Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:18 AM

323 posts, read 940,570 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

As I type this I am DESPERATELY hoping that I may land a job in NYC soon working in Manhattan with an 85K salary. I'm still waiting on the chance to interview, so this isn't really in full swing yet and I'm not actively looking for apts. online. Chances are that if it works out I'll probably stay in Queens with my step brother for awhile so I'm not paying a broker to secure a sight unseen apt.

Anyway, to get back to my actual questions:

What exactly are the amenities of a "doorman" apt?

Is it the added security of someone admitting guests, etc?

Elevators and package delivery?

Is there anything else they do or any other benefit?

I'm used to renting in smaller, spread out 2 story modern apt. buildings, or brownstones and the like which I lived in in Chicago. I haven't lived in NYC or so I'd like to get a better idea of what advantage a doorman apt would pose. I would probably be pretty willing to live in a 2nd or 3rd story walk up, but much higher then that is out of the question. Moving into a 4th story apt in Chicago nearly killed me. I had muscle spasms in my back afterward from hauling crap up the stairs. Carrying a bike on your shoulder up all those stairs got old too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
It depend on the doorman building with amenities . I work as a doorman. The only benefit of the door towards the tenant is packages and deliveries such as dry cleaning and grocers. If your not home and have packages doorman stuff will obtain the deliveries secure and hold it for you. Goodluck trying to make 85k and wanting to live in a doorman building such as a condo or coop which have many amenties like storage laundry pools and workout facilities. If your looking for an apartment to rent that has a doorman pm and I will help you out.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,811,510 times
No comment.
None at all.
85k and he thinks he gets a doorman.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 PM

323 posts, read 940,570 times
Jesus I'm not even thinking I'm getting a doorman, I'm just trying to understand what the difference is between a doorman apt and a regular one.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,527 times
you pretty much named it. security, packages/mail/deliveries accepted, and they keep the building operating smoothly (i.e. making deliveries use service entrances, etc). Plus they announce your guests for you.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,527 times
and also guys, they could prob get a small/mid size studio in a doorman building on that salary- I have a friend in midtown who has a decent studio for 2100 a month in a beautiful doorman building.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,802 times
Ha wow I don't know much about nyc so can't really help you there, but I wanted to let you know that kingfish22's comment was absurdly rude and nothing in your original post would lead any reasonable person to think that you felt "entitled" to a doorman building (as if that is some princely privilege for a chosen few). Good luck with your job search!

Old 10-09-2010, 05:07 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
That's pretty much it. The main thing is security.

However, it sounds as though you mistakenly believe that only doorman buildings have elevators, which isn't so. There are many buildings that have elevators, and supers, too, just not doormen.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,594 times
It really helps if you receive a high-volume of packages(like ordering on-line a lot). I live in one now and used to live in a 3 story walk-up and my packages were either left on the outside stairs(exposed to theft) or i'd have to go to the UPS/FedEx office and wait in line forever to pick up my package.

It helps with security too but not as much as you may think.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:18 PM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
As for the security thing, the doorman acts more as a deterrant, but bad things can still happen. maybe a week or so ago a college student drug dealer was blown away in a huge doorman bldng ( I think it was 2 Gold st in the financial district IIRC) . Comments in the papers had other tenants saying how the doormen never checked very hard who was comng and going.

Another thing: doormen can be notrious gossips since they see who's coming with you, how often they do it, what type of packages you get, etc etc etc. Depending on what you're doing this can either work against you or for you. just remember how many cases on Law & Order get broken when the cops talk to the doorman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City