Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,612,507 times

Advertisements

I have no idea why anyone would voluntarily go to Alamoboredom in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,181,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post

I'm all for the bottle deposits and wonder why they quit offering them.
You can thank the expensive lobbying efforts of can and bottle mfrs., beverage distributors and retailers for most of the cans and bottles littering the landscape of New Mexico.
When my old home state of Michigan passed a beverage container deposit law in 1976 (by public referendum, I might add) all the distributors, bars and restaurants and stores screamed bloody murder.
But in the ensuing years everyone has seen a dramatic decline in litter, and not just cans and bottles. Something about that law made people more aware of the utter stupidity of throwing trash out in public areas.
On top of that, cans and bottles that ARE discarded (and there still are plenty) are picked up quickly by enterprising people and returned for the 10 cents per piece deposit.
In the summer I live in a Michigan beach community and every morning there are two people who come to the general store with bags full of cans and bottles left behind by nighttime beach goers (mostly out-of-state people) and public trash receptacles and they put the containers in the reverse vending machine that most stores now have. The machine spits out a ticket that can be redeemed in the store for cash or merchandise. One guy told me he usually makes 25/30 bucks for a mornings work,
It's clean, easy and effective. New Mexico could do this easily.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM

433 posts, read 1,143,565 times
Right now the price for aluminum cans is way down. Some probably feel it's not worth the time turning them in. I think the last time I went I got about $2.50 for quite a few cans.
I know where to get rid of newspapers, cardboard, and aluminum cans. Is there anywhere to get rid of plastic bottles, and tin cans??

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Last time I took cans in for recycling, I got 35 cents a pound for them. Not great, but if you flatten them and take in 3 trash bags full, it's worth it. I had 42 pounds. I drink a LOT of Pepsi One.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:23 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57
Right now the price for aluminum cans is way down.
Some probably feel it's not worth the time turning them in.
It doesn't matter if some probably feel that it's
not worth the time turning them in. It matters that
some do. Rather, it matters that enough do.

As for me, it's been eons since I've actually sold aluminum
cans. I think it's always worth it to recycle stuff. Especially
stuff like aluminum where the economics are so favorable.
( The same cannot be said for paper and plastic. )

Aluminum cans "magically" disappear from the ground
whilst glass, tin ( tin-plated-steel ), plastic, etc. do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57
Is there anywhere to get rid of plastic bottles, and tin cans??
Some grocery stores have those yellow Waste Management
containers. Smith's at Montgomery and Tramway is one.
Others might know of other locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
Last time I took cans in for recycling,
I got 35 cents a pound for them. Not great, ...
That price is still more than 1 cent per can.
1 cent is clearly enough to make the problem go away.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,565 times
We give most of our cans to the library or humane society. But the one time I took them for myself we did not get much. In Otero county are there any places that recycle glass, plastic, and cans other than aluminum? I am about 3 1/2 hours from Albuquerque.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM

390 posts, read 952,462 times
To get back to the post. I regret that you found Capitan to be in "proverty". A lot of outsiders do not understand the small towns in New Mexico. Capitan is far from poverty and in fact an outstanding small town. People here just do not display their wealth and choose to value land and animals more than things. There is more money here than most will see in a lifetime, unless you plan on making multi-millions. I think you just do not understand the life style. Nothing but good and kind people here that take care ofq one another. As for Roswell, there are big drug and gang problems so see looks can be deceiving. Las Cruses is great as is Carlsbad, but you need to check the attitude at the airport. As for seatbelts, signs are clearly posted when you enter the state. As a retired trauma nurse you are totally foolish to not wear one. anyway, good luck in your research.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james57 View Post

I did like Tularosa. To my eye, there seemed to be a plan for improving the town. Actually the main road thru town is nice.
Tularosa along with Mesilla Park have some of the largest and thickest trees in New Mexico as they hang over into the streets as they both are my two fave places in New Mexico as they remind me of north Florida.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
New Mexico has the sort of honest funkiness that I appreciate.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:46 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Anyone's viewpoints of some place they visit can be influenced by any number of factors: car problems, getting a ticket, weather, or whatever.

I've gotten all geared up, in the past, about visiting somewhere, and it rained everyday I was there. I left there trashing the place, having lost all objectivity, never ever to return. Poor innocent city! It wasn't the city's fault it happened to rain every day I was there!

Same if I had gotten a moving violation shortly after arriving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico