Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,060,285 times

Advertisements

If NOLA start attracting industies and reverse the brain drain to ATL, Hous and Dallas. Tax free to stimulate corporate growth and get back the corporation it lost to the aforementioned cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM

152 posts, read 480,194 times
I think we would need to change a few things. I've noticed new orlean tends to "grow" too slowly and the handfull of businesses around are capable of adapting to the slightly higher demand. It doesn't leave much room for competition to arise. Although I sound hypocritica saying these things after a few posts in another board about smal businesses. Most of it has to do with a lack of choices. If you don't like sewage and waterboard who do you buy water from? Same with electricity and entergy?

Social interests must change. We have to move away from suburban and agricultural mentalities to modern urbanized ones.

We would need a massive and far more usefull public transportation system. I'm talking not onlybusses, but trains street cars, high speed rails, over head cable cars. The high volume highspeed lines would need to circumnavigate the lake, extend to baton rouge, biloxi, jackson, slidell, and out to the coastal and mrgo areas.

Then we do haveland issues. Ever been to newyork and seen the newyork times building? I don't think thetime picayune has enough room for a complex that size. New york has apartment complex areas the sizeof dowtown new orleans.

Then there are the variety and number of businesses available. We coulnt simply rely on one industry to move that far. We would need a massive financial sector to fund theseprojects, and also keep a bit of the reveue here. We would need commercial construction companies in larger numbers. Then expand media sectors to incude not only local media but prime time big networks like atlanta has. We might as well inflate shipping but I think east and west coast have us beat. Medical and university numbers are pretty high here I think those wuld have no problem following the trends. We might try and convince the oil companies to come back.

The list goes on. I don't think its a valid goal short term. It'll take decades of social restructuring, decades of infrastructure expansion, and extensive commercial development.

There was a time when we were on the cusp of becoming what atlanta is now. Somethin bombed that progress, chased ou the few remaining big cmpanies we had left, and then twisted our socio-economic norms to what they are today. This city hs been a mess since the 70's from what I've read (I'm not old enough to have experenced those times), maybe even before then.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,360,185 times
We don't have to abandon suburbs, without them a city would not survive. Now I would like to see the northshore have some actual "city centers" that could help sustain the suburban population in places like Hammond, Covington, and Slidell.
A massive transit system like that won't work for a city this small, and you would have to connect to cities that could afford to and are "progressive" enough to build their own transit stations. (which Jackson and Biloxi are probably not, Baton Rouge maybe)

New York simply isn't New Orleans, if you used some sort of scale then it would work, NYC proper is 8+million people, not 383k.

The city is trying to diversify it's economy to protect it from a national depression. The film industry is a good example of that, also the medical industry.

New Orleans would have been similar to Houston probably. They took majority of the energy/oil companies.

NO should be king of the south again, but I'll be dead before that.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 AM

NOLA needs a mix of Jack Welch and Mark Cuban as mayor.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,952,344 times
LA's Pop is over 18 million. NY is over 22. Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, all 6 million plus range. NOLA has 1.1 million. For an example of how big the difference is, if NOLA was to grow at 50% every 10 years, which is an absolutely phenomenal growth rate, it would take more than 40 years to reach the size of the three big Southern cities, around 70 to reach the size of LA, and 75 years to surpass NY. And this is assuming that they all stay the same size.

If we take a growth rate of 25%, which is closer to the rate of Dallas and Houston, it would take about 80 years to equal Dallas now, 130 to surpass LA, and 140 to surpass NY.

We will probably be lucky to grow 10% a decade, largely because the area in which people can live is so geographically constricted- this is assuming an ideal political and economic climate. At that rate, we'd surpass Dallas's current size in something like two centuries.

I know this all sounds overly pessimistic, I actually think that with the way things are going now, we could see 20% growth. My post was merely to point out that we have A LOT of catching up to do.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,498,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
LA's Pop is over 18 million. NY is over 22. Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, all 6 million plus range. NOLA has 1.1 million.
Atlanta is under 6 million, Houston and Dallas are just over. New York is right above18 million and Los Angeles has around 15 million. Still far from New Orleans' 1.2 million though.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,952,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Atlanta is under 6 million, Houston and Dallas are just over. New York is right above18 million and Los Angeles has around 15 million. Still far from New Orleans' 1.2 million though.
Actually, no. I have been studying demographics since I was a wee lad, and all of my numbers are accurate. Not trying to be rude, you just seem to have a habit of wanting to "correct" anything I post. But I'll give you the Atlanta thing, I think they're at about 5.8.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,498,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Actually, no. I have been studying demographics since I was a wee lad, and all of my numbers are accurate. Not trying to be rude, you just seem to have a habit of wanting to "correct" anything I post. But I'll give you the Atlanta thing, I think they're at about 5.8.
If you say so. You haven't even posted enough to stand out. I correct a lot that seems off, expecially when many posters here exaggerate for effect, and expect the same if I'm posting information that's off. If you want to take it personal that's you. If I've corrected you that much then hmm... either refute it or keep it moving. Since you study demographics you know the significance, or insignificance, of a CSA popualtion since they are split into their own metro/micro areas. If you're going to use New Orleans' MSA population don't compare it to the CSA of bigger cities. Even though the change was only 100,000 it can still be misleading to people trying to get info. Now allow me to correct myself for doing the exact reverse in the last post.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM

New Orleans has good bone structure to return to glory but it depends on its populace. Pound for Pound it is one of the greatest city in the USA. I go there and shake my head and vision what it can be

Old 07-05-2011, 10:30 AM

4 posts, read 6,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Certain tracts of Houston are MUCH denser than that.
Let me make this clear to you, urban means in relation to a city, not dense and walkable.
What blackandgold51 is saying is that(which I know what he's talking about) Houston has a larger city population than Baltimore, but a much smaller population Density. Baltimore is built more urbanized, congested, bigger projects, inner city area is more cohesive.

Southern and Western cities like L.A, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas have large populations due to sprawling neighborhoods, not urban cores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans