Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:45 PM

13 posts, read 23,725 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've just found this forum in my initial search for a place to live in S.W. New Mexico. Can't take snow, cold or high humidity any more. While I've lived in a lot of places, none have been in the S.W. (closest was San Antonio, TX. It seems that I am attracted to S.W. N.M., so I'm starting my inquiry here.
I prefer a simple rural lifestyle, with lots of solitude. The one thing I would hate to give up is good internet connections, so this is a consideration. Perhaps a small town would work. Righ now I live about miles out of the small town of Mt. Gilead, OH. Been here a year now, and next year will be my last. I came here because my eldest daughter is finishing at Ohio State (her huaband has graduated) and has been accepted to the Masters Program at Oxford (England). I moved here to be near her for her last two years in the U.S.
I have some small stuff in my profile, and that may save some questions. Primarily, I'm just trying to make contact with people in S.W. N.M. to see if I would really like it there. So this is my introduction, and my statement of purpose. I'll answer any questions that you ask, and hope you will do the same.

Respectfully,

Jayson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,682,882 times
There's alot of isolation and small towns in southern nm Jayson as it depends as to where you are interested in i.e. the desert or the mountains. Definately little snow and humidity here and yet not as hot as Arizona next door. I think that either Comcast or Baja internet/cable is just about everywhere in southern nm.

Anyway just ask about anything down here and one of us will give you our input.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 AM

Default Well Thank You

When I left the farm in way upstate New York back in 1964, I promised myself that I would never spend another cold winter. Until I moved to Ohio, I almost kept that promise (with only a few exceptions). It is 16 degrees here today, and about 6" of snow covers the ground. I LOVE my daughter, but I'll be glad when she leaves and I can move to better weather.

Most of my life has been spent on, in and under water of some sort. It was nice...fun...warm(mostly) and never dull. My experience in dry hot climates is limited. Many years ago I worked in Abu Dhabi for a while, and my grad studies were in the northern Great Basin (South Idaho) and Roseville CA sites. Before coming to Ohio, I lived near the Oregon coast...beautifull summers but cold wet winters.

I've learned that heating with wood offers advantages to my medical problems, so I plan on wood heat in NM. Water immediately comes to mind.....having enough and being able to store a supply. I've learned it is a good idea to have about a month's supply of neccities on hand in case of emergency. What is the water situation in S.W. NM?

I looked at AZ but decided it was too hot and too unfriendly (in an attitude sense). I have a little experience in TX and didn't like it....mostly becaue of the politics in TX. I had been thinking of just going to Belize, but I do want to experience South Western life before I totally give up on the U.S. I figure that if NM doesn't work out I can drive to Belize from there.

I'm looking for a small community out in the hinterlands. Not flat dessert, but not rugged mountains either....I'm not the 'rugged individualist' I used to be. I'm looking for an area rich in Indigineous sites, interesting geology, and maybe some "Lost...." legends that I can toy with. If there are any Archaeological sites in the area I'll probably volunteer my services.

As to the 'nicities' well, I would truly hate to give up my taste for micro-brews...a good micro is the stuff of life. I don't watch tv, but am an avid radio listener....I have a lifetime subscription to SIRIUS Satilite Radio. I'm looking for a place where people have the time and inclination to stop by and talk for a while over a cool one.

I guess you can tell that I've pretty well used up my 'go getter' supply. The only fire I want to set is in my hearth now. I'm trying to get back to simple basic lifestyles...without the complications. My computer keeps me in touch with the 'outsie world', and I use it to sell my writings. I'm slowly working on a book...when I feel like it. I enjoy exploring this and that, both in the physical sense and in the mental sense. I'm not one of those who stive to keep doing all the things I used to do, I'm trying to enjoy these last years as much as possible....and that doesn't include trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else.

I'm equally interested in Ancient Mysticism and UFOs; in the stories of old residents and the stories of new immigrants; in the history written in the geology and the history left by those who were here before.

