Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sure they are. In fact they're the original ones:

Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note in there the proper Spanish term for them - "Hispano". So in Spanish you have "Anglos" and "Hispanos". In English they would be presumably "Anglics" and "Hispanics", though "Anglics" has never gained much favor.
Ok, then if Spaniards are Hispanic and Africans from the Dominican Republic and Indigenous people of Mexico are Hispanic,

then

English people are Anglo and Russians, and Irish, and Poles, and Germans from America, Canada, and Australia are Anglo.

<edit: The reason I assumed the Spanish were not Hispanic is that every Spaniard I have met bristles at the term, "I'm not Hispanic, I'm Spanish!". Apparently on Spanish news and newspapers, 'Hispanic' is the term used to describe recent immigrants to Spain from the Americas when individual nationalities are not mentioned. Maybe that has something to do with that reaction.>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,957,996 times
Many Spaniards do not call themselves Hispanics...

Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,347,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Many Spaniards do not call themselves Hispanics...
And many English-Americans don't call themselves Anglos.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 AM

422 posts, read 1,274,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ok, then if Spaniards are Hispanic and Africans from the Dominican Republic and Indigenous people of Mexico are Hispanic,

then

English people are Anglo and Russians, and Irish, and Poles, and Germans from America, Canada, and Australia are Anglo.

<edit: The reason I assumed the Spanish were not Hispanic is that every Spaniard I have met bristles at the term, "I'm not Hispanic, I'm Spanish!". Apparently on Spanish news and newspapers, 'Hispanic' is the term used to describe recent immigrants to Spain from the Americas when individual nationalities are not mentioned. Maybe that has something to do with that reaction.>
Actually, the "Anglo" term in reference to Russians and Poles is incorrect.
Both nationalities are Slavic and being referred to as an "Anglo" can be insulting. The "Caucasian" term is more accurate since both of those nationalities originated from their ancestral lands in the Caucusus region between the Black Sea and Caspian Sea.

Russians and Poles living in America are bilingual as well, so the term Anglo applied to English speaking people is only half correct.

"Anglo" needs to be retired because it lumps all white english speaking people under one incorrect label.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,478,624 times
Poland is the result of a confederation of tribes who originally spoke several different languages including Slavic, Germanic, Baltic and Altaic. One of those tribes were the ur-Poles (made up of the closely related groups, Polans, Masovians, Vistulans, Silesians and Pomeranians) and through their domination (along with the church which codified Church Slavonic as a written standard) every ethnicity in Poland began speaking Polish and today Polish people, regardless of the language their ancestors spoke and their tribal affiliation, regardless of not being a descendant of the original tribes of Poles in their little center of what is today west-central Poland (Polanie) speaks Polish and is called a Pole.

That is the same situation with the term 'Anglo'; people of diverse ethnic and linguistic origin who are united by their Anglophonic language and Anglocentric culture.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Look, here's the deal. The Southwest was a much simpler place when the term was coined. Basically you had Spaniards/Mexicans, Americans, and Indians. The locals chose "Anglo" to describe everyone who wasn't Spaniard/Mexican or Indian which is pretty much what they do today. To try to parse who should and shouldn't be called "Anglo" at this point is kind of silly.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,258,260 times
CAVA1990: Right you are. An old girl friend of mine was formerly married to a Latino whose family was ever so proud that they were of Spanish extraction and not the despicable low-class "Indios" (their words, not mine). All this bologna is indeed silly. I'm English/German/Dutch/French/etc. and don't mind the appellation "Anglo" in the least.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:34 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,959,019 times
I am actually of Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestry so calling me an Anglo would be perfectly correct but I prefer to be called a Yankee.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am actually of Anglo-Saxon and Celtic ancestry so calling me an Anglo would be perfectly correct but I prefer to be called a Yankee.
I thought folks in your neck of the woods were all Red Sox fans.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM

422 posts, read 1,274,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Poland is the result of a confederation of tribes who originally spoke several different languages including Slavic, Germanic, Baltic and Altaic. One of those tribes were the ur-Poles (made up of the closely related groups, Polans, Masovians, Vistulans, Silesians and Pomeranians) and through their domination (along with the church which codified Church Slavonic as a written standard) every ethnicity in Poland began speaking Polish and today Polish people, regardless of the language their ancestors spoke and their tribal affiliation, regardless of not being a descendant of the original tribes of Poles in their little center of what is today west-central Poland (Polanie) speaks Polish and is called a Pole.

That is the same situation with the term 'Anglo'; people of diverse ethnic and linguistic origin who are united by their Anglophonic language and Anglocentric culture.
I understand your analogy, especially your last sentence, however, a Slav is not an Anglo. For example, you wouldn't call people of all the different Native American tribes a blanket term such as "Navajos"? Would you?

If you were to travel to Eastern Europe and refer to the people as "Anglos", they would laugh you out of town to say the least. The term "Anglo" is disrespectful of the ethnic diversity that exists among the caucasian race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico