Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 PM

655 posts, read 1,993,510 times

Advertisements

I'm a Queens native but am fascinated by the other boroughs especially the Bronx and Brooklyn since I don't get to those too often though I attend a lot of Yankee games in the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,292,671 times
The reason why I mentioned the Bronx being slightly more dangerous than Brooklyn is because although Brooklyn may pump out more violent crimes annually, the higher population, the fact that there are more low crime nabes in Brooklyn than the Bronx, on top of the steady gentrification wave that's taking place helps "soften the blow" if you will, on the borough's crime rate.

The Bronx on the other hand has a much lower pop (1.4mil BX vs 2.6mil BK -- almost half), but nearly the same number of violent crimes per year (I would estimate it around 60-70% of BK's numbers). Also there are less low crime areas in the BX, and even those areas are starting to decay (Van Nest, Morris Park, Bedford Park, Kingsbridge, parts of Throggs Neck, etc) so crime is more widespread.

In addition, the Bronx is seeing an influx of of poor residents and immigrants while the the yuppification of BK is intensifying. So in essence, if by dangerous you're going by just the body count, then Brooklyn wins, but if by dangerous you're going by the likelihood of you being a victim of a violent crime, then I would give it to the Bronx. Just wanted to clear that up.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,292,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
None of the boroughs is really very dangerous although each contains some fairly dangerous pockets.Even the most dangerous precincts of Brooklyn,Manhattan(Harlem,Washington Heights) or The Bronx have crime rates significantly lower than most major cities in the US.

What this means is that the average neighborhood in Philadelphia,St Louis,Detroit,New Orleans,Miami,Baltimore,Memphis, Washington,D.C,Newark,Cleveland,Kansas City,Cincinnati and Oakland has a higher crime rate than the NYC precincts with the highest crime rates.

If you look at the crime rates of whole boroughs, as opposed to the worst precincts in the boroughs ,an overwhelming majority of US cities show higher rates.Even a cities perceived as very safe,like Boston and San Francisco,have higher violent crime rates than The Bronx.
Good post. In the grand scheme of things, you're right. Brooklyn and the Bronx are probably a cake walk compared to Baltimore or Philly.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM

164 posts, read 366,279 times
well i appreciate the input thanks a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City