All this, and more, make up who I am...given to you so you will be better able to understand what I am looking for.

Jayson

Old 12-07-2008, 06:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,682,882 times
Well Belize is a total different world than New Mexico as i'm sure you know and if you really like Belize than you probably will not like New Mexico.... Jayson.

Belize is a tropical rain forest and with water everywhere and rain and humidity are typical there in the Central American country as i remember how Panama, Honduras and El Salvador were in the 80's in our port calls there when i was in the U.S. Navy.

Southern NM is dry with little humidity and rain and rarely ever snows in the Chihuahuan desert. The only green is the Bosque that trails the Rio Grande River from Texas up to Colorado along it's banks and on the high elevation areas of the numerous mountain ranges.

There is alot of history as the Mogollons were early peoples here with archeological sites at the Gila Cliff dwellings and Chaco Canyon etc...and also the Spanish Conquistadors have been here since the late 1500's establishing the oldest capital in North America i.e. Santa Fe in 1610 and there are numerous Indian Peublos that still exist from the 1,000's (Sky City) and numerous U.S. Cavalry forts (ruins) up and down along the Rio Grande that protected the 1800's settlers from the Apache's and Navajo's back then so alot of history here and numerous Ghost Towns galore all over the state.

Again two totally different places between Belize and New Mexico as i'd strongly recommend a visit as you may hate it here or love it as only you can answer that Jayson.

6/3

Old 12-07-2008, 07:35 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,042,732 times
I have a friend whose daughter & family live in Silver City, and they love it there. I have only been there one time and that was years ago, and I know the town has changed a lot since then, but perhaps it is a place you should check out. I remember the area as having beautiful scenery.

Ooops. It does snow there, but I don't know how much.

(Where in upstate NY? I grew up near Rochester...but I LOVED the snow and have missed it ever since. )

Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,757,606 times
As someone who just moved from Panama and knows people who own property (and regret it) in Belize;
I'd recommend writing off most of Central America. The people are generally nice, the countryside is gorgeous,
but you'll spend 50-60% of your time there fighting to get even the simplest things accomplished.

We loved Panama but eventually just gave up. Belize is notorious for property crime, a tax-the-Yankee mentality
and for having a level of corruption that makes Mexico seem like a Boy Scout Convention.

Great areas to travel through or for extended stays, but probably not a good place to settle down.

FWIW

Mike

Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy222222000 View Post
Hello,
I've just found this forum in my initial search for a place to live in S.W. New Mexico. Can't take snow, cold or high humidity any more. While I've lived in a lot of places, none have been in the S.W. (closest was San Antonio, TX. It seems that I am attracted to S.W. N.M., so I'm starting my inquiry here.
I prefer a simple rural lifestyle, with lots of solitude. The one thing I would hate to give up is good internet connections, so this is a consideration. Perhaps a small town would work. Righ now I live about miles out of the small town of Mt. Gilead, OH. Been here a year now, and next year will be my last. I came here because my eldest daughter is finishing at Ohio State (her huaband has graduated) and has been accepted to the Masters Program at Oxford (England). I moved here to be near her for her last two years in the U.S.
I have some small stuff in my profile, and that may save some questions. Primarily, I'm just trying to make contact with people in S.W. N.M. to see if I would really like it there. So this is my introduction, and my statement of purpose. I'll answer any questions that you ask, and hope you will do the same.

Respectfully,

Jayson
You can find a lot of solitude in the SW and there are rural areas. The climate in southern NM is great -- there are cold winter areas up in the mountains that you probably want to avoid.

Some of the small towns outside of Las Cruces might suit you. Albuquerque and Santa Fe might offer you more cultural activities but a colder. Anywhere in New Mexico lacks high humidity.

You could travel around to a few cities or towns and get a feel for them.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy222222000 View Post
I'm equally interested in Ancient Mysticism and UFOs; in the stories