Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times

Advertisements

I guess that's why most have re-named it Alamoghetto.

I've thought many times that for such a beautiful mountainous town with surrounding mountains, why does it look like trash?
It seems the people would take better care of their houses and businesses. I understand the economy is bad and it's hard to spend money on fixing a place up but I'm not necessarily talking about that. If people would pick up the trash and junk in their yards (for starters), and have a little respect and pride for where they lived, it would be a start.
I've been to just about every restaurant in town. None of them impress me at all and that's pretty bad when I enjoy going out to eat and am unable to find a place that serves decent food. Seems the owners would take pride in the food they cook.
Walmart seems to be going to hell. I don't know if it's just the one in Alamogordo or if it's everywhere but the past few times I've been there, I'm not able to find the stuff I normally buy anymore so maybe they're giving up on that too.
I've seen a lot of homeless people in the area. If there was somewhere in the town where they could get food, shelter and clothing, they wouldn't be hanging out on the streets. I won't get off on the subject of the homeless in the area but I understand most of them are vets with some kind of mental problems. They're doing what they need to do to survive. Not very attractive to see in town but that's life.
I would not choose to live there as it looks like a ghetto. Need's to be cleaned up really bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow2 View Post
The population has declined

The poverty is more evident

many homeless coming into the area where they can get handouts.

pollution generated by Holloman AFB, NM and it's aircraft

People are complaining about sore throats, even skin rashes

appears to be little pride in taking care of this city as many homeowners probably have never painted their home even once.

That goes for businesses too that just look very shabby.

Schools are in the same boat.

I find it difficult to believe how the city is being allowed to deteriorate.

The AF has also created a loss of quality of life with the sonic booming

Many people won't stay in a declined environment given all that is going on with the area.
So, I guess you have nothing really good to say about Alamogordo...

Rich

Old 05-18-2012, 05:03 AM

469 posts, read 913,017 times
You make some great points, however, New Mexico has a charm all of its own. I have a close attachment to New Mexico and I can tell you that most of the cities are good or bad, not much in between. Some of the areas you mention are just small desert towns, what do you really expect? It's much of the same in CA, AZ and a dozen other states in the Southwest.

Alamogordo has declined in the last 10+ years. The budget cuts and shifting priorities have allowed a large influx of illegal's to move into the area. Meth has also had a tremendous impact on the area. Crime, gangs and other problems have ruined a nice town. The town has a large welfare class and the Alamogordo Public Schools has a graduation rate of 63.8% or a dropout rate of 36.2% depending on your perspective. This creates a drain on the city and with little to do in the area, crime drugs etc all are the end result.

Holloman AFB is the largest employer, but can be hot or cold depending on the area you seek. Allot of Military/Contractors don't live in Alamogordo, they commute to Cruces, Ruidoso or Cloudcroft. All excellent places IMHO.

My point is that a drive thru of a city does little more than give you a first impression, in the case of Alamogordo, you are on the money.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I guess that's why most have re-named it Alamoghetto.

I've thought many times that for such a beautiful mountainous town with surrounding mountains, why does it look like trash?
It seems the people would take better care of their houses and businesses. I understand the economy is bad and it's hard to spend money on fixing a place up but I'm not necessarily talking about that. If people would pick up the trash and junk in their yards (for starters), and have a little respect and pride for where they lived, it would be a start.
I've been to just about every restaurant in town. None of them impress me at all and that's pretty bad when I enjoy going out to eat and am unable to find a place that serves decent food. Seems the owners would take pride in the food they cook.
Walmart seems to be going to hell. I don't know if it's just the one in Alamogordo or if it's everywhere but the past few times I've been there, I'm not able to find the stuff I normally buy anymore so maybe they're giving up on that too.
I've seen a lot of homeless people in the area. If there was somewhere in the town where they could get food, shelter and clothing, they wouldn't be hanging out on the streets. I won't get off on the subject of the homeless in the area but I understand most of them are vets with some kind of mental problems. They're doing what they need to do to survive. Not very attractive to see in town but that's life.
I would not choose to live there as it looks like a ghetto. Need's to be cleaned up really bad.
All this starts with you.

Grab a roll of trash bags and a 5 gal can of paint, and start cleaning up your your house. Then when you're done, help you neighbors. Don't wait for "someone else" to do it, be proactive.

Complaining isn't going to accomplish jack.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 PM

111 posts, read 181,200 times
Cmon, he can't clean up the whole town by himself. That's just foolish. I've lived all over the Southwest and there ARE many dirty, untidy area's. I think the common denominator is wherever you find poor people, you will find all of the associated behaviors, crime, dirt, bad attitudes, messy, trash filled yards. bad schools e.t.c. Does poverty create these behaviors, or, do these behaviors create poverty, I believe it is the latter.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
All this starts with you.

Grab a roll of trash bags and a 5 gal can of paint, and start cleaning up your your house. Then when you're done, help you neighbors. Don't wait for "someone else" to do it, be proactive.

Complaining isn't going to accomplish jack.
I don't live there. I only go there to grocery shop. My house doesn't have a problem with trash in the yard. By the way, I wasn't complaining. I was stating an opinion. If you like trash (and apparently you do because you're complaining of my post) then go ahead and live like that. I just choose not to.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b1 View Post
Cmon, he can't clean up the whole town by himself. That's just foolish. I've lived all over the Southwest and there ARE many dirty, untidy area's. I think the common denominator is wherever you find poor people, you will find all of the associated behaviors, crime, dirt, bad attitudes, messy, trash filled yards. bad schools e.t.c. Does poverty create these behaviors, or, do these behaviors create poverty, I believe it is the latter.
Being poor is no excuse to live dirty or to be dirty. Being lazy is the reason.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
N8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Being poor is no excuse to live dirty or to be dirty. Being lazy is the reason.
This.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 PM
N8!

I dont complain.

I get a trash back and pick up other people's rubbish out of the Open Space all the time.

I like the effect.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM

79 posts, read 174,986 times
Corona is actually pretty cool, and has a number of viable businesses owned by local families rather than megamerchants. Great little library, good school, delicious chile. But probably you would have to do more than drive through to realize this, as I suspect is true of many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico