Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,681 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job opportunity at El Malpais National Monument. My husband & I are in our 30's, no kids yet, and from Pennsylvania.

I've never even been to NM, but it's a great opportunity. We like all the outdoorsy stuff, which NM seems to have in great abundance.

I can't seem to locate much in the way of real estate in the Grants area. If we decide to go for the move, and that's a big IF right now, we may want to rent first before buying.

I would like to have as short of a commute as possible, but it looks like reservation lands and Conservation Lands surround the area, so a short commute may not be possible.

What are the schools, hospitals, businesses, etc, like? What's the cost of living? We would need to find my husband an IT job.

I'm not sure if we could even make the transition... we're used to an urbanized area where we have 10 of everything in a very short distance. We also have an insane amount of traffic, and crime moving into our neighborhood.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendergrrl
I've never even been to NM, ...
I can't seem to locate much in the way of real estate in the Grants area.
I would like to have as short of a commute as possible, ...
What are the schools, hospitals, businesses, etc, like?
Try looking at some of these threads:
Choosing between Mountainair and Grants
Grants a place of relocation interest.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...=Grants+gallup
Is Grants safe?
Grants, New Mexico
Grants, NM - Help need info before we go
El Malpais National Monument
Milan NM?
25th annual Quadrathlon at Mt Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendergrrl
I'm not sure if we could even make the transition...
we're used to an urbanized area ...
You can still drive to Albuquerque to go shopping.
It's not a bad drive for that, but it would be a terrible commute at times.

As for finding real estate and deciding to make the move, you should
visit Grants first and see if you like it or don't like it.

You need to spend several days here and visit/drive to Albuquerque.
If you move without doing that first, then you are stupid.

Oh, and check this out:
Golden Aspen trees on Mount Taylor
It looks like that right now for the next month.
If this doesn't look good to you right now, then you are stupid.

Last edited by mortimer; 09-22-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 03:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,001,792 times
Hi brendergrrl, my wife and I are originally from PA and lived in NM for 2.5 yrs. My advice is to GO FOR IT. You owe it to yourself to live someplace where there's not an insane amount of traffic, etc. even if it's only for a few years, to decompress. My other suggestion is to definitely rent first. Too many people move, buy and then regret. There will be plenty of time to buy should you decide to stay. I would say if you move and then buy right away, maybe you're stupid. j.k. I think Mort covered that already.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
Great advice, Tim. You beat me to it! I'd love to go somewhere like that to 'decompress'. Almost everything I like to do I could do better there.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times
Get a copy of the Benchmark (IRRC benchmarkmaps.com) Road and Recreation Atlas. It has comprehensive lists of places and things to do as well a wonderfully detailed maps.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,921,532 times
Don't overlook the opportunity that Google Maps - Street View affords to virtually travel the highways in that area and see 360 degree views along the routes. The 2-lane state highways that run along the east side of El Malpais Nat. Monument (NM-117) and Ice Caves Hiway (NM-53) have both been photographed by Google. And of course you can travel IH-40 in the same manner.

As an added bonus, all of the town streets of Grants have also been photographed in 360 views!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,681 times
Thanks for the information, everyone.

Still no decision yet on whether I'll go for the job or not. I have to call the employer & find out some additional information. I think my husband probably won't go for it, but, we'll see. And at least we're not stupid; we'll take a trip out before we commit.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,013,327 times
Exclamation RE: the El Malpais move...

There is nothing close to the area. Grants is about 45 min away and in the winter it could be a tough drive due to snow etc.

Ramah is about 20 mins west and very small town...Closest hospital is Grants.

Gallup is about 1 hr. north....

Research this area first. If you can stand living way out...and if you could find something in Grants (not my choice), neither would Gallup be, you might find a rental in Ramah...everything closes on Sunday..it is a very strong Morman area. One trading post, and gas station.

Please do your research and or visit the area.

HW

Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
There is nothing close to the area. Grants is about 45 min away and in the winter it could be a tough drive due to snow etc.
Did I miss something? I can get to the Malpais in about 75 minutes from Albuquerque. There is no way it is 45 minutes to Grants.

ABQConvict

Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,093,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict
... no way it is 45 minutes to Grants.
I guess it depends on what visitor center or facility
where one will be working.

One is in Grants, one 9 mi. S of I-40 and one 23 mi. S : ___ El Malpais - Visitor Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico