Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
yea, and sometime I will make a thread and a list of all the children killed by stray bullets in South Bronx.
Just my experience brutha. Not trying to down grade any crime problems , because they obviously have them, just giving my humble opinion.

Last edited by cf77; 03-15-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM

109 posts, read 205,830 times
South Bronx really isn't that bad. I would say the summer time is the worst because the kids and teens don't have anything to do and their parents just let them roam about the streets. If you mind your business no one will approach you.

Probably the worst thing that has happened to me recently were two guys were following me closely going down the subway stairs to the street level after watching me while on my phone (I was fully aware they were staring). I looked back because I felt someone close to me and they were there but behind them was one of my neighbors from the block. I shouted hi to the neighbor, the dudes looked back then kept it moving. Even the guy from my block said he was about to "go to bookings for me" because he noticed the dudes were acting suspiciously and would have acted on my behalf. Which is also a lesson in making sure you say hi to the neighbors; they may talk differently and act a little foolish but never under estimate someone's ability to do the right thing.

PS- I probably would have paid them to take my work Blackberry lol

Old 03-15-2012, 04:53 PM

400 posts, read 983,817 times
The South Bronx is not that dangerous at the moment because all the real deal criminals are "getting money" out of state.

All those East coast cities that are murder zones, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Wilmington DE, DC, Richmond VA, Charlotte, Raleigh etc... New Yorkers have backed up, "opened up shop" out there and turned those places out.

Go to the South Bronx and act up and its not hard to have somebody come back up with one phone call.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Just my experience brutha. Not trying to down grade any crime problems , because they obviously have them, just giving my humble opinion.
I hear ya.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 79,009 times
The south Bronx was definitely dangerous in the 1980s-90s. Today, its just full of wanna-be gangsters who they they are tough. I'm speaking from experiance.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,165 times
the bronx is still buck wild cab drivers get shot all the time and people get robbed and after brooklyn is the second worst borough. i lived in cleveland on the west side the dudes i saw doing roberries were like 4 feet tall lol. now the west side of cleveland is rough

Old 07-01-2013, 10:41 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Out of curiosity, are there any decayed or abandoned sections of the South Bronx still around, or is it all fixed up?
yes there are, but in spurts which would be entire city blocks. along Westchester avenue, you'll see a few. Park Aveune too. the Bronx lacks quality of life amenities.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New-York-Cityian View Post
The south Bronx was definitely dangerous in the 1980s-90s. Today, its just full of wanna-be gangsters who they they are tough. I'm speaking from experiance.
Unfortunately there's still a strong criminal element in the South Bronx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe35 View Post
the bronx is still buck wild cab drivers get shot all the time and people get robbed and after brooklyn is the second worst borough. i lived in cleveland on the west side the dudes i saw doing roberries were like 4 feet tall lol. now the west side of cleveland is rough
The Bronx has more high crime neighborhoods per land area then Brooklyn. The area has calmed down significantly over the years, but still has issues with violent crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
yes there are, but in spurts which would be entire city blocks. along Westchester avenue, you'll see a few. Park Aveune too. the Bronx lacks quality of life amenities.
There's a lot less abandoned property in the South Bronx nowadays. But the Bronx typically has higher density construction then Brooklyn and Queens (large 5-6+ story apartment buildings are very common). More comparable to Upper Manhattan, especially WaHi or the upper reaches of Central Harlem. It's more common to see a boarded up apartment then an entire building.

What is more common then boarded up buildings then in other parts of the city is under utilized land considering the density and mass transit options. Lots of one story commercials, parking lots, 2 story rowhouses where 5-6 story pre wars once stood in most cases then there should be. A lot of it needs to get redeveloped already and is.

The overall Bronx really lacks quality retail and entertainment. Surprisingly, there is a number of good restaurants, but the population could support many more. Parks, walkability, mass transit, cheap commercial establishments are on point though.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,919,198 times
ITS HORRIBLE JUST PLAIN AWFUL PEOPLE DIE LEFT AND RIGHT GUNSHOTS EVERYWHERE ITS LIKE WORLD WAR 3 DOWN THERE DON'T GO THERE YOU'LL DIE FOR SURE!!!

Wait, we're talking about Detroit during the Detroit riots, right?

Anyway, I've been going to Yankee Stadium a few times over the past couple of years, and while I still often see bums and ghetto looking people, nobody actually ever bothered me when I was walking down Grand Concourse. I actually feel a lot safer there then I did when I worked in Crown Heights/Brownsville a few months ago.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Bluedog the Democratic machine is firmly entrenched in the Bronx and is in fact the cause of why the Bronx is taking 1 step forward while the other boroughs are taking 2 or 3. As a result, while the Bronx is making progress, our Democratic representatives only allow progress in so much as it benefits them (keeps their base here and keeps them in power). A strategy they have been using for decades, which ultimately sunk the Bronx and keeps us from prospering.

I do not blame you, but I do blame our corrupt and incompetent officials in the Bronx, who are all Democrats and who have always been Democrats for decades. Why pretend like its another group raping the Bronx?

And our new BP Ruben Diaz jr. continues to support the Democratic machine of incompetence and corruption with his sinking of the Kingsbridge Armory Redevelopment. He used the same tried and true class warfare, racial politics, victimization, and extortion....and it did not work. And his own words summed it up when the Armory redevelopment failed. It was billed as a "win" by him and he said "We rather not work." These collosal failures have been always billed as a win, and we are always trained that "We rather not work and we deserve XYZ."

The Democrats have sunk this borough and continue to do so....I will assign blame squarely where it belongs, and to ignore the problems or the culprits just reinforces their behavior.

I can't believe it but I reped SOBRO on this one. He is 100% right on the filthy Democratic pimps that have so long screwed the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City