Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times

Advertisements

Military assignments are what you make of them. If you arrive with a bad attitude you most likely will not get the most out of the assignment.

The military draft in the US ended in 1973 (I think that was the year), so no one was recently drafted, they entered US military service voluntarily and solemnly swore or affirmed an oath...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:35 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
I still have a problem with her "it's all beyond my control" attitude. Such a cop out. We all make decisions, and one of hers landed her in Alamogordo. Suck it up and make the best of it. I'm not buying her noble claim that she's in the service defending our rights to freedom of speech. I could make the same claim as I pay about 25% of my income to the federal government to finance our military adventures.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelmythos View Post
any new info on Alamogordo. I am thinking about moving there for a change. I work with computers. I love the outdoors, and employing new places. Any additional info would be appreciated.
Thanks
steelmythos
HI,
I would suggest you read many of the different threads on CD. If you have the chance to visit before you move, I would, as some like it and some do not. It all depends on how much time you can put into getting to know the people and getting involved. For me if I had my choice again, I would choose Alamogordo again.

You may want to start a new thread so you will get your comments.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
nm09: You make some rather good points, but your initial post was so negative concerning Alamogordo that you could hardly expect to be welcomed with open arms. Many people actually like Alamo...possibly you don't because you weren't given a choice as to where to live. I can understand that feeling of being dropped into a backwater, but you might give it more of a chance.
Agree.

I am a military spouse. The first place we lived after my husband finished his pipeline was a crummy little city in the deep south. I tried to bite my tongue but the complaints did sneak out, til one day I was in line at Toys R Us behind someone in the military who complained loudly to the cashier how he was stuck in this armpit of a town and how much he disliked it. I saw how ugly the complaining looked, and have not forgotten it. I still hated that assignment, but bade my time til we could go. I saw more of the complaining when we lived in Keflavik (Iceland) - a town that is windier than Eastern NM, with a lot more snow, and about 6000 residents. You just gotta suck it up and find something that you can do there. Even that crappy little city in GA was better for me the second time around (yes, we got orders right back to it after we went OCONUS) when I decided to try to take advantage of what little it had to offer.

Anywhere you live, whether you like it or not, is someone's hometown, and they like it. While there may be reasons why ONE does not like it and will be happy to move on, ONE must remember that there are others who call it home permanently.

There is a forum member whose husband considered volunteering for MTI duty at Lackland to get out of Clovis (Cannon). There is MTI and recruiter duty, and perhaps other special duty assignments related to your AFSC, that could get you out of Holloman. If it is that bad, look at those options.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post

You could have gotten an even worse assignment.
So true. The AF and Army seem to have cornered the market on crummy base locations in the Southern US. Kirtland AFB is one of the nicer locations.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
So true. The AF and Army seem to have cornered the market on crummy base locations in the Southern US. Kirtland AFB is one of the nicer locations.
I was in the AF for 8 years. At the recruiter's office during enlistment, I was asked if I had any problem with being assigned anywhere in the world, my answer was no.

People looking to the military because they need a job (unemployed) or seeking education benefits really need to weigh their decisions and what they choose. The military life IS NOT for everyone. It does take a special type of person to accept their terms and agreements.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
I was in the AF for 8 years. At the recruiter's office during enlistment, I was asked if I had any problem with being assigned anywhere in the world, my answer was no.

People looking to the military because they need a job (unemployed) or seeking education benefits really need to weigh their decisions and what they choose. The military life IS NOT for everyone. It does take a special type of person to accept their terms and agreements.
I am happy my husband's AFSC has only about 7 bases worldwide to which he can be assigned regular orders (everything else - including here at Kirtland - is a spec duty assignment). I have spent time learning about the various locales surrounding the possible bases so when we do get a RIP, I don't have to go through the WTH reaction that some people get.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 148,646 times
NewMommy... Let me the first to say THANK YOU for being an American Soldier. Thank you for defending my rights, because I know all too well that freedom isn't free. I know that when you enlisted you weren't promised a bed of roses but that you chose to do it anyway. Freedom isn't free, and I am glad that you've had the courage to do what I could not. As the saying goes "If you cannot stand behind our soldiers feel free to stand in front of them"... No matter what your assignment is, no matter how small your assignment might seam to others, no matter your sex, race, or creed what you are doing is HUGE in my eyes and I am honestly greatful! And I apologize for the bad times you are experiencing in Almagordo. NM truley is a beautiful place but sometimes the people make it unbearable, I understand first hand. If you have any questions about other areas throughout NM TX CO or OK let me know and if I don't know the answers, I can definately help you get them...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
quoteTo those persons oh so rude comments that proved my previous statements about Alamogordo to be more than true, thank you for showing your true colors.
I just used my given right to post my opinion.quote

Are you saying that your comments were not rude? Are you saying it's okay for you to come on here as a first time poster and spew Alamogordo?
It's okay for you to give your opinion as a 'soldier' (and I use the word soldier lightly) but not okay for the rest of us to give ours?
Most of us love NM and that's why we're here.
For you to come on and call a town Alamoghetto is not going to get you any points.
I can understand you don't like Alamogordo and you were stating your opinion about it but it could have been done in a nicer way.
Did you expect us to come out with open arms and agree with you?

quoteFor those who labeled my child crying in Wal-Mart as bad mothering... you must not have kids and thank God for that. Many good and even great parents can tell you that there is not an off switch underneath the baby’s clothes to just make them be quiet. There are not happy ALL the time.quote
For the record, I or we did not label you as a bad mother for your baby crying; we labeled you a bad mother for putting the blame on others because your baby was crying.
My opinion is that if you're really a soldier, own it and stand up to it. Soldiers are not whiney.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:11 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
quoteTo those persons oh so rude comments that proved my previous statements about Alamogordo to be more than true, thank you for showing your true colors.
I just used my given right to post my opinion.quote
Are you saying that your comments were not rude? Are you saying it's okay for you to come on here as a first time poster and spew Alamogordo?
It's okay for you to give your opinion as a 'soldier' (and I use the word soldier lightly) but not okay for the rest of us to give ours?
Most of us love NM and that's why we're here.
For you to come on and call a town Alamoghetto is not going to get you any points.
I can understand you don't like Alamogordo and you were stating your opinion about it but it could have been done in a nicer way.
Did you expect us to come out with open arms and agree with you?

quoteFor those who labeled my child crying in Wal-Mart as bad mothering... you must not have kids and thank God for that. Many good and even great parents can tell you that there is not an off switch underneath the baby’s clothes to just make them be quiet. There are not happy ALL the time.quote
For the record, I or we did not label you as a bad mother for your baby crying; we labeled you a bad mother for putting the blame on others because your baby was crying.
My opinion is that if you're really a soldier, own it and stand up to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Soldiers are not whiney.
No, we're not. We usually buck up, and take our medicine, no matter how bitter a pill it is to swallow.

Great Post song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico