Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2023, 05:41 AM

66 posts, read 51,788 times

Advertisements

1 Bed, 1 Bath
450 East 20th Street, Apt 0MG
Available Now
$2865.10
Min Income Required: $98,231.98
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=2n1JBc91dTb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2023, 05:45 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
^^^

This one has come around before. It’s in a very good location, should be quiet, and up one level (it’s not on the ground floor). Plus it has a galley kitchen, which seems more spacious than the typical ST triangular layout. For this price, I’m surprised no one has snatched it up already.

Old 10-02-2023, 06:17 AM

66 posts, read 51,788 times
1 Bed, 1 Bath

272 First Avenue, Apt 04C

Available Now

$3331.86
Min Income Required: $114,235.36

Old 10-02-2023, 07:14 AM

63 posts, read 37,543 times
I finally received the link to Obligo and laid out first month's rent +$1,000 security. No lease yet or email about reserving an elevator for my move, keys, security cards etc. I keep calling, but it goes to vm. meanwhile, I'm just packing up and getting quotes from movers today. I'm curious about the "renovated" lottery apartments - where the kitchen doesn't have the full cabinets or backsplash etc. and no microwave - I am assuming that Blackstone is doing the bare minimum renovations required under the rent stabilization law (the $75,000 one). I'm wondering if all lottery apartments are being renovated to this standard even if you get a "modern" or "platinum" apartment, or are they only renovating the lottery apartments that have original 1947 finishes? I can't imagine them pulling down a modern finish kitchen and bath that was renovated maybe less than 5-10 years ago. Any thoughts from the group? I asked the Lottery agent about it, and his answer was that he didn't know!

Old 10-02-2023, 07:32 AM

25 posts, read 24,071 times
I believe you will keep the platinum renovations, that would be the difference in price between the apartments closer to the $2,000 range and those that are $3,000+

I spoke with someone in the lottery office and asked why lottery apartment recipients are not allowed to view their apartments before signing a lease. I was told this is not like the usual procedure for leasing an apartment, it is an affordable housing program and you are accepted to the program when you sign a lease, and are then permitted to view. It’s probably fine but I have seen some crazy things when I’ve gone to view available apartments in NYC.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:39 AM

I believe Liz083 is correct. The only apartments receiving the 2021 lottery renovation are the ones who had been occupied by longtime residents and still had the 1947 kitchens and bathrooms. This is the renovation Sabavoon’s apartment got. It may be “bare bones” but it looks great to me, with stainless steel appliances, a dishwasher, and AC units included. (I have the 1947 style.)

The reason is that landlords are now allowed to spend only $15,000 on the renovation, not $75,000.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-02-2023 at 08:00 AM..

Old 10-02-2023, 08:07 AM

25 posts, read 24,071 times
Agreed Macnyc, Sabavoon’s apartment is awesome! I would probably put a mini bar in the open space in the kitchen where they did not install cabinets.

Old 10-02-2023, 08:20 AM

Yes, Sabavoon lucked out! It would be easy to add a freestanding rolling cart or counter on the kitchen. I would also figure out something to hide the two pipes that are sticking up, but that’s it. I am very jealous!

Old 10-02-2023, 09:03 AM

63 posts, read 37,543 times
I'm not saying Sabavoon's apartment is not nice, I was concerned about my apartment which already has a modern kitchen finish, not a 1947 kitchen. Of course, I would be ecstatic for the partially renovated kitchen over a 1947 kitchen! Sbavoon's apartment is lovely and mine is the same layout but a D line - I have modern finishes and the "new" floors (not parquet) too. Thanks for your advice and input.

Old 10-02-2023, 11:10 AM

199 posts, read 219,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurryHillMomma View Post
Hi Sabavoon! How did your move go today? I was wondering did they ever add the cabinets next to the stove? Also, I just paid my first month's rent and the $1,000 deposit on Obligo today but not the lease yet. I can't get a straight answer from the Stuytown Lottery people about the condition of my apartment which is 14 D, similar to your layout - are they renovating all of the lottery apartments? it says they are on the offer letter. Yours was renovated - new floors and new everything in the kitchen and bath it looks like from your video. I'm wondering if they did that to mine as well even though it was a "Modern" finish originally and really nice already. Also on the offer letter it says there's no microwave which is bizarre, but it looks like from your video you don't have one installed either. I would love to get your take on all of it. My move in date is at the end of October. Thanks!
My apartment has the lottery finishes. On the side of the stove, there is a huge empty space. I added a countertop on my own (my brother did it). The lack of ceiling light is a little annoying but I got some standing lamps from Amazon and in my son's room, I installed a track light (plug-in).

My friends moved in August and got a Classic Finish (brand new appliances). So it depends on the previous tenant. My previous tenant was in the apartment for 20+ years, so I got the lottery finish like Sabavoon. The bathrooms in my case have new toilets, refinished tub, painted tiles (it is peeling a little) and linoleum floors in the bathroom and kitchen. The wood floor was refinished. If you get a Classic or Platinum finish you should get a microwave (STPCV is not going to remove it and leave a huge gap on the top of the stove.

The Interior Design FB group has lots of ideas about sprucing up the bare lottery kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery