Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 PM

31,957 posts, read 27,093,183 times

Advertisements

As with any other rental apartment in NYC tenants are governed by the terms of their original lease. This applies to "80/20" units as well. Unless there is a clause or clauses tying continued tenancy to income levels, the matter is moot after meeting initial requirements, approval and singing lease. Yes, annual recertification papers are required, but much of that seems to focus on making sure the original tenant or tenants are still living in the units. There are persons who won their lottery apartments back in the 1980's whose income is twice, thrice or more than it was back then and have no problems. Win the NYC Affordable Housing Lottery: How to Get an "80/20" Rental | Brick Underground

One of the biggest complaints from detractors of these "affordable" housing lotteries is that like the current RS apartment market it benefits those already in place. Only way someone can be removed from a RS 80/20 apartment presumably is if the rent and their income reaches "luxury decontrol" level.

Now NYCHA is another story. There it is made clear continued tenancy is tied to income and household size, and they will seek to move persons based upon changes. That being said it is a well known secret both to residents and NYCHA that a good number of households have income greater than what is on paper. NYT did a story about this a few weeks ago. They focused on adult employed children who have moved into their parent's NYCHA units. In practice Housing is supposed to be informed of this; but that could cause all sorts of problems....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 05:52 PM

20 posts, read 56,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Jonykh, so sorry to hear that! Did they give you a reason? If you don't agree with the reason, you should appeal.
Thank you macnyc2003

they send me an email saying that I am over income. Which is really not. I am waiting for the rejection letter to appeal.

does it take weeks to get the letter or few days?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:00 PM

4,783 posts, read 6,601,987 times
When my friend was rejected because of income, she received an email, and in the email were all the instructions on how to appeal. What did your email say?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:18 AM

It says that they will send me a rejection letter and I can appeal after I receive it !!!

Was your friend approved after appeal?

Old 03-26-2016, 10:27 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,249,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonykh View Post
I was rejected
Quote:
It says that they will send me a rejection letter and I can appeal after I receive it !!!

Was your friend approved after appeal?
Why were you rejected?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Yes, my friend was approved after her income was verified.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why were you rejected?
Hey livingsinglenyc

I got overtime 3 weeks ago which increased my income few hundreds over limit. Ironically, it was the only over- time I got since I started my job.

I am afraid even if they approve my appeal, they will put me on the waiting list.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Wow, that is a bummer. That overtime really cost you. Maybe if your boss wrote a letter to say that the overtime won't happen again, they won't consider it. I don't know how much flexibility they have.

Also, if they reconsider you later on, and you have to hand in fresh documents, that particular pay stub will be too old to count.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,249,368 times
Quote:
Hey livingsinglenyc

I got overtime 3 weeks ago which increased my income few hundreds over limit. Ironically, it was the only over- time I got since I started my job.

I am afraid even if they approve my appeal, they will put me on the waiting list.
Wow that's a bummer. A little extra money may have cost you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Wow, that is a bummer. That overtime really cost you. Maybe if your boss wrote a letter to say that the overtime won't happen again, they won't consider it. I don't know how much flexibility they have.

Also, if they reconsider you later on, and you have to hand in fresh documents, that particular pay stub will be too old to count.
This! Send in an appeal, saying it was overtime that is not typical, and get your boss to sign off on it. Be honest tell your boss your applying for affordable housing and the overtime may have cost you.
And no overtime now. cause if they accept your appeal they will require more current documents.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 PM

I told my boss about the problem and he will sign a new and more accurate verification letter taking into consider average weekly hours.

I won't get overtime no more because It is so hard to get in the company I work for. That overtime I got before was completely accident and is another example for NOTHING HAPPEN WITHOUT A REASON.

I have to wait for the rejection letter ( mail ) to send my new documents with.
I dont know when I will get it exactly, time is my enemy because during this time they may approve some one else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery