Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 07:27 PM

412 posts, read 593,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
I can see Gotham & other developments in LIC from SkyLounge terrace of my building https://imgur.com/a/19UVFBs
Very nice! any idea what the two beige/white buildings are in greenpoint next to 1 and 2 bs are? still in construction and they kind of look tetris-y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 07:31 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
Did you mean this one? These buildings will set aside 20% of their units for housing lottery in the future

https://newyorkyimby.com/2020/07/oma...-brooklyn.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
Very nice! any idea what the two beige/white buildings are in greenpoint next to 1 and 2 bs are? still in construction and they kind of look tetris-y

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 10-23-2021 at 08:18 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Did you mean this one? These buildings will set aside 20% of their units for housing lottery in the future

https://newyorkyimby.com/2020/07/oma...-brooklyn.html
Yep you found it! very cool! Yay for another lottery!

Old 10-26-2021, 12:48 PM

225 posts, read 304,820 times
I applied but my concern is its proximity to Newtown Creek, which is a superfund site. In the next 3-5 years the EPA is going to dredge down into the creek bed to remove a 15 foot thick layer of black sludge pollutants from chemical spills and raw sewage. It’s the most polluted waterway in North America and this building sits at the mouth of it.
I’ll throw my hat in and do more research.

Last edited by Vanta B; 10-26-2021 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 01:54 PM

603 posts, read 599,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanta B View Post
I applied but my concern is its proximity to Newtown Creek, which is a superfund site. In the next 3-5 years the EPA is going to dredge down into the creek bed to remove a 15 foot thick layer of black sludge pollutants from chemical spills and raw sewage. It’s the most polluted waterway in North America and this building sits at the mouth of it.
I’ll throw my hat in and do more research.
Interesting...found this from 2012:

A few important things to note: The Newtown Creek is a Superfund Site, if you live above or near the Meeker Ave plumes it’s important to get your home tested right away for harmful fumes, oil spills and bad odors are cause for action, houseplants can help improve air quality in your home, eating food from your garden may be contaminated with lead or other toxic chemical so test the soil, and composting, limiting the use of harmful cleaners in your home and adopting a tree are all ways you can directly act towards making Greenpoint a cleaner and healthier place.

Almost 10 years ago, things are better? Hope so.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:51 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanta B View Post
I applied but my concern is its proximity to Newtown Creek, ...
Applied also. My concern is the size of the tower, it's at least 33 stories, and if there are going to be long waits/trips with the elevators at peak times, plus the proximity to rising waters & the likelihood of flooding/power outages and potentially getting stuck on upper floors.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
Interesting...found this from 2012:

A few important things to note: The Newtown Creek is a Superfund Site, if you live above or near the Meeker Ave plumes it’s important to get your home tested right away for harmful fumes, oil spills and bad odors are cause for action, houseplants can help improve air quality in your home, eating food from your garden may be contaminated with lead or other toxic chemical so test the soil, and composting, limiting the use of harmful cleaners in your home and adopting a tree are all ways you can directly act towards making Greenpoint a cleaner and healthier place.

Almost 10 years ago, things are better? Hope so.
Unfortunately, it’s not better because the EPA hasn’t even started the remediation and removal process. They’re still in the “planning stage.” Time will do nothing to remove these specific pollutants, some of which have remained for decades and decades. Only physical removal, which may release more toxins into the surrounding community by disturbing it, can remove it.

Here’s more…

https://www.riverkeeper.org/blogs/do...two-superfund/

“Newtown Creek cleanup has been delayed years, mired in discussions over the “Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study.” Ongoing studies are expected to continue throughout 2022.

Newtown Creek is a larger waterbody than Gowanus Canal (3.8 miles to 1.8 miles), and its Greenpoint side is home to one of the largest North American oil spills – 50 percent larger than the Exxon Valdez disaster. Riverkeeper’s patrols and legal action catalyzed the cleanup of this area, where refining operations leaked oil and oil products into the soils and aquifers of Greenpoint over decades. Other manufacturing operations and ongoing sewage discharges have left thick layers of black mayonnaise and other contaminants.

As the remedial studies proceed, potentially responsible parties are taking advantage of the slow process and attempting to undermine the eventual remedy.”

Old 11-01-2021, 01:10 PM

More info on the vast oil/chemical spill under and around Newtown Creek, on both the Queens ans Brooklyn side.
https://gothamist.com/news/brooklyn-...d-site?image=3
It will be interesting to see if the developers disclose that this site is sitting at the mouth of a toxic waste dump to the Tenets.

Old 11-02-2021, 01:02 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,836,542 times
Residential Amenities Revealed For Gotham Point In Hunters Point South, Queens:

https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/11/res...th-queens.html

Old 11-02-2021, 03:11 PM

This lottery waiting time gets to me sometimes.. don't expect a log number for this til next february but the building looks finished
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery