Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM

22 posts, read 73,825 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your quick reply. My heart just sank. I got a raise last year not enough to reduce financial woes but enough to get me rejected. Wow. My day is ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 14,032 times
When it comes to income with low income
Housing...all income is considered. I asked the same thing and they made it very clear. A lady in San Diego told me last week her neighbors told her they were a few dollars over (annual recertification) and they received a notice to move out. They are not being mean it's just the way it is. Keep in mind someone who makes a few dollars more than the limit would prevent you from getting a unit of they didn't enforce those rules.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:26 AM

Earlier in this thread according to a frequent poster here in NYC if you get a raise or income goes up your rent will be adjusted accordingly. You will not be asked to move out. I hope this is true. I've decided to hold on to hope. Maybe by the time I'm called I'll have another person living with me to account for my slight overage. First I have to get chosen! Fingers crossed.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:03 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaguy50 View Post
When it comes to income with low income
Housing...all income is considered. I asked the same thing and they made it very clear. A lady in San Diego told me last week her neighbors told her they were a few dollars over (annual recertification) and they received a notice to move out. They are not being mean it's just the way it is. Keep in mind someone who makes a few dollars more than the limit would prevent you from getting a unit of they didn't enforce those rules.
Alphaguy, no disrespect is intended by this, but the housing laws in San Diego do not apply to New York City. In NYC, generally, if you're in a rent-stabilized apartment (which is what most of the 80/20 buildings are) and your income goes up, you do not have to move out. Please don't alarm people by telling them what would happen in San Diego.

People are posting here because it is the New York City forum. Please post in the San Diego forum if that's what you're concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnlover03 View Post
Earlier in this thread according to a frequent poster here in NYC if you get a raise or income goes up your rent will be adjusted accordingly. You will not be asked to move out. I hope this is true. I've decided to hold on to hope. Maybe by the time I'm called I'll have another person living with me to account for my slight overage. First I have to get chosen! Fingers crossed.
Sunnlover, I think you're confusing two things. If you are being considered for an apartment, your household income must be within the range specified. If it is under or over by even a small amount, you won't be given the apartment.

Once you are living in the apartment, your income may increase over time. In some cases, depending on the building, you may get a rent increase. But you shouldn't have to leave.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-14-2016 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 06:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply. My heart just sank. I got a raise last year not enough to reduce financial woes but enough to get me rejected. Wow. My day is ruined.
If you have the time you can always just go through with the interview process to better inform you for the next one. They do calculate your income 3 different ways, current income, average of last 3 years income and projected income. Also do you have any savings? They take 2% of that and add it to your income, perhaps that could bring you to the next income bracket?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:10 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
Quote:
As Macnyc said Alphaguy50 is talking about affordable housing in another state so don't listen to what they said. The affordable housing lottery system is different in NYC. You won't be kicked out.
Also you can't just up and change what you applied for, you applied for yourself, you can't get called in and say now I have someone living with me.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 56,497 times
I send my papers to the company yesterday.
my income should be between 25000 and 30000. I am getting paid 16/hour. waiting...

Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 AM

I don't think I would be "up and changing" my situation for the purposes of getting an apartment. My niece has been contemplating living with me and if she moves in I would have to be honest about my recent changes. It's not just me, I'm a single parent with one child. Income is based on total number of occupants. I'm sorry if I was unclear. The process is long and it is very possible for an applicant's circumstances to change by the time the application is considered, i.e. getting a raise, increase in number of people living there, or having a baby. I'm sure this has happened before. I also realized the person was speaking about San Diego, however I am new to the forum and didn't feel comfortable stating "this is a NYC forum". I've reviewed all of the posts in this thread and the OP seems to be a great source of information. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:39 AM

20 posts, read 56,497 times
I was rejected

Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times
Jonykh, so sorry to hear that! Did they give you a reason? If you don't agree with the reason, you should appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery