Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times

Advertisements

Try the Prince Conti hotel. It's one block from Bourbon at the corner of Conti and Dauphine. Depending on the day of the week the price per night could be as low as $130. Nice people and a nice hotel. I've stayed there the last 6 trips (4 last year) and already booked for trips in April and October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The Royal Sonesta would get my vote. It's right in the middle of the Quarter and convenient to everything.

Outside balcony rooms are very cool to sit with a glass of wine, but can be noisy at 3 in the morning.

Was there in December a couple years ago. Not as crazy as other times of the year, and not as sweltering either!

Enjoy your stay.

Love the Royal Sonesta. Best grits and also terrific bread pudding...Ahhhh!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:14 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Since this a relatively new thread, I'd like to piggy-back on to ask a couple of questions. We booked a night at the Residence Inn, Downtown (not our choice--our travel companions are going into town a few days early and chose this location).

We'll be landing at Louis Armstrong Airport around 5 pm, then need to get from airport to the hotel. Our first thought was to book a shuttle, but I'm told that a taxi would be much preferred, that a shuttle could take 1-2 hours to get from the airport to the hotel. Thoughts?

Also looking for a dinner recommendation that would be an easy walk from the hotel. I REALLY wish that they had booked from one of the dozens of places in the French Quarter, but since we're only in NOLA for one night, we'd like to have a few drinks and a great dinner. Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2017, 10:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,341,098 times
A taxi is you best bet if time is an issue. Uber also operates at the airport if you would prefer that (I do), but taxis are there waiting for you 24/7. I think it's $35 to/from the airport now.

Cochon or Tommy's are my top choices for a nice dinner close to your hotel. Cochon is straight up Cajun, and Tommy's is more Creole/Italian.

Check out the Howlin Wolf for some live music after dinner, if you're interested; also, right by your hotel.
The Howlin Wolf | Welcome! | New Orleans' Premiere Venue

Old 03-24-2017, 10:14 AM

161 posts, read 240,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Since this a relatively new thread, I'd like to piggy-back on to ask a couple of questions. We booked a night at the Residence Inn, Downtown (not our choice--our travel companions are going into town a few days early and chose this location).

We'll be landing at Louis Armstrong Airport around 5 pm, then need to get from airport to the hotel. Our first thought was to book a shuttle, but I'm told that a taxi would be much preferred, that a shuttle could take 1-2 hours to get from the airport to the hotel. Thoughts?

Also looking for a dinner recommendation that would be an easy walk from the hotel. I REALLY wish that they had booked from one of the dozens of places in the French Quarter, but since we're only in NOLA for one night, we'd like to have a few drinks and a great dinner. Thanks in advance
If you're on a time constraint, just get in the line for a taxi (you'll see it once you exit baggage claim at MSY) When I went last October, cab fare for my friend and I was $36 to our hotel in the French Quarter. With tip, we paid $20/each. Had we had opted for a shuttle, we'd have to pay $22-25/each plus tip and be at the mercy of riding for as long as how many other people were on the shuttle depending on where they were staying. If you're staying at the Residence Inn downtown, you're in the Warehouse District. There are some great spots near your hotel within walking distance, namely Cochon, Emeril's and Peche (seafood). If you want to go to the French Quarter, you could technically walk (though imho it's a long, far walk) but I'd advise against doing so at night time and just taking an Uber to/from the FQ. Uber rates to travel between FQ and Warehouse District are fairly inexpensive.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:20 AM

161 posts, read 240,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Hello All,

I'll be cruising out of New Orleans in December to Cozumel and Progresso and I was looking for a good place to stay. Ideally I'd like to stay 2 nights so I can spend a little time checking it out. I will not be using a car on the trip so I am not worried about park and cruise packages. I just want a decent place in or close the French quarter. I'm not sure what prices I should expect to pay though. Suggestions? Please and thanks in advance!
Try any of the Valentino hotels in the French Quarter, namely French Market Inn, Place D'Armes, Prince Conti or Hotel St. Marie.
http://www.valentinohotels.com
If you want luxury accommodations with room service and top of the line amenities, these are not for you. But if you want a safe, clean hotel situated in a prime location (within walking distance to a lot of the sights of the French Quarter), these are good options. They're boutique style hotels located in historic NOLA buildings. Their rates are reasonably priced. If you are staying at a chain type hotel like a Hyatt, Hilton, etc, expect to pay upwards of $150 to $300/night depending on the date (pricing will be more on weekends and during a peak tourist season during events like the Jazz Fest or Mardi Gras).

Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 PM

483 posts, read 409,701 times
Default found a hotel

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to book Place d'Armes!

Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

I just stayed at the Residence Inn at St. Paddy's Day. It's a real nice property, very New Orleans-esque.

Nearest good restaurant is Emeril's, definitely check that out. It is a 2 minute walk to your hotel!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Resi...86!2d29.944616

Peche, Meril (another Emeril restaurant), Cochon, and Mulates are really close as well, all within 5 minutes. Also Herbsaint is a 7 min walk.

If you want to go to the French Quarter but don't want to walk, just walk to the nearest streetcar stop and then take the streetcar. You'll be in the FQ in 20 mins:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Resi...574443!3e3!5i1

It actually got the first stop wrong. You'd board at Convention Center Station, so your walking would be around 6 mins and then 15 mins on the streetcar.

Last edited by cBach; 03-30-2017 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 04:12 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyNatural View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to book Place d'Armes!
As far as location, you couldn't have done much better. Did you get the price you were looking for?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM

483 posts, read 409,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norb123 View Post
As far as location, you couldn't have done much better. Did you get the price you were looking for?
Yes well at least for one night, the other night was like $159 but I think it is worth it to be in a prime location. I plan to take a walking tour and find a couple good spots to eat and maybe find a jazz joint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans