Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 29,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
So, I guess you have nothing really good to say about Alamogordo...

Rich
The natural beauty in some areas is still beautiful although what man is doing to this area is evident and is becoming worse all the time. It's getting to the point that what is all around can't be igored or denied. Another post commented on the homelessness in this area...that too is worsening since I last posted, as is the crime. Burglaries are rising throughout the community too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM

469 posts, read 915,763 times
Heard Holloman will be down sizing in the near future. Loss of 500 civilian jobs as the Air Force relocates the F-22. Any updates????

Old 09-30-2012, 05:22 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,925,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
Heard Holloman will be down sizing in the near future. Loss of 500 civilian jobs as the Air Force relocates the F-22. Any updates????

Latest update I have seen is Holloman AFB to lose 250 jobs when F-22 leaves - KFDA - NewsChannel 10 / Amarillo News, Weather, Sports Posted: Sep 28, 2012

A portion says:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - An estimated 250 jobs will be lost at Holloman Air Force Base next year when the base loses its F-22 Raptor fighters. The Air Force announced the base outside Alamogordo would lose its F-22s in a consolidation effort after a 2009 decision to stop buying the costly planes in favor of the new F-35 fighter.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 AM

Thanks, info was hard to find. I was told over 500 jobs when you consider the various supporting contracts. The T-38 & RPA that support the F-22 will convert to Air Force support and loss of contractor jobs. I know Army is also looking at a new RPA school house.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:01 AM

55 posts, read 173,733 times
I'm a newcomer to Alamogordo, and while I'm likely in a honeymoon period, so far I love it.

Most everyone I've met has been friendly. Heck, even the children are noticeably polite. The city's got a pretty good library. I haven't used it yet, but the Zia Trans system seems to have some potential use for me down the road. I'm not a senior yet, but the senior center looks pretty grand from the outside.

I like how the town is laid out (for someone who is directionally-impaired, it's hard for even me to get lost).

I think there's a good selection of non-chain restaurants here, not necessarily for so-called "fine dining," but that's not my thing anyway. My current favorite for breakfast is the Waffle Pancake Shop next to the Denny's. Superb service, friendly staff, good food, reasonable prices. Got a really good chicken burrito at Lowe's grocery store. Though pricey, I enjoyed the Japanese dish I had at the Chinese/Japanese/Thai place next to White Sands Motel.

The Walmart here may be typical of those in other states in that I've noticed that Walmart seems to be reducing the range of brands and also the within-brand choices of certain products. This just gives me an incentive to go over to Lowe's more often.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,197,297 times
Quote:
I've not been following this closely, but I recall that the F-16s will leave the Arizona base for Holloman once the F-35s begin arriving there. Haven't any idea how that will balance out the loss of the F-22s from Holloman.

Also, whether connected to Holloman or WSMR, there is an active drone training program ongoing in the area.

Last edited by joqua; 10-04-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
...there is an active drone training program ongoing in the area.
I found this news item recently added to the Holloman AFB web site:

Quote:
"The 9th Attack Squadron will provide the finest MQ-9 operators for our Air Force," said Senior Master Sgt. James Howard, 9th Attack Squadron superintendent. "Our students will have a foundation of knowledge and experience that they will be able to use to meet future technological innovation in remotely piloted aircraft systems."

The U.S. Air Force chose to activate the 9th Attack Squadron as a result of a need to train more pilots and sensor operators. The 9th Attack Squadron will function alongside the 29th Attack Squadron at Holloman AFB as the primary training squadrons for the MQ-9.

"Because of the U.S. Air Force's operational requirements, the MQ-9 training requirements have doubled," said Howard. "By having two training squadrons, it enables us to train more students to meet that requirement. It also allows us better continuity and supervision for the new MQ-9 students."

The 9th Attack Squadron is currently manned with 60 members including aircrew, intelligence and administrative personnel.

"We're at about half of our authorized size right now, so we expect to grow over the next year," said Patton. "The demand for new MQ-9 aircrew will continue, and our mission is to fulfill that demand. The ninth and 29th share the 11 MQ-9 aircraft currently assigned to the 49th Wing here at Holloman."

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,925,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I found this news item recently added to the Holloman AFB web site:
The entire article is here: 9th Attack Squadron stands up at Holloman

Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerenssa View Post
I think there's a good selection of non-chain restaurants here, not necessarily for so-called "fine dining," but that's not my thing anyway. My current favorite for breakfast is the Waffle Pancake Shop next to the Denny's. Superb service, friendly staff, good food, reasonable prices. Got a really good chicken burrito at Lowe's grocery store.
I agree, they have a few interesting places. I always found it odd that there is no good mexican food in Alamogordo. Eddies Breakfast Burritos are awsome. Si Senor can be hit or miss. Have a look on line at some of the reviews. Cloudcroft is nice, sun rise over the mountains cant be beat.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Si Senor can be hit or miss.
It was once a great restaurant in the days before they began buying from food service companies. I recall when they made their own flour tortillas right in the dining area - for all to see.

There is another older Mexican restaurant next to Walmart - Margo's. I don't care for it but others find it acceptable. And Casa de Suenos south of Tularosa is worth a visit - nice atmosphere but food is not exceptional.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico