Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 05:35 AM

233 posts, read 402,953 times

Advertisements

Thanks for letting us know, Mrspeel77. That's helpful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:23 PM

25 posts, read 48,408 times
Does anyone know when and if the lottery for Penn South will be open again? I have some friends and family that are curious.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:42 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstacy22 View Post
Does anyone know when and if the lottery for Penn South will be open again? I have some friends and family that are curious.
Since the apartments are more expensive and the list is shorter, my guess is that it will open again in approximately 5-7 years.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 AM

64 posts, read 176,652 times
curious to see how much the studio list has moved since February. Studio list appears to be crawling compared to the 1 bed list. This july will mark 2 years of the lottery start date... those years have flown by at least

Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4chelsea2 View Post
curious to see how much the studio list has moved since February. Studio list appears to be crawling compared to the 1 bed list. This july will mark 2 years of the lottery start date... those years have flown by at least
Yes, I am curious too about the studio list. The studio list is moving more slowly, but it's probably because there are fewer studio apartments in the whole complex. I think it's 255 total and over 1000 1 bedrooms. But, as you pointed out, it's gone by fast! And people have been called to look and buy almost immediately after the lottery and application process was complete, which I don't think was the case in past lotteries.

The good thing about having time is that I have been cleaning out my closets and getting rid of stuff I really don't need. It's funny that an item that I couldn't throw away five years ago now gets donated or tossed very easily.

Looking forward to the list update!

Old 07-14-2016, 12:50 PM

132 posts, read 219,743 times
The studio list has moved much faster than I expected. I was just under #400 on the studio list after the 2014 lottery and was offered an apartment for the first time in February (which I declined for various reasons, chief among them that it was my first rejection). From Dec '14 to Feb. '16 I moved up about 70 spots. They sent me another notice of apartment availability last month, and I said I would take any of the units that fell to me (I saw 2 apartments and had 7th choice of them). Obviously there are quite a few people on the list who have moved, do not qualify, can't come up with the financing, only want an apartment with a terrace, etc.

Not to be morbid, but I think the lists will continue to move quickly for at least a few more years, as original tenants continue to pass away (people who were in their mid twenties in 1962 are now in their late 70s/early 80s).

Old 07-15-2016, 06:18 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
Not to be morbid, but I think the lists will continue to move quickly for at least a few more years, as original tenants continue to pass away (people who were in their mid twenties in 1962 are now in their late 70s/early 80s).
This is actually true, on my floor alone 2 apartments (out of 8) went vacant for this reason and it looks like a 3rd will be soon since an elderly lady was taken to the hospital and likely will not return sadly.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 AM

Thanks, Incog79. Good luck with the process!

I have printed out all the studio floor plans, and I was wondering what lines you were shown. It looks like the E lines are non-balcony and there are some D lines that are both balcony or non, depending on the building. Were you shown any balcony apartments even though you didn't specifically request one? I'm still wondering how that works.

I have asked this question of others who have seen studios, but what is your impression of the size? I saw a video of 15E on youtube, and it seemed small (not that I'm complaining, just curious). I calculated the square footage by the scale on the floor plans, but I can't really visualize spatially as well as others, so any comments would be helpful.

And I don't think you are being morbid, just making an observation that is reasonable. That's probably at least one of the reasons that this list is moving so much faster than previous lists. The people on the 2014 list who had low numbers were called right away as opposed to waiting 10,12 or 15 years.

I hope you get an apartment soon! Good luck!

hkcg

Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
The studio list has moved much faster than I expected. I was just under #400 on the studio list after the 2014 lottery and was offered an apartment for the first time in February (which I declined for various reasons, chief among them that it was my first rejection). From Dec '14 to Feb. '16 I moved up about 70 spots. They sent me another notice of apartment availability last month, and I said I would take any of the units that fell to me (I saw 2 apartments and had 7th choice of them). Obviously there are quite a few people on the list who have moved, do not qualify, can't come up with the financing, only want an apartment with a terrace, etc.
We got our first letter last month, but were very low on the list. Did you get an apartment as #7?

Old 07-15-2016, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post

I have printed out all the studio floor plans, and I was wondering what lines you were shown. It looks like the E lines are non-balcony and there are some D lines that are both balcony or non, depending on the building. Were you shown any balcony apartments even though you didn't specifically request one? I'm still wondering how that works.

I have asked this question of others who have seen studios, but what is your impression of the size? I saw a video of 15E on youtube, and it seemed small (not that I'm complaining, just curious). I calculated the square footage by the scale on the floor plans, but I can't really visualize spatially as well as others, so any comments would be helpful.

hkcg
I also got a letter for this round. We saw #19D and #9E in the 2 building...erm...buildings. I'm sure there's a real phrase for that- the ones that are 2 buildings squished together. No balconies in either. I'd guess that all of the balconies will be accepted by people who actually requested them before they get to the flexible people.

They seem very small in person. There will be 2 people living in mine, so carving out space looks like it will be hard. It's especially hard since the living space is square- there's not an obvious spot for a couch and a bed. The lady at the desk said you can move up after 3 years, though, and I figure I can do anything for 3 years...especially if we're saving a bunch of money.

We're reserving our rejection for that one especially tiny apartment with no closets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery