need to exit the highway.

Leave early, 8:30 am or before. Leave late 7pm or later.

Cummuting is a breeze adhering to the above. 30 minutes on average depending on your driving, and you live close to Astoria exit. Just don't miss the exit on your way home, otherwise you'll be heading over the Triborough bridge.

Living in Astoria with a car means easy access to the city and to suburban LI. The bad is parking is non-existant in astoria. Alternate Side parking is in effect, M,T,TH, and F. Mostly beginning at 8:30 with some blocks at 9:30. Paid parking is sarce and runs approximately $200 per month, if you can find a spot.

Alt. Side isn't issue in the morning as long as you drive every week day and leave early. Coming home its often difficult to find street parking. Lots of of outside people drive into the area for business and pleasure.

For about a year I Commuted to Hicksville daily.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Drive. Take the Grand Central not the LIE (which is prone to parking lot syndrome). I avoid the LIE as well as thr Cross Island at all costs. It pays to learn LI's side roads, and alternate routes to work. There will be times you'll want or need to exit the highway.

Leave early, 8:30 am or before. Leave late 7pm or later.

Cummuting is a breeze adhering to the above. 30 minutes on average depending on your driving, and you live close to Astoria exit. Just don't miss the exit on your way home, otherwise you'll be heading over the Triborough bridge.

Living in Astoria with a car means easy access to the city and to suburban LI. The bad is parking is non-existant in astoria. Alternate Side parking is in effect, M,T,TH, and F. Mostly beginning at 8:30 with some blocks at 9:30. Paid parking is sarce and runs approximately $200 per month, if you can find a spot.

Alt. Side isn't issue in the morning as long as you drive every week day and leave early. Coming home its often difficult to find street parking. Lots of of outside people drive into the area for business and pleasure.

For about a year I Commuted to Hicksville daily.
YEAH THAT IS WHAT N20 IS FOR??? here http://mta.info/libus/routes/n2021/n2021_new.pdf (broken link) Ya can avoid parking hell plus this bus is faster at rush hour save urself the parking fees. The metrocard unlimited works on N20 which does go to hicksville and royslyn I used it many times it is a godsend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City