Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 121,699 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I had a previous thread posted asking your opinions about Brooklyn vs. Queens. Thanks for everyones help. I have decided to really look into Astoria. I researched it and visited a few times and I am really starting to like it. But I get confused when they talk about the different areas of it...for example, LIC, Sunnyside, Ditmars, Steinway etc. I sort of understand the concept of it all but I am wondering what areas you all would recommend based on safety and excitement...i don't want nothing quiet, I like the craziness of people all over the place, but at the same time I don't want to put myself in an area with higher crime rates. I moved to NY from MI and am currently living in Yonkers (boring!!) so I'm looking forward to the move. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,207,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprinceza View Post
Hi guys,

I had a previous thread posted asking your opinions about Brooklyn vs. Queens. Thanks for everyones help. I have decided to really look into Astoria. I researched it and visited a few times and I am really starting to like it. But I get confused when they talk about the different areas of it...for example, LIC, Sunnyside, Ditmars, Steinway etc. I sort of understand the concept of it all but I am wondering what areas you all would recommend based on safety and excitement...i don't want nothing quiet, I like the craziness of people all over the place, but at the same time I don't want to put myself in an area with higher crime rates. I moved to NY from MI and am currently living in Yonkers (boring!!) so I'm looking forward to the move. Thanks!
LIC and sunnyside are not astoria, astoria will be a lot like yonkers unless you want to hang out puffing hookahs with the arabs

Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM
M|L

20 posts, read 152,204 times
I've been visiting Astoria for apartments as well, and I find Steinway St. to be the area where you find nice restaurants, bars, and such are located. Astoria is pretty big, but the center of activity seems to be concentrated along that street. I'm sure a resident of Astoria will give you a better answer and hidden night spots. Astoria is also 15-20 minutes to midtown Manhattan, and there's no doubt you will find exciting nightlife there.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:19 PM

Kort:
I'm middle eastern, so puffing away with the arabs isn't much of a problem for me

ML:
I'll look into Steinway a bit more, but from what you have seen, do you think its a safe place to live? Is there certain areas I should avoid?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM

127 posts, read 635,849 times
The apartment I just took is in the Ditmars area. Based on the apartment prices, personal observation, and the opinions of friends living nearby, Steinway probably isn't the nicest place in Astoria to live. There are lots of stores and stuff on Steinway, which is great, but there's also lots of congestion, and it just doesn't strike me as being as "nice" as Ditmars. You'll probably pay more in Ditmars than in other areas of Astoria, on average. Other popular areas include those surrounding Broadway and 30th Avenue.

A tip: the distinction between Astoria and "greater LIC" is very blurry for basically everybody -- and brokers/landlords use this to their advantage. I looked at two apartments that were supposedly in Astoria, but really weren't -- they were in more industrial areas with no stores, tons of graffiti, and totally desolate streets. I don't really have an answer to the question of where the border really is, but if it's very far from the subway (which runs along 31 St), that's probably a bad sign. The bottom line is, you really have to just start looking at places and use your eyes and ears to scope out the neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:33 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,625 times
There's a big Arab center, and since I'm of Lebanese heritage, it's a great place to hang on Friday Nights. Sadly, most of the Arab's are Muslim, old (as in 45ish), and immigrants, wheras I'm a Christian, 18, and American born.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 AM

646 posts, read 1,611,081 times
As mentioned by babadi, the boundaries of Astoria are fuzzy. But Sunnyside and LIC are not in Astoria, but border it instead.

The three main areas of commercial activity in Astoria border Ditmars Blvd, Broadway, 21st Str. and Steinway. I would not want to live on any of these streets, but rather one street over, or on a side street.

Ignore the crack about hookah bars. There is a 2 block stretch of Steinway where these dominate, but other than that very small area, they are non-existent.

Astoria is known as a Greek neighborhood, but there are also Italian, Arabic, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern populations. Plus a bunch of generic northern European types. There are not very many African Americans for some reason.

I cannot think of any areas of to specifically avoid. I personally would not want to live in the area south of Astoria Park, but that is mainly a feeling, and not because of any particular crime problem.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
M|L

Yeah, definitely don't want to live ON the streets where the center activities are concentrated at, but live close to it. From what I can see, there are neighborhoods where nice houses, apartments and condo-like buildings line the streets and it's very clean, quite, and friendly, and there are places where industrial and warehouse buildings pack together and they're rather unsightly. The area around the 46st subway stop (on the R and V trains) I find to be very very nice. I've also been advised to check out Ditmars, but it's pretty far up and I haven't had the chance to see the neighborhood. However, I did go see some apartments up there and they were among the best I've seen so far in Astoria.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 PM

I actually have checked out the areas and honestly I'm in love with it I think its perfect for what I am looking for. But if I would be living farther from the main streets and all, would you guys still say I would be ok without a car?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 PM
M|L

car.... well, first of all, parking will be your single biggest hassle in owning a car.

if you live in New York (and are not super rich), then I'd advise against the car idea. learn to enjoy walking and taking public transportation like the rest of us.

getting an apartment within the vincinity of a subway stop would save you a lot of energy and trouble when it comes to communting from where you live to the rest of the city (especially after a long day of work you really woudn't feel like walking 8 blocks to reach your door).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City