Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM

54 posts, read 374,046 times

Advertisements

It made me quite sad to read some of the posts in another Bronx thread, and to also read that St. James Park has been overtaken by gangs. I have nothing but fond memories of the park. Growing up in the mid to late 60s, the park was a beautiful place where families gathered, kids went sledding on snowy days and toddlers played in the sandboxes. During the holiday season, you could always count on the holiday tree going up in the park. I loved crossing the park for the purpose of shopping at Alexanders on Fordham Rd. The toy section on the third floor was my favorite place to visit. Another fond memory is of going to Phil's candy store (news stand), on the corner of Kingsbridge Rd. and Creston Ave. to fill a brown paper bag with penny candy. Boy, do I feel old now! I also remember my parents keeping an account at the local grocery store, also on Jerome Ave. across from the Park. The guy would tally our bill on the bag itself using a pencil he kept behind his ear, then he would note the amount in one of those black and white marbled school composition notebooks. At the end of the month, my dad would pay what we owed. It was basically an honor system. If I recall, the owner's name was George, and he had a young son named Billy.

I lived directly across the street from the park on Jerome Ave., and back then, that particular Bronx neighborhood was very much family oriented and had that true sense of community. To this day, I can't believe that young mothers would leave their babies strapped in their strollers in the vestibule when visiting the Associated Supermarket for groceries. What trust...or better yet, what ignorance. Were times safer back then? Crime was probably something that wasn't reported back then as much.

Approximately 2 years ago, I made a trip back to my old stomping grounds with my younger brother. I could not believe the deterioration that had occurred since we left the area. The streets were filthy with litter. As we walked into the park, we continuously had to watch our steps to avoid stepping on dog feces that was all over the place. Pretty gross. The entrance to our building showed extreme signs of wear and gross neglect by the landlord. In a nutshell, the place resembled more of a war devastated zone than the area I knew and loved as a kid.

I recently keep hearing that the Bronx will once again make a resurgence. I sincerely hope this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 12:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,214 times
I have fond memories of St James too... I went to nursery school there in 1970. I grew up across from Poe Park on Kingsbridge, so it was bit of a walk but I remember it as being a nice one. Things have certainly changed over the decades.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:01 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,462 times
Stanford,

After I got out of the service in 1960 I worked at Alexander's on Fordham Road. At the time I lived on 174th St. & Montgomery Ave (just off of University Ave.)

Do you remember Jahn's ice cream parlor on Fordham Rd.? I worked there when I was a kid.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Blame the Saint James Boys. They start a lot of bull**** in that park. Also D.D.P., Latin Kings, Bloods and Crips. They should declare martial law and let people give these thugs what they deserve.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Stanford,

After I got out of the service in 1960 I worked at Alexander's on Fordham Road. At the time I lived on 174th St. & Montgomery Ave (just off of University Ave.)

Do you remember Jahn's ice cream parlor on Fordham Rd.? I worked there when I was a kid.
norm, I most certainly remember Jahn's! I also remember always wanting to order "The Kitchen Sink"!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I have fond memories of St James too... I went to nursery school there in 1970. I grew up across from Poe Park on Kingsbridge, so it was bit of a walk but I remember it as being a nice one. Things have certainly changed over the decades.
Poe Park was the place where we as kids would gather and run around the rotunda. I wonder if still exists. I remember being very curious about Poe Cottage and wondering how someone could actually live in such a tiny house. Our parents would sit by the benches and talk about wanting to live in one of the Grand Concourse apartments. On occasion, my mom and aunt would sneak off to the nearby Robert Hall department store while the men waited by the benches.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
Poe Park was the place where we as kids would gather and run around the rotunda. I wonder if still exists. I remember being very curious about Poe Cottage and wondering how someone could actually live in such a tiny house. Our parents would sit by the benches and talk about wanting to live in one of the Grand Concourse apartments. On occasion, my mom and aunt would sneak off to the nearby Robert Hall department store while the men waited by the benches.

Stanford,

I worked at Robert Hall for one year. Jahn's was a great job. They made their own ice cream and whipped cream in the basement and whenever we went to get a new supply we would eat ourselves sick.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,214 times
Jahn's was always a very special treat for us. Then it closed and became a Beefsteak Charlie's. I remember walking down those steep stairs down the block to Webster Ave to go to the Library.

I believe the rotunda/bandstand is still in Poe park. The liitle cottage always intrigued me, epcially after reading some of Poe's work.

Robert Hall... forgot all about that. When they cemented the exterior and placed all of that pea-gravel in it, I was mischievous enough to place my hand directly into it. Man, was my mother mad!

Used to get my haircut at Rocco's on Valentine across the street from the Pick-n-Save, one of the last grocery stores that delivered!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Jahn's was always a very special treat for us. Then it closed and became a Beefsteak Charlie's. I remember walking down those steep stairs down the block to Webster Ave to go to the Library.

I believe the rotunda/bandstand is still in Poe park. The liitle cottage always intrigued me, epcially after reading some of Poe's work.

Robert Hall... forgot all about that. When they cemented the exterior and placed all of that pea-gravel in it, I was mischievous enough to place my hand directly into it. Man, was my mother mad!

Used to get my haircut at Rocco's on Valentine across the street from the Pick-n-Save, one of the last grocery stores that delivered!
The Bainbridge Library was also a favorite spot for us, especially since the smaller library on Claflin Ave. was so tiny.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,000 times
There's a brand new state of the art library that opened across the street from the old one on Kingsbridge near Poe Park. Absolutely beautiful, and they have cultural events there too.

Poe Park was recently renovated and they are working on a visitor's center for the cottage. They dismantled the benches outside the periphery of the park so there are no more "tailgate parties" with vans blasting loud music.

St. James is being renovated too, I think, but still seems sort of run down to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City