Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 AM

42 posts, read 85,754 times

Advertisements

Hey folks:

I'm looking for a diverse Queens neighborhood with quick access to Manhattan.

I lived in Brooklyn years ago, but no more.

I want subway access (w/i 4 blocks- N/E/W??) and access to basic food shopping. I have 2 cats so I'd need an animal friendly building.

I'm looking for safe, not fancy, and fairly quiet but hey, it's the City, right?

The following neighborhoods look right:

Astoria (1st choice)
Woodside
Rego Park
Elmhirst
Jackson Heights

Is a one BD in Astoria the same in size as one in Woodside?

Can anyone offer thoughts on total square footage or individual square footage such as living room and a bedroom.

For Astoria I see a low end of about $1100 - $1400 for something reasonable and near subway. Is that accurate? Some include water, etc others don't.

Are these 1 BDs shoeboxes? Would I need a 2 BD just to breathe?

In addition, do you deal with a realtor for rentals or just deal with the ads?

If the answer to the last question is 'yes' any individual recommendations would be sweet.

Too many questions I know.

But I come in peace and ask for your help.

Thanks folks.

Steve

(ex-Brooklynite but always from Canarsie)

PS Please don't tell me any place in Brooklyn. The Heights would bankrupt me (again) and in Williamsburg I'd never get a good night's sleep (but I would certainly spend lots of evenings there (<: )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cello700 View Post
For Astoria I see a low end of about $1100 - $1400 for something reasonable and near subway. Is that accurate? Some include water, etc others don't.

Are these 1 BDs shoeboxes?
Steve they could be shoe boxes or maybe they're far from the subway. Maybe the apartment layout is maddening or the building is old. As for the water thing you referred to, that's not clear to me. Water should be available at all times IMO

Old 03-02-2011, 10:09 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
In Rego Park you can get an apt. with large rooms in buildings close to Queens Blvd. with access to R/V subway lines. If it is a large building usually water (cold & hot) and heating is included in the rentl. There are plenty supermarkets and small grocery stores in the area. Also in the new Rego Park Center II shopping mall you can find an ALDI food market as well as Costco.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:19 PM

42 posts, read 85,754 times
Default Water?

When I mentioned "water" I meant whether or not it was included in the rent (vs getting a water bill) not whether it was physically available at all. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cello700 View Post
When I mentioned "water" I meant whether or not it was included in the rent (vs getting a water bill) not whether it was physically available at all. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I hope you get something good. In 2005 I paid that much (low end) for the eastern edge of Briarwood in Queens. What I got: 1BR (large), full bath, EIK kitchen, living room (not large), private yard (large - it made 2 cats happy), private entrance, cable (separate), huge good supermarket, major bank, empanada shop, Greek diner, Chinese takeout, dollar store, gift card/trinkets shop, Dunkin Donuts, veterinarian, chatty neighbors (One story goes: A big lottery winner yelled "I won! I won!" with his arms thrashing in the air outside the gift card shop) I liked Briarwood alot because I considered it gentle/sweet and the cats liked the sunny yard, but life took me in another direction. Briarwood has its own Wikipedia page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: