Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 07:56 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,945 times

Advertisements

Wish I had known about this. I was just a few miles away, all weekend.
Brian is a wealth of information on ferals. I'm guessing that Jason is one of the two new folks USDA has working the area.
Either of the local G&F folks can be counted on to put on a great presentation also.
Their "judas pig" project is probably one of the most cost effective programs in use.
And yes "sounder" is the proper term for a group of hogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
I saw a dead one on the hwy east of Cloudcroft today.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 5,648 times
Would like to bring this back to life you guys still have a hog problem down there?

Old 01-18-2015, 11:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
I live in the city, so feral hogs were not an issue with us, but the "eradication" program has been mentioned on the news a few times. I was curious, I could not remember when or what I heard. So:

-
New Mexico Winning War on Wild Hogs
Posted by Karl Moffatt on June 24, 2014

"Federal hunters tracked down and eliminated about 700 wild pigs last year on about 5 million acres of land in 15 of 17 affected counties on mostly the state’s east side"
Entire Article: NM Winning the War on Wild Hogs | Outdoors New Mexico
-

-
740 feral hogs removed from New Mexico
NM more than a year into its 5-year feral hog removal plan
Published 7:13 PM MDT May 16, 2014
Article and Video: 740 feral hogs removed from New Mexico | New Mexico News - KOAT Home
-

-
Feral hog eradication efforts working in N.M.
By Kayla Ayres Published: June 9, 2014, 3:46 pm
Article and Video: Feral hog eradication efforts working in N.M. | KRQE News 13
-

Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,351 times
There's more hogs in NM than the authorities can remove because a lot of them are on reservations where the locals want the government to stay the hell outta their lands.

There are hogs in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana......the state government in Kansas has basically been pushing the local landowners to let them trespass so they can go kill them off so they finally resorted to using high dollar helicopters to hunt them down in BOTH Kansas and north Oklahoma. Tons of hogs in Oklahoma and Texas.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
I hope some of these hogs are properly processed into food for us humans. Wild boar rib chops are delicious.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:01 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
There's more hogs in NM than the authorities can remove because a lot of them are on reservations where the locals want the government to stay the hell outta their lands.

There are hogs in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana......the state government in Kansas has basically been pushing the local landowners to let them trespass so they can go kill them off so they finally resorted to using high dollar helicopters to hunt them down in BOTH Kansas and north Oklahoma. Tons of hogs in Oklahoma and Texas.
The only reservation in feral hog territory in NM is Mescalero Apache, which is quite small. Most everywhere else in that part of the state is Forest Service or BLM, which I imagine makes it a lot easier for eradication efforts.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
The only reservation in feral hog territory in NM is Mescalero Apache...
Well, there are feral mustangs, deer, elk, turkey for sure, but I've yet to hear of any problem in the area with feral hogs. Not to say they aren't around, but I suspect they are more prevalent to the east of the Sacramento range.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:15 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,797 times
Based on a couple online maps it looks like Southeastern New Mexico is the heart of the problem. Their population appears to be concentrated along the Pecos and in the Sacramentos.

http://www.noble.org/global/ag/news-...07/hog-map.gif
http://www.thewildlifenews.com/wp-co...-wild-pigs.gif
http://verdenews.com/SiteImages/Article/47974b.jpg

Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Based on a couple online maps it looks like Southeastern New Mexico is the heart of the problem.
I noticed one of those maps earlier, http://www.noble.org/global/ag/news-...07/hog-map.gif . But my initial thought was we don't have a problem, look at Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico