Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM

461 posts, read 2,002,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Spread collusion, it's the landlord way.....!!!!!!
Correction, collusion is only the NYC landlord way BECAUSE the city through rent stabilization took it upon itself to STRIP away the entitled rights of a property owner. So since the city is screwing us, we screw them back. Remember, it ain't a crime unless you get caught....boohaaa (Dr. Evil laugh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,407,271 times
I like the word caboose! Nevertheless, bluedog's statement (as usual) is correct. If you are looking for middle class families to move in...that's not how communities revitalize...it is either from within, and/or from the gays and alternative lifestyle folks (like hipsters, artists, etc) who move in start to reshape the community...and that's what happened in the LES, and is happening in East Harlem. Nobody sends their kids to public school in LES by the way..at least nobody with any means..and it certainly is not a place for middle income families.

Being in, or close to Manhattan plays the largest role...and the South Bronx has that already.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM

45 posts, read 99,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
How can anyone call the LES or East Harlem " gentrified" or even gentrifying?
Both are still in the top 5 highest crime precincts in the whole city.
A Map of Crime Rates in Each City Precinct -- New York Magazine
I wouldn't consider living in most of either place and there are plenty of parts of The Bronx(even South) that i would.

How can you make a sweeping statement like"The Bronx has a bad reputation.Families would never move there,the public schools are terrible."? I have fellow teachers with families that are buying houses and apartments in The Bronx( including The South) like crazy.Some of them are 2 teacher( 2 income) families.
The Bronx is like the rest of the city.Yes,some of the schools are terrible but many of them are not.There are some very decent schools scattered around The Bronx, so please try to not make such sweeping statements.

As to middle class people not moving into neighborhoods with low incomes, it hasn't stopped people from moving into Williamsburg,where the median household income is still only 24,000 !
Williamsburg People & Williamsburg Demographics - Zillow Local Info
First, East Harlem is gentrifying. Why do you see all these people asking about East Harlem nowadays? The L.E.S. has bee gentrified for a long time. Most crime is concentrated along Ave D near those housing projects.

Second, Williamsburg is hipster central. Families don't really move to Williamsburg, I don't know much about the school system there. This may just be a stereotype, but aren't hipsters all trust funders, or do they work at cafes and stuff like that? Thats probably why the average income is so low.

Third, yes all South Bronx public schools, that are not charter or alternative schools are terrible. Give me one good public school in The South Bronx. The Bronx is a large borough, so naturally there will be some good schools, but The South Bronx has the worst schools in the borough.

Maybe The South Bronx is gentrifying, I just don't see it.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:05 PM

It is not gentrifying..it is revitalizing. What's the difference you say? Well I am glad you asked! The changes that are occuring in the Southern Bronx (and by that I specifically mean the geographical South Bronx: Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Concourse, Melrose, Woodstock, Port Morris) are driven by and for the community, not by transplants/speculators/investors. The residents have come together to reshape the community and are doing so for the community to benefit, not to make way for others.

That being said, due to the rapidly increasing cost of living in much of the rest of the city (specifically within close proximity to Manhattan), the South Bronx is becoming the de facto choice for those who either will stay in NYC or are forced to leave (generally working class people). And with a substantial amount of wharehouses and underutilized facilities spread across the extreme southern portion of the community, there is a huge amount of space available to provide a home for the future working/middle class of NYC. The city has already rezoned a huge swath of the area for mixed-use residential development...the wheels are already turning.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 08-13-2010 at 05:47 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM

34,178 posts, read 47,465,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is not gentrifying..it is revitalizing. What's the difference you say? Well I am glad you asked! The changes that are occuring in the Southern Bronx (and by that I specifically mean the geographical South Bronx: Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Concourse, Melrose, Woodtsock, Port Morris) are driven by and for the community, not by transplants/speculators/investors. The residents have come together to reshape the community and are doing so for the community to benefit, not to make way for others.

That being said, due to the rapidly increasing cost of living in much of the rest of the city (specifically within close proximity to Manhattan), the South Bronx is becoming the de facto choice for those who either will stay in NYC or are forced to leave (generally working class people). And with a substantial amount of wharehouses and underutilized facilities spread across the extreme southern portion of the community, there is a huge amount of space available to provide a home for the future working/middle class of NYC. The city has already rezoned a huge swath of the area for mixed-use residential development...the wheels are already turning.
the revitilization concept of yours is pretty savvy. and i agree that is whats happening in south bronx rite now...but the proximity to manhattan man...20 years from now i really believe you will see the "gentry" gentrifying....all the south bronx is waiting on is east harlem....after that its off to the races...

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-13-2010, 05:52 PM

I would say it is possible for pockets that are undeveloped thusfar can be completely repositioned and devoured by gentrification from outside parties, but who knows. I really see the community becoming a working/middle class enclave in the next 10-20 years.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 PM

45 posts, read 99,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would say it is possible for pockets that are undeveloped thusfar can be completely repositioned and devoured by gentrification from outside parties, but who knows. I really see the community becoming a working/middle class enclave in the next 10-20 years.
I doubt it. There are two possible outcomes for The South Bronx, IMO.

1)Most people who were displaced from previous neighborhoods move to The Bronx.

OR

2)The South Bronx gentrifies, much like Harlem or other low-income neighborhoods have gentrified.

IMO, The 1st option is more likely, but anything can happen.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 PM

The way the South Bronx has developed (or not) over the last 30 years...it is hard for any local to try and predict what its future may be in the next 10-20 years, let alone an outsider. I have learned that anything can happen..and if the city decides to simply reposition the housing projects to mixed income populations, all bets are off and who knows what will happen. I don't have any of the answers, but I suspect there are more possible scenarios for the future of the South Bronx than the two you have listed. I see a mixed income/population in its future, but to what degree, and what kind of population I have no idea.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM

556 posts, read 1,447,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Between the logistic relocation of the Crips, the Bloods and MS-13 from the bronx to Long Island,
MS-13 just started in the BX, they been on LI...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City