Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM

151 posts, read 290,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I always hated "N'Awlins" because it reminded me of Frank Davis. Is he still around?
As far as I'm aware, yes he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraesfate View Post
It's pronounced different everywhere in the city.

I say it "New Orlyns". I've heard it pronounced "nawlins", "New Orleeeeens", "New Orleee aans", and more. I don't think it really matters much. I think it depends how the people around you say it, and what their family/language background is.

I have to admit, the "nawlins" thing bothers me a bit because I think it makes New Orleans seem like a bunch of hicks.

Totally agree. I cringe a little when I hear "Nawlins".

I say it your way as well, "New Orlyns".

La-fi-yet is how I say Lafayette

Think of the "Lafa" part as in saying "Laffy" part in Laffy Taffy.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:17 PM

54 posts, read 152,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I feel stupid even asking this, but I know *you* guys will know.

I usually say "New ORlins" (phonetic), but have heard natives (typically older natives, like my landlord) refer to the city as "New OR-lee-ans". I have also heard non-natives refer to the city as "New Or-LEENS".

Which is the preferred pronounciation? This town has a lot of creative ways to pronounce words. Honestly, I think the extra syllable in the "New OR-lee-ans" sounds lovely. Does anyone care?
The technically correct way is Or-lee-ahns albeit lightly. Just like Orléans, France, for which New Orleans is named after. Most people that either are from or have been in or around New Orleans for a long time say New Orlinz, New Or-lee-ans or most commonly, New Orlunz. They're all "right" in regard to not sounding like a troglodyte touron that say N'Awlins and New Orleeenz.

New Orleans has a wonderful history of pronouncing things wrong, however! It's hilarious - but it is how things are said in New Orleans. The most often wrongly said thing(s) is how people insist on saying Mardi Gras season, Mardi Gras parades and Mardi Gras Day when they're actually talking about Carnival season, Carnival parades and Mardi Gras Day? Well, why would you say Fat Tuesday Day? Although there are parades on Mardi Gras, which technically are Mardi Gras parades, right?

Alas, that's how we roll. Or a lot of us anyway.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM

54 posts, read 152,149 times
Quote:
As far as I'm aware, yes he is.
Fortunately the fish stealer RETIRED!!!!!!!!!!! That guy is beyond. Just horrible.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
Totally agree. I cringe a little when I hear "Nawlins".

I say it your way as well, "New Orlyns".

La-fi-yet is how I say Lafayette

Think of the "Lafa" part as in saying "Laffy" part in Laffy Taffy.
I always say Lafayette as Lah Fay Yet. Not sure if that's right or not.

Most of the french words in this city aren't pronounced correctly. I'm from Canada but live in New Orleans. When I moved here, it was really weird hearing people say Grav ee rrr, instead of Grav eee ay like it's supposed to be said. Not to mention Cal lie o peee being said as Callee ope. And that's just a few examples.

Language has a natural progression though, and this was is heavily influenced by Haitian (since that's where most of the slaves were from back in the day, not Africa). Add in Acadian French (the other major language that's influenced the region), Mexican Spanish and bad English and words get twisted.

There are actually people here that speak French as their main language. Problem is I can barely understand a word of it in spite of four years of French in school and growing up in a country where the second official language is French. With the other languages influence, Quebec French/Parisian French (which normally I can understand with a few small differences) and New Orleans French have drifted very far apart (it's even inherited some Spanish twists).

Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 PM

14 posts, read 49,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I have a question about a town pronunciation as well. How do most people here pronounce Lafayette? I've just moved to Lake Charles, and I've heard a couple of people pronounce the first syllable like the word "laugh." But of course the french article "la" has the "ahh" vowel sound, so Lahh-fayette makes more sense in that regard. Having attended Purdue University, in West Lafayette Indiana, it would be hard for me to change how I pronounce it!!
Laugh-ee-ett is how I say it. If you were speaking French you would be correct to say "Lah-fye-ett." (You can hear it in this Cajun French lesson http://ilcpan.giza.tulane.edu/cajun/Cajun.html#), but in English it's "laugh-ee-ett." In one part of the lesson above you can listen to the pronunciation of different city/town names in English and Cajun French. Many are quite different.

As for New Orleans, I say "New Orlins." Almost everyone I know says it like this, including my dad. My grandmother (native Cajun French speaker, grew up in Gretna, very heavy accent) says "New ahh-lins." My dad and his siblings have lost the accent.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM

14 posts, read 49,723 times
Quote:
I always say Lafayette as Lah Fay Yet. Not sure if that's right or not.

Most of the french words in this city aren't pronounced correctly. I'm from Canada but live in New Orleans. When I moved here, it was really weird hearing people say Grav ee rrr, instead of Grav eee ay like it's supposed to be said. Not to mention Cal lie o peee being said as Callee ope. And that's just a few examples.

Language has a natural progression though, and this was is heavily influenced by Haitian (since that's where most of the slaves were from back in the day, not Africa). Add in Acadian French (the other major language that's influenced the region), Mexican Spanish and bad English and words get twisted.

There are actually people here that speak French as their main language. Problem is I can barely understand a word of it in spite of four years of French in school and growing up in a country where the second official language is French. With the other languages influence, Quebec French/Parisian French (which normally I can understand with a few small differences) and New Orleans French have drifted very far apart (it's even inherited some Spanish twists).
Yes, there are many differences. You might be interested in the Cajun French lesson I posted above. I have no knowledge of standard French so I couldn't tell you what exactly the differences are. I love languages though and think Cajun French is so interesting.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,588,101 times
The Cajuns were imported Acadians.
The real proper pronunciation is the same as the
original name, derived from the royal house of Orleans.
La Nouvelle-Orléans was founded May 7, 1718.

it would be something like New "aw-lay-on" with emphasis
on the final syllable.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Naw'lins.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsL1215 View Post
Yes, there are many differences. You might be interested in the Cajun French lesson I posted above. I have no knowledge of standard French so I couldn't tell you what exactly the differences are. I love languages though and think Cajun French is so interesting.
The words are all written the same, it's just the way things are pronounced that are different. I learned Quebec French though, not Parisian French. I actually can have difficulty understanding Parisian French but it's much closer to Quebec French than New Orleans French is. The differences are fascinating. Funny thing is, there's alot of differences but I'm drawing a blank right now lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans