Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 AM

7 posts, read 53,413 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to NOLA to start a new job and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience or knows anyone who has lived/is living at the apartments on 200 Carondelet. I have heard that this is a good apt. complex, though on the very expensive side.

Would you recommend any other apartment complexes close to Tulane Medical Center besides this one that are somewhat less expensive?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Default Apartments in Lower Garden District

There have been 23 views so far, but no responses, hence I'm going to rephrase my question.

Would you recommend any other apartment complexes in the lower garden district that rent in the range of $700 - $1100?

Any input is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:02 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,723,847 times
200 Carondolet is smack in the middle of downtown. Must be an office building conversion. It's got to be fairly new and nice and on the inbound streetcar line. It would certainly be convenient to Tulane Med Ctr, French Quarter, etc. Parking could be a problem if a space is not included with the apartment.

There are not many apartment "complexes" in the Lower Garden District. I would not recommend the Saulet or River Gardens - soulless and cheap construction. Maybe a warehouse district condo rental?

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,668 times
I dunno I think River Garden is nice for what it is...much nicer than the Saulet

Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 AM

Thank you for your input. Saulet was one of the choices I was considering and recommended by some of my future colleagues. The rent definitely seems to be on the higher side and if the construction is bad, I don't see a point in paying through the nose for that.

For parking spaces at Carondelet, its another $75-$150 on top of the rent. So i'm thinking that it might be over my budget. I will check out River Garden.

Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 AM

54 posts, read 282,421 times
There was a recent thread on River Garden. Be aware that it is government planned mixed income housing.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
200 Carondolet is smack in the middle of downtown. Parking could be a problem if a space is not included with the apartment.
You were absolutely right about the parking, the leasing agent finally returned my call after a wait of almost a week. She says that parking spaces are about 2.5 blocks away and there would be an additional $175/month for parking...just doesn't make any sense to me why they would have parking 2.5 blocks away and make the residents walk all the way. She didn't mention anything like a shuttle service that would transport people from the parking lot to the apartment. If there was one like that then I understand the charge of $175...Anyway, 200 Carondelet is off my list now.

Thanks for all your input folks!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,152 times
200 Carondelet is a mixed income property as well.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM

104 posts, read 476,376 times
you need to get a better handle on the layout of the city to make a better choice. 200 Carondelet is right off Canal Street, in the heart of the CBD (central business district), in other words, where everyone else commutes TO if they work downtown, so you're basically trying to find a place with parking in the heart of Manhattan--ok, not quite, but still--parking is a premium because commuters are coming downtown. As we've suggested to others in the past looking for apt's, you would do well to consider sth. besides the traditional high-rise apartment complex in NO, because they really are not the norm, at least within New Orleans proper. converted warehouse apartments (though they are likely more pricey), half-shotgun houses, and so on should also be on your list. there are a number of classified listings you can check out on-line

Old 11-29-2009, 04:18 PM

12 posts, read 44,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosubletapt View Post
You were absolutely right about the parking, the leasing agent finally returned my call after a wait of almost a week. She says that parking spaces are about 2.5 blocks away and there would be an additional $175/month for parking...just doesn't make any sense to me why they would have parking 2.5 blocks away and make the residents walk all the way. She didn't mention anything like a shuttle service that would transport people from the parking lot to the apartment. If there was one like that then I understand the charge of $175...Anyway, 200 Carondelet is off my list now.

Thanks for all your input folks!

Hahahaha... If 2.5 blocks is So. Unfairly. Ridiculously. Far. Away that you require a shuttle service to drive you that distance, then don't bother living anywhere in the CBD, Quarter, Marigny, and many parts of Uptown - parking a few blocks away from the house is not in any way abnormal.

On topic, I checked out a place at 200 Carondelet earlier this year, and it appeared much smaller than the pictures I'd seen, although the construction seemed decent and the location is great. New Orleans doesn't really have too many large apartment complexes, but there are a ton of houses split into apartments with great character and history. I found my apartment in the Quarter through Latter and Blum - they have affordable apartments all over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans