Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,278,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
About the time one of these "politically correct" people starts in with a Nuevo Mejicano, regardless of the New Mexican's ancestry, about the "Well, I'm not English, so calling me 'Anglo' isn't right and I find it offensive, blah, blah, blah" stuff, I suspect the Nuevo Mejicano's comment to his or her friends about that individual might be something like this: "¿Qué clase de una persona de otro planeta es eso?"
Same folks who think it's offensive to call someone an American Indian instead of a "Native American".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,452,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah but Anglo is sure a handy way to refer to non-Hispanos. I can't think of any other easy way to describe folks of non-Iberian or Indian ethnicity.
But that's part of the issue. Why do we regularly have to refer to people by race unless we're filling out a questionnaire , census or other government form?

As with many things unique to this place , NM is the first state that I have lived in where non-Hispanic Caucasians ( Anglos, gringos, crackers ) were not in a majority and it sometime feels like many Hispanics ( New Mexicans, Spanish, Mexicans, Chicanos, Latinos ) here feel the need to make sure we all remember that.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
But that's part of the issue. Why do we regularly have to refer to people by race unless we're filling out a questionnaire , census or other government form?

As with many things unique to this place , NM is the first state that I have lived in where non-Hispanic Caucasians ( Anglos, gringos, crackers ) were not in a majority and it sometime feels like many Hispanics ( New Mexicans, Spanish, Mexicans, Chicanos, Latinos ) here feel the need to make sure we all remember that.
I think it's much less nefarious than you make it out to be. It's generally used when someone is trying to describe someone's looks, perhaps so others can know whom one is referring to, e.g. "the black guy you were talking to" or "you know, that redheaded dude".

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times
Quote:
I think it's much less nefarious than you make it out to be. It's generally used when someone is trying to describe someone's looks, perhaps so others can know whom one is referring to, e.g. "the black guy you were talking to" or "you know, that redheaded dude".
For one, it's absurd. Someone who is from Poland for example isn't an "anglo" period. So calling someone by the wrong ethnic term is stupid in the first place. It's as stupid as calling anyone from an Asian country a "chinaman".

Why use ethnic terms at all unless you use the correct ethnic term for someone? It might be fine to refer to an Englishman as an "anglo" but to try to lump all those from any European nation under "anglo" is absurd and racist.

If they want to call me something, they can call me American and that's what I tell them. I'm not from some other country than the USA, so that's really all I am. As far as race - there are "anglo" Mexicans who are far more "anglo" as in anglo-saxon than I'll ever be.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I believe you are naive. It's not so less nefarious --- anymore than if you constantly try to point out someone's ethnic background. Why can't you get past the race or ethnicity and see the individual? Would you always feel the need to point out someone as "the black guy"? I would hope not.

Yes, "black" can be a physical description but "anglo" really is not because unless someone has British features that really stand out, you can't know they aren't Italian, Spanish, French, Swedish or something else.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah but Anglo is sure a handy way to refer to non-Hispanos. I can't think of any other easy way to describe folks of non-Iberian or Indian ethnicity.
But why pigeon hole people that way at all? Why must you always see race? For one - there are many "hispanics" which I think generally means Spanish surnamed who can speak English, might not even speak much Spanish and are white Americans. There are non-hispanics who can speak Spanish, and not all non-hispanics are white much less anglo.

Why would you deny the variety of ethnic heritages in others? Is Poland exactly like France? Is Greece just like Sweden?

Or is it that you want to fit in and believe they'll like you better if you accept their racist attitudes? I don't find that the case at all - I think it's better to expect respect. Don't call me by a racial-ethnic term that doesn't apply to me in the first place. Don't assume anything about me or others because of race or ethnicity.

What did Martin Luther King say about judging people by the content of their character and not their skin color?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But why pigeon hole people that way at all? Why must you always see race? For one - there are many "hispanics" which I think generally means Spanish surnamed who can speak English, might not even speak much Spanish and are white Americans. There are non-hispanics who can speak Spanish, and not all non-hispanics are white much less anglo.

Why would you deny the variety of ethnic heritages in others? Is Poland exactly like France? Is Greece just like Sweden?

Or is it that you want to fit in and believe they'll like you better if you accept their racist attitudes? I don't find that the case at all - I think it's better to expect respect. Don't call me by a racial-ethnic term that doesn't apply to me in the first place. Don't assume anything about me or others because of race or ethnicity.

What did Martin Luther King say about judging people by the content of their character and not their skin color?
I don't see describing someone by their race or ethnicity as a big problem. Most people are fine with their heritage. I'd probably rather someone referred to me as "that Anglo dude over there" than "that slightly overweight balding, grey haired dude with the beard over there". Referring to non-Hispanos/Indians as "Anglos" is part of Southwestern tradition that goes way back to when my ancestors first arrived there (although at that time they were probably also referred to as "Americans" since NM was then still part of Mexico.) I have no problem being called the same thing that they were.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,389,212 times
I'm going to say it again. 'Anglo' does not mean 'From England'. There is already a word for that, "ENGLISH".

The ancient Macedonians (think Alexander the great) were not from Greece (Helles) they were from Macedonia, but their language, culture and institutions were derived from a Greek source, this they were called, 'Hellenic', derived from Greek culture but not 'Hellenes' (actual Greeks)

My ancestors were not from England, thus I am not 'English', but because I speak English and live in a country whose political and social institutions derive from an English source, I am Anglo. Maybe 'Anglistic' would be a more acceptable term? If so, you can hang out with the folks that are arguing over 'African-American' versus 'Afro-American'.

I would rather be called Anglo than White, for what it's worth, and on the census I put 'other' and write in my Euro-hyphenated sub-cultural self-identification so I am not arguing against people's desire to identify with their ethnic origins, bit I do think that to react to the term Anglo, the way one does to the n- word, is hypersensitive and amateur victim-hood aspiring to go pro.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,645,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

My ancestors were not from England, thus I am not 'English', but because I speak English and live in a country whose political and social institutions derive from an English source, I am Anglo. Maybe 'Anglistic' would be a more acceptable term? If so, you can hang out with the folks that are arguing over 'African-American' versus 'Afro-American'.
Some prefer Cockney but yeap i understand what you're saying about speaking english and anglo.

Also if i recall correctly most of the mexicans in el paso don't call the germans stationed at Ft. Bliss who speak fluent german and have a heavy german accent anglo as they call them german(s) implying that they are not anglophile.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Then if someone's ancestors also came from a country other than England, and that person speaks English and lives in the USA, with the same political and social institutions as you or I but whose family either came from Spain or Mexico also be an "anglo"?

Seriously - why would someone whose long ago ancestors came from Italy or France be an anglo but now someone whose long ago ancestors came from Spain not be an anglo?

Or what of the blue eyed blond whose parents came from Mexico but he speaks perfect English and if fully an American citizen? Why can't he be an "anglo" -- or why can't the dark skinned equivalent to him also be an "anglo"?

Or what of the menonitas who are fully Mexican citizens and live in Mexico - are they anglo? Often they speak no Engish at all - but they do speak Spanish and are Mexican. So are they anglo or hispanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico