Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 02:57 PM

405 posts, read 1,337,485 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow my husband and I are headed out to the Cabezon Peak area to release a few birds who have completed their bout of rehabilitation. We plan on heading up through Espanola and over, than back down through ABQ and home to SF.
I would like to make a day of it...with gas nearly $2.60 and all. Does anyone have some good thoughts on extra things to do...and especially a place to hit up for a good lunch break? Wildlife rich areas? Certainly appreciate some thoughts...and I'll even try to get some great photos, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,618,090 times
If you didn't have the birds along, and had time for a short hike, you could go up to one of the hot springs pools in the Jemez.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Actually...dragging in another situation, our anniversary (3rd....big whoop, I know ) is coming and I had asked a few people about springs and places like that around here! Some people said yay to Jemez and some said nay. I am going to look that up and see where abouts it is on our travels..its a great possibility! Thanks for the idea! However...I WILL spare you photos of THAT particular portion of our adventure.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,918,122 times
Cabezon peak is about 60 miles NW from Albuquerque, going to Jemez Springs on the way up or back will add about 20 more miles. It is worth the trip if you have not been, I would go as far as the "Soda Dam" and head back. There are a few restaurants on the way. If you don't eat there, there are not any other places to eat on the way back till you get to Bernallio. I like Mi Casita, The Range is very popular.

Rich

Old 06-05-2009, 04:29 PM

Hmmmmm. Did anyone read to post by someone else about Gilman Tunnels?? I saw Soda Dam on there..and was trying to figure out if the tunnels were on our way or not! It looks so neat! The post is called something along the lines of "Rode up to Gilman Tunnels". Looks so cool!! And certainly a great photo opp!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM

No, you don't go through the Gilman Tunnels on the way to Jemez, you will pass the turn off for them. It's maybe five miles out of the way. You could hit the on the way back from Jemez if you had time. I'm old and I take my time, lot of stops to just walk around, so I would take me almost two hours to Cabezon from Rio Rancho.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:28 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,758,383 times
I just did the Jemez part of your drive. I had lunch in Jemez at Los Ojos, went past
the Soda Dam up to the Jemez Falls trail and then hit the Gilman Tunnels on
the way home. I stopped in the parking lot of Spence Hot Springs to talk to a
couple of people and it seemed very busy.. I used to go there many years
ago back when it was unregulated and it's a neat spring, but seems like it may
be overwhelmed now because it's so easy to get to.

Gilman tunnel pics HERE..

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...n-tunnels.html

I want to head out to Cabezon soon, myself. That should be a really nice drive.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:25 PM

Ok..so hopefully I have this right. We are going to head out to Cabezon via the route to Los Alamos (or up through chili and Coyote and down is about same distance)... and when we come back we are going up through San Ysidro to the tunnels. Right? Wow, that is a treck! Anyone with additional suggestions/corrections would be great!!

Old 06-05-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl
We are going to head out to Cabezon via the route to Los Alamos (or up through chili and Coyote and down is about same distance)...
No, this is not about the same distance.

That is a 210 mile one trip if I understand you correctly. Google route:

from:Albuquerque, nm to:Gallina, Rio Arriba, New Mexico to:Cabezon Peak - Google Maps

ABQ to Cabezon Peak is 65 miles. I kind of assumed you would hit that first and get your business taken care of first. If there has been rain in the area you might have bad roads. Google route:

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico