Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,675 times

Advertisements

Buffalodaddy -
I have to agree with you. I have also traveled across most of the US and into some other third world countries and I find Alamogordo to be one of the worst places I have lived.
You are absolutely correct that the housing is similar to the slums. The price for the slums is outrages to rent or even buy. Due to the German Air Force being stationed out at Holloman and not having a BAH cap as the USAF does, it causes a feeding frenzy among the realtors and landlords. They can charge whatever they want for these houses and the poor airman of the USAF are forced to pay it. In order to live in the 'nice' area that the two other bloggers refered to you must be a senior NCO or an officer to afford it. Most airman are forced to live in Alamo Apartments because they are the only reasonable rent that you can find in this God forsaken town.
The worst thing about this town is how they act as if they live in Dallas. They drive hastly thru the town.... until they get to Walmart and everyone knows everyone thru someones aunts cousins dog... They stop and talk and ignore you as you try to push your fully loaded cart with a crying baby thru the aisle so you can go home. What is the hurry to get to Walmart, they are out of stock of most things no matter what time you go.
The ridiculous amount of fast food restruants and lack of quality dine in resturants is astounding. With there being close to 20k personnel at Holloman AFB not to include their families plus the few who live in Alamogordo and travel to WSMR there is NO entertainment. We have a mall where the local featuring store is KMart. (You've got to be kidding me) and a recent movie theater that does not show the most recent films. We now only have one movie rental store (Hastings) as Blockbuster and Hollywood Video have gone out of buisness. One store for 40+k people. I have been there early in the morning and been nearly knocked down by the rude citizens of this town because a new release had come out that morning.
There are approx. 10 furniture stores that are all over priced and lack good quality. The shifty 50 have successfully kept this town from growing with any kind of supporting industry. If the military left (which dumps 1+ million a day into this town), they would not survive. (Although they would beg to differ as they have stated that this town does not need the military to thrive... do your research in your history books and look why this town started to grow... yep you got it, the military came here and established itself.)
They are not friendly, welcoming, or appreciative of the military that is stationed here. There a no military discounts, no waivers for deposits excepted, and the military is targeted by many citizens in hate crimes. I feel sorry for the airman that must live here.
I do have to say that the best thing about this town is that you have to either be miserable inside of your home and complain about this place or look at the glass half full and get out. The town does put on several festivals and fairs during the nice weather seasons and it requires you to get back intouch with your family. These are good American qualities that some families lack but for the single folks, you are sore out of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 PM

464 posts, read 1,157,249 times
Default ?

HUH? Left field? It's thata way <--------
I don't know if we are familiar with a "Buffalodaddy" either!

Tia Dalma

Last edited by TiaDalma; 03-24-2009 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: In addition

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
New mommy,

So sorry to hear you feel that way about Alamogordo. Some military people actually like it enough to move back and retire there. Go figure.

Life is short, why stay there another minute, if it's that unbearable? There are alternatives.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
If the town is so unappreciative of the military, why are there so many military retirees here who choose to stay? Why do they come back after their service ends? Nobody holds a gun to their heads.

Why are there military families all over town in nice housing (one lives next to me, and I consider my neighborhood a nice one, but nothing fancy)? As for specific military housing, I can't answer that one.

You're right on the drug abuse and alcoholism, but that's not unique to Alamo. It's all over NM, everywhere.

And no, I'm not wallowing in misery. There is always something to do, and I don't expect to be entertained 24 hours a day by clubs, movie theaters, movie rentals, bars and the like.

Restaurants could definitely use some improvement; I cook a lot, LOL!!

I hope you're able to leave ASAP. You paint a very grim picture of a supposedly miserable place!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
OMG, so that was you that was you being obnoxious and letting your baby cry in Walmart??
What a terrible parent you are to even bring your baby to Walmart.
What is a buffalodaddy? The father of your crying baby? No wonder the poor kid is crying if his/her parents are miserable.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,043 times
Life is what you make it. As for a crying baby - we all have been there, its not the end of the world.
Good luck with the rest of your life.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
Well at least the Shifty 50 are gone or in the process of being booted out as the NEW city council fired Pat McCourt (Thank God) and also the NEW mayor Steve Brockett has said he is full steam ahead in modernizing Alamo and seeing it grow and expand.

One other item that hurt Alamo over the years is it's running dry on water as the aquifer is drying up fast as that has hampered growth but now with the NM State Enginneer announcing that there is a 1,000 years of ''brackish water'' under the entire basin they are now focusing on tapping into that so there're be plenty for growth.

Anyway you'll like it back in Dallas as i see it's new population figures for the metro are 6.3 million people so that ought make you happy there.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
Sometimes I enjoy my sarcasm.
Crying babies in public with parents allowing it and blaming it on other people is not my forte' either. She chose to have a baby. Babies cry so she needs to put on her big girl panties and deal with it.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Anyway you'll like it back in Dallas as i see it's new population figures for the metro are 6.3 million people so that ought make you happy there.
It makes me want to move to Alamogordo all the more!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,607 times
Wow! These are some interesting perspectives and strong opinions about Alamogordo. I will have to say that some of them are true and fairly accurate and some of them are absolutely wrong and incorrect. While stationed in Germany I volunteered to relocate to Alamogordo because I went to high school in Roswell during the early seventies. Alamogordo during that time was a pretty quiet place. Here it is 2009 and Alamogordo hasn't really changed a whole lot. It is still dependent upon Holloman AFB for the bulk of it's economic support. All one has to do is stand on the top of the "overpass at 5:30 am to see where the jobs are; they most certainly are not in Alamogordo. Oh, yes, there are penty of minimum wage positions but the consumer costs here prevent one from affording to live here unless you have a a retirement income from the military and your medical benefits are provided to you. I personally have had to hold three jobs to have a decent living income and focus on nothing but work but it can be done. I have been a Realtor in Alamogordo and the homes here; based on their square footage and age are indeed overpriced for the economic base offered to the "non-military person on a whole. It is disgusting how the city's infrastructure is so poorly maintained. The only thing this community seems focused on is garnishing conservation awards on how well they have saved water; yet the average water bill cost without washing your vehicle or watering a yard will cost you a small fortune There are no real resturants of quality just fast food.
If you drive any of the roads you will find their condition has been neglected for decades. The city over the past 5 years has finally made a serious effort to resurface residental areas as they should but the main roads such as White Sands Blvd, Indian Wells, 10th and 1st along with connecting roads between those streets and the "Relief Route" have not been replaced in the over 16 years I have lived here. Oh, plenty of patching and ripping up for the ridiculous water line beaks. The major streets look like a patch work quilt in need or replacement.
Military discounts are not that plentiful but some do exist if you ask. However the main Blvd consists of Hotels, Gas Stations and fast food resurants. City Planning is sorely lacking in Alamogordo.
Yes, the drivers are rude, careless and disrespectful. I don't think anyone knows how to operate their turn signals or make a proper left or right hand turn. People have no pride concerning their town nor their property. They park in their yards and leave furniture from two decades ago as law ornamentation. In the sixteen years I have lived here, not once has the high school football team won a state championship. The school system wants to be top notch but somehow end up missing the mark. I have been an ambassador for the chamber and found this town to have some bright and inventive people who are stifled from creative endavors because it does not fit in with the Committee of Fifties private adgenda. I have seen four city managers try to take the regins of this town. What we need to do is rid ourselves of the outmoded thinking; replace the 7 City Council Members with an elected Mayor, Police Chief and Seperate Fire Chief. This community needs to stop crying we don't have enough water to support industry; while over building because they enjoy raping the average citizen in overpriced poorly maintained housing that was built in 1950 or 60.
We need citizens to stand up and be counted. After living and working here for 16 years I have finally had to take a position 50 miles away to earn enough money to live in this greedy little town that isn't so little. We need a new Library; one that is shared by the public, NMSU and nearby communities such as La Luz and Boles Acres.
We need Industry here. The cost of products being driven up because we absorb the freight in and freight out because we have no industry to ship anything out is out dated and out moded thinking. We have many social problems that must be addressed and this doesn't come from sitting on ones backside griping about it. It's time to get involved and take action if you want things to change. Yes, Alamogordo can be a place that leads by example but unfortunately it's just an oversized dirty little border town filled with close minded people who can't see past the nose on their face.
I have lived in ten different states and four different countries. Alamogordo is not the best choice for retirement as the medical support is really poor and overpriced. The only reason I stay is because I am stuck due to the suppressed wage base here. This community is a family affair where only personal friends and relatives are hired to the key positions. Alamogordo must take care of it's own and heaven help the outsider wanting to fit in. Unless you marry into the clan your stuck at a level determined by the few who control the town and doomed to live at a level they chose you will be at; no matter what you can do or have the education to accomplish.
Alamogordo is one of the major funnel areas for drug traffic accross the border. Why do you think there are two border patrol stations within 20 miles of Alamogordo.
Alamogordo is also a relocation point for criminal reintegration of sex offenders and "reformed" gang members.
80 percent of the funding by the Alamogordo Police Department is provided by the federal government to fight drugs... How are we doing with that??? We have cameras to monitor traffic instead of police officers to enforce the laws
Oh, it's easy to sit here and run the town down but it takes courage to do something about it. If you want to move here because of a pending retirement; rethink the move. Take a look at the death rate before you get stuck.
This town has some not to nice titles.... Alamaghetto... Alamagonowhere.... Alamagotcha.... Alamabooboo....just to name a few of the popular ones.
Why are there so many dollar stores in this town? Why is K-Mart and Wal-Mart the biggest thing to hit this town since the arrival of the steam locomotive... Where are the Sheratons, Marriotts, and real Civic Center to hold concerts and live entertainment. We have a fair grounds that only hosts an old fashioned midway and county fair that a traveling stage could accommodate big ticket names in music; however the seating would not contain those who could and would come
There is one place for adults to dance and yes.... Oh My goodness!!!! Have an alcoholic drink but it's owned by one of the French Bros. while the other one sits on the school board and one on the city council... Nepatisim... Nah... it's just flat out control over many by a few...
If you want legal advise you had better be prepared to look out of town to get fair treatment. While there are some good lawyers here.... they were all high school buddies in the past...
Forget fresh education ideas... 85% of the teaching staff in the high school graduated from the self same high school.
It's time to CHANGE... It's time for Renewal Alamogordo... listen to what these people say. They have both good and bad in their comments but they speak from their heart and they need to taken seriously on their viewpoint of this town. They will be our future ambassadors. What they have to say about us depends on the active and not passive response from the people of this community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico