Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Well my trip is up and running and all i need to do is get the flights and i am sorted.

I will be staying in the Chelsea Savoy Hotel. Is this hotel good to stay in? I was going to do the hostel thing but for $99 (£60) a night i thought why not.

My trip will be scheduled as best i can and how i will try and get it done. It leaves me alot of room to maneuver and do other things so im looking forward to it. What will i expect though from the trip, i.e New Yorkers, the sites and the experience as a whole?
Hi!

When are you going to be here an how long are you staying? What are your particular interests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM

591 posts, read 925,405 times
End of June for a week.

Music, sport and site seeing are interests of mine.

I'm hoping to get tickets for a Yankees match, see alot of the sites central park ect and maybe get to a broadway show.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Imagine London but 3 x more everything. You'll feel like an ant coming from Europe where there aren't many skyscrapers and the streets aren't as dense. You'll like it though.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 PM

69 posts, read 119,305 times
Quote:
End of June for a week.

I'm hoping to get tickets for a Yankees match, see alot of the sites central park ect and maybe get to a broadway show.
As a Mets fan, I would like to remind people there are two baseball teams in this city. I would politely recommend also going to a Mets game at Citi Field. Just take the seven train out to Mets-Willets Point from 42nd street.

But if you do plan to attend any baseball game, try to get tickets before the game and make sure the team is in New York and not on the road.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:43 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Forget the baseball games. Only a yank would pay so much to see something so boring. The real sports action in June is at Belmont Park.

Quote:
End of June for a week.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
As a Mets fan, I would like to remind people there are two baseball teams in this city. I would politely recommend also going to a Mets game at Citi Field. Just take the seven train out to Mets-Willets Point from 42nd street.

But if you do plan to attend any baseball game, try to get tickets before the game and make sure the team is in New York and not on the road.

Lol. Friendly Rivalry.

Quote:
End of June for a week.

Yankees will start selling regular season tickets, around April. If you want to see them play (make sure it's a home game) You'll have to buy the tickets the same day they release. More specifically, the Yankees sell out very fast and if they do sell out you'll have to buy your tickets from like a third party. Which I don't like but I've done it before.

You're staying a week so you'll have time to see some places in each borough of NYC. June is a great time to walk the bridges - Brooklyn and Williamsburg, undoubtedly. You could visit the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, Prospect Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park (which has the best views for Lower Manhattan.) Visit Queens - Check out the Museum Of The Moving Image And the Unisphere. Staten Island has a pretty cool lighthouse as well. (don't know much about our little sister Borough Lol.

Of Course Manhattan will be fun - - -SoHo, Top Of The Rock, Times Square (if you REALLY want to be a tourist Lol nothing wrong with that) and plenty of other places.

Bottom line you'll be here for a week, this city is big, so explore and enjoy the great weather we'll have!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Forget the baseball games. Only a yank would pay so much to see something so boring. The real sports action in June is at Belmont Park.
Lol

Baseball is a SPORT! I hate it when people say it's boring (not really it's your opinion). I really don't think it's boring. It's a game and I've been addicted since I was a little guy. I was actually bored at a horse race. I guess the feeling is mutual for you & baseball as it is for me and horse races.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 AM

23 posts, read 23,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Many NYC subway stations have one entrance for one direction while having another entrance (across the street typically) for the other direction. a/k/a separate entrances. If you see a station sign saying "________ only" (usually in white letters) then you need to ask yourself "Is this the direction I need?" before you enter. For the larger stations, e.g., Union Square, Times Square, Grand Central, etc. you can pretty much use any entrance, then worry about direction once you're down below. But it's still a good habit to read the signs even for the large stations.

You can transfer to a NYC bus for free with your Metrocard as long as the time lapse between subway swipe and bus swipe is 2 hours or less. Here are your other options for Metrocard: MTA/New York City Transit - MetroCard (Avoid the options designed for us locals/working stiffs!) For the Unlimited Ride Metrocard, you need to wait 18 minutes between each use. See MTA/New York City Transit - Unlimited Ride MetroCard Conditions of Use This is the "pass" you mentioned in post #5.
I have some question...WHat it mean JFK?Now much coast 30 day metro card?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default don't bore the tourists they will never return

Baseball is a game for children. The fact that baseball is mainstream and widely popular does not make it acceptable adult entertainment. Consider the facts.

For me it was fun when I was on a little league team but geez that time has passed. Someone from England is going to have a better time spending $2 to go to a horsetrack than spending $50 to be bored off their ass at a baseball game. Horseracing is one of the most popular sports in the UK, baseball is nonexistent there. At least at a horsetrack you can yell your lungs out and win a few thousand bucks; at a baseball game they need all sorts of horns and other AV prompts to keep the crowd from nodding off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Lol

Baseball is a SPORT! I hate it when people say it's boring (not really it's your opinion). I really don't think it's boring. It's a game and I've been addicted since I was a little guy. I was actually bored at a horse race. I guess the feeling is mutual for you & baseball as it is for me and horse races.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Baseball is a game for children. The fact that baseball is mainstream and widely popular does not make it acceptable adult entertainment. Consider the facts.

For me it was fun when I was on a little league team but geez that time has passed. Someone from England is going to have a better time spending $2 to go to a horsetrack than spending $50 to be bored off their ass at a baseball game. Horseracing is one of the most popular sports in the UK, baseball is nonexistent there. At least at a horsetrack you can yell your lungs out and win a few thousand bucks; at a baseball game they need all sorts of horns and other AV prompts to keep the crowd from nodding off.
I'll just say this to each his own. . . Oh and fun fact,

Baseball originated in England. And my team is The BEST paid sports team IN THE WORLD.

Horse racing didn't make the list. I'm sure he'll like baseball because he said HE wanted to see The Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City