Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 22,269 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Next week, I'm taking a road trip from Southern Arizona to travel up through Silver City, the Gila, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Gallup before heading back home through Northern Arizona.

Plan to do as much hiking and site-seeing as I can, but my trip is only 8 days long... soooo... I would greatly appreciate some tips/pointers/ideas on how to make the most of this trip and see as much as I can (on an inexpensive budget)!

I'm also curious about the weather. It's been particularly wet and cold here in AZ lately... As this is spring break, it's the only time I can go, but when originally planning the trip I thought the weather would be sunny and the landscape pretty... was I sadly mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 PM

433 posts, read 1,143,565 times
One good thing to remember is that when you pay your $5 to get into a state park that it is good at most(I don't know if all are included) other state parks on the SAME day. If you go near Deming check out City of Rocks and Rockhound state parks. For Rockhound bring a small hammer and a bag because you can bring rocks home. I think the limit is 15 lbs per person but you might want to check at their welcome center if you go. I had a blast at both places. I don't know if it would be in your budget but also outside of Deming past St. Clair winery is the Adobe Deli. It looks like a DUMP but you should make reservations before going. I think it is a converted barn or something. They have the most wonderful onion soup on the planet in my opinion. I know the next time I go that way I'm going to forget the steak and just have the soup. YUM!!!!! Near Las Cruces is Aguirre Springs. I was a teen when I went there but I thought it was a beautiful place. I hope the weather straightens out for your trip. I can't say for the rest of the state where you are going but Alamogordo is generally windy.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:12 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoliz6 View Post
It's been particularly wet and cold here in AZ lately... As this is spring break, it's the only time I can go, but when originally planning the trip I thought the weather would be sunny and the landscape pretty... was I sadly mistaken?
The unfortunate thing about "spring break" in the SW is that it is the most unsettled month of the year, weather wise. And as you noted, this year has been a wet one. But as long as you're not camping out, travel shouldn't be too bad since the temps are rising enough to minimize the snowfalls and melt them off quickly after it does snow, and that's only going to be a problem at the higher elevations nearby Silver City. The rest of your trip should be "a breeze" - literally. Try to avoid being on IH-10 if the winds are gusting much over 30mph - unless you like the look of a sandblasted (frosted) windshield and paint job.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
I think the Cliff Dwellings and the Mongollon Catwalk are absolute musts.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM

26 posts, read 55,745 times
the Catwalk is cool, it is on the south side of the Gila, the cliff dwellings and the senic drive to get to them is a day trip. We stopped at a lake North of the Gila last spring and the ground squirrells (look like chipmunks) were everywhere, cute and so friendyy...dont remember the name of the lake but it could be seen from the road and it was public.
Have fun, we camped and almost froze in the higher elevations! It was about this time last year. Have fun.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summercricket View Post
...dont remember the name of the lake but it could be seen from the road and it was public.
Lake Roberts? There is a "family" branch of Rocky Mtn chipmunks that inhabit some of the Gila area and are to be seen around Lake Roberts.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:07 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoliz6 View Post
Hi all! Next week, I'm taking a road trip from Southern Arizona to travel up through Silver City, the Gila, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Gallup before heading back home through Northern Arizona.

Plan to do as much hiking and site-seeing as I can, but my trip is only 8 days long... soooo... I would greatly appreciate some tips/pointers/ideas on how to make the most of this trip and see as much as I can (on an inexpensive budget)!

I'm also curious about the weather. It's been particularly wet and cold here in AZ lately... As this is spring break, it's the only time I can go, but when originally planning the trip I thought the weather would be sunny and the landscape pretty... was I sadly mistaken?
Here's a place you can check out the 10 day forecast.
10 Day Weather Forecast for Gila National Forest - weather.com

This is for Gila.
When driving NM 152
New Mexico's Highway 152

when going around curves, use alot of caution since there may be ice on the roadway, especially on curves and where the sun doesn't shine, since Gila had snow again a few days ago.
The month of March is, as one city-data member already said is quite unsettled weatherwise. Traveling through the black range mountains, you might find difficult at times.

Notice the 10 day forecast if camping, the night time temps drop into the low 20's. Even in the summer months, night time temps can drop to mid or lower 50's. It's due to the elevation.
This might sound silly, and I don't want to bad rap a business, but when in Silver, and planning on going onto city of rocks or the cliff dwellings, try to stay away from albertsons grocery for provisions, as they're quite expensive, and to get a deal you need one of their stupid discount cards. There is a food basket, and here's a google link for Silver City groceries...
http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...T-Silver+City/

Make sure you're well heeled in the provision department, as I've been to Gila many times.

good luck.

Last edited by Hombre57; 03-11-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Most if not all of the responses in this thread seem to overlook the fact that the OP is interested in making a "Grand Loop" tour in 8 days.
Quote:
I'm taking a road trip from Southern Arizona to travel up through Silver City, the Gila, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Gallup before heading back home through Northern Arizona.
That's a lot of territory to cover and will involve mostly interstate travel with all three of NM's major cities on the agenda! And returning through Gallup means another interstate route back to northern AZ. I don't think that's going to leave a lot of time for tarrying along the way with day hikes, etc into the wilderness!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I would spend more time around Las Cruces and T or C instead of a 8 day marathon drive.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would spend more time around Las Cruces and T or C instead of a 8 day marathon drive.
What in the world for???

For someone who may never have visited NM before, the trip as planned would cover a lot of interesting country - much more interesting than the barren nothingness between L.C. and TorC - IMO.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico