Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 10:49 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,486,240 times

Advertisements

School Performance Scores

It's shocking to see New Orleans Public Schools ranked 3rd highest performing in the state, but then when you take a look at RSD it makes sense. The fact that NOPS currently has 16 schools and that RSD has 48 schools kind of takes all of the joy out of the situation.

How do you all feel about N.O. being split between 3 "public school districts" and then the various privates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:16 PM

310 posts, read 854,757 times
While RSD might rank higher than OPSB, the schools within the RSD can be day and night. KIPP, FirstLine, UNO, and RSD charters are incredible bright spots in primary education while many of the primary schools that fall under the RSD superintendent are a nightmare. I had wonderful days at 2 KIPP schools last week and one nightmare day at Harney (which has been called America's worst elementary school - a new building doesn't change what's inside) and they're all within the RSD.

Charters are carrying the system, whether Recovery School District or Orleans Parish School Board. Charter schools and schools with selective admission are excelling and helping that ranking along. It's not representative of many public schools in the area, many of which are failing their LEAP tests consistently.

Don't forget there are also 2 BESE schools in the area. AND the Algiers Charter Schools Association and the Advocates for Science and Math Education are split between the RSD and OPSB.

Confused? Heh, sorry, I have the diagram in front of me .

Anyhow, it's a problem that you need such a diagram to keep the public school system straight. It does not help that RSD and OPSB get along as well as oil and water. Meetings between the 2 are nothing but screaming matches.

How do I feel? Well, the above rant should tell you that . It's just a mess from every angle. Hundreds of us are helping, but there will be no change until there's change from on high. Nobody wants to give up their power nor concede that someone else's way is better.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
NOPS is still a total joke, run by incompetant stooges who mismanage everything. The state allowed them to keep the very cream of the crop, only the schools with selective admissions in affluent areas with good student bases. RSD got the leftovers. I am a substitute and from my experiences there are serious problems with both systems. RSD, especially its charter schools, seem to be staffed by 90% out of state people, from teachers all the way to administrators. They have a total disconnect with the community, but their hearts are in the right place. NOPS has a lot of the "business as usual" perspective with locals, many incompetant, working there. In my experiences subbing this semester, I've still only had a teacher provide with my a lesson plan in Jefferson Parish. Neither RSD nor NOPS thought to provide me with any of this. I bring a movie as a "just in case" for days like this. Unfortunately, I have yet to be in a classroom with a TV/DVD player. These types of frustrations really get me.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,806 times
i can't wait till i go back i'm either going to job corp or adult ed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
View detailed profiles of: