Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,600,155 times

Advertisements

OP: After reading your opening post and not the rest of the thread, I say look for something in Midtown Manhattan. Don't let anyone tell you that there aren't residential high-rises in Midtown. There are. Not tons and tons but they're there. If they say "Midtown is not a residential area", guess what- that *is* true because it's tons of corporations and smaller businesses, but my statement is also true. Try the Columbus Circle area or the area just south of it (the "Theater District"). In my book, both those areas are practically Midtown. Generally, it's great to live close to the office, but remember some unscrupulous bosses might try to exploit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 AM

756 posts, read 2,281,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Ew, the East Village is full of "party people" who don't want to mature. Lobbies that stink of puke, etc. Mosty walk-up buildings from what I've visited. These party people are a mixture of edgy youngsters and semi-frat-types in my experience.
Wow, way to generalize much?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 PM

85 posts, read 178,372 times
Live close to a good bar or two. Neighborhood unimportant. LOL

Old 12-28-2010, 04:25 PM

904 posts, read 2,876,648 times
Quote:
Sorry, bluedog2, but the hipsters in Brooklyn and Queens only scoff at Manhattanites because they can't afford to live there. The "scene" in the Village is much better than anything you'll find in an outer borough.
I don't really consider myself a "hipster" (who does, right?) and I certainly do not scoff at Manhattanites (live wherever you want), but, for the record, even if I were making 95k like the OP, I'd be living in Brooklyn. I actively prefer it - and not just because of 'the scene,' though I do prefer going out in Brooklyn, generally. It's more my pace, my style, the neighborhoods are nicer. I lived in Manhattan during college, and that was enough for me. If I was pulling in 95k, I'd get myself a nice one-bedroom in Brooklyn and live it up.

And I'm not the only one. Most people I know have absolutely no desire to live in Manhattan. Sure, some wound up in Brooklyn or Queens because they couldn't afford Manhattan, and then wound up embracing it, but still - the idea that all young Brooklynites are just poor wannabe Manhattanites is entirely mistaken. It's reflective of a Manhattan-centric worldview that fails to take into account what makes the rest of us tick. Don't mean to sound insulting, as I've certainly got nothing against Manhattan or the people who live there. I just prefer living in Brooklyn - or the outer boroughs generally - as difficult as that may be for some to understand.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM

100 posts, read 249,125 times
My 26 year old son works in the financial industry and you need to go out in manhattan for networking purposes. I recommend Murray Hill for the east side and the Upper West Side for west side of manhattan. If you are considering NJ look in Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City