Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 30,916 times

Advertisements

I have heard some people say that the Bronx and specially the South Bronx is worse than some of the worst cities in the US when it comes to crime, Is that true? I was thinking about moving there so I really want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
No,it's just the opposite. There are at least 20 major US cities that have crime rates that are higher than precincts in the South Bronx.The South Bronx doesn't even have the highest crime areas in NYC any more.
Cleveland,Columbus,St Louis,New Orleans,Miami,Detroit,Newark,Philadelphia, Cincinnati,Atlanta Buffalo,Memphis,Camden,NJ,Oakland, D.C. and many others are on the list of places with higher crime rates.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 PM

468 posts, read 1,338,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob289 View Post
I have heard some people say that the Bronx and specially the South Bronx is worse than some of the worst cities in the US when it comes to crime, Is that true? I was thinking about moving there so I really want to know.
Are you an urban adventure seeker?

If you are well then I would recommend Detroit.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,573 times
South Bronx was much worst in days gone by, hence 1990's, especially the decades before that, the 1980's and 1970's, this is the era where the So.BO received it's negative reputation along with blight. Much has changed since then, again, it's no upper tier nabe for that matter, but their are worst areas elsewhere such as in other cities.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM

57 posts, read 196,743 times
I posted this before: I moved to the South Bronx last year and – by all means – should already be dead if you’d believe some of the posters on here: I’m a white guy who likes to indiscriminately walk around the neighborhood, day and night. So far, I did not have a single unpleasant experience (at least not as far as “unpleasant” is defined in my book – some less tolerant people may beg to differ).

I still think that person-specific factors (such as demographic characteristics, various personality traits, tolerance for ambiguity and diversity, individual behavioristics, etc. etc.) are a much better predictor of how safe you “feel” and also of how safe you actually “are” (which are not the same, obviously; the latter is more significant than the former). Therefore, I always feel that it’s kind of tricky to ask for advice in this matter since we are all so different. Person A may make it completely unharmed out of a situation that kills Person B.

That being said, anyone – me included – can always end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. But that’s really a risk that is inherent to being alive, and not so much inherent to being in the South Bronx. Also, there are enough dumbasses who can get themselves into trouble even in the safest neighborhood; being under the influence of alcohol does not really help either...

There's always a lot of talk about crime in this forum, but when it comes to violent crimes per 1,000 residents in U.S. cities with a population of 250,000 and higher, NYC doesn't even make it into the Top-50 anymore (2009 data, FBI). The population base does not even include the high number of tourists and commuters that are in the City at any given point in time, so even though there's always room for different interpretations, I think we are looking pretty good overall.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Out of curiosity, are there any decayed or abandoned sections of the South Bronx still around, or is it all fixed up?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,266 times
well i was just in the south bronx a few hours ago and nobody bothered me

Old 01-31-2011, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 36,300 times
The bronx in changing more and more every single day ... 1 year elopes and its crazy the change that occur... Especially that of in which south Bronx Condos are even up/ Being built .. Museums , GREAT buildings..Complete with parks, new Stadiums.. etc.. Yankee stadium area.. had like a Revolution -- (A Drastic change).. compared to what it was YEARS ago ...in fact many areas of the Bronx has...and its continuing. .BUT!! some areas are still a bit rough! .. probably not as it use to be.. but still.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 AM

468 posts, read 1,338,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogita Ante Scribis View Post
I posted this before: I moved to the South Bronx last year and – by all means – should already be dead if you’d believe some of the posters on here: I’m a white guy who likes to indiscriminately walk around the neighborhood, day and night. So far, I did not have a single unpleasant experience (at least not as far as “unpleasant” is defined in my book – some less tolerant people may beg to differ).

I still think that person-specific factors (such as demographic characteristics, various personality traits, tolerance for ambiguity and diversity, individual behavioristics, etc. etc.) are a much better predictor of how safe you “feel” and also of how safe you actually “are” (which are not the same, obviously; the latter is more significant than the former). Therefore, I always feel that it’s kind of tricky to ask for advice in this matter since we are all so different. Person A may make it completely unharmed out of a situation that kills Person B.

That being said, anyone – me included – can always end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. But that’s really a risk that is inherent to being alive, and not so much inherent to being in the South Bronx. Also, there are enough dumbasses who can get themselves into trouble even in the safest neighborhood; being under the influence of alcohol does not really help either...

There's always a lot of talk about crime in this forum, but when it comes to violent crimes per 1,000 residents in U.S. cities with a population of 250,000 and higher, NYC doesn't even make it into the Top-50 anymore (2009 data, FBI). The population base does not even include the high number of tourists and commuters that are in the City at any given point in time, so even though there's always room for different interpretations, I think we are looking pretty good overall.
There were white guys in the South Bronx before you arrived.

Please do not make yourself out to be some sort of urban pioneer.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:30 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,771,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob289 View Post
I think Brownsville and East New York are far more dangerous. What I didn't like about the South Bronx or at least Soundview was the poverty and tenement living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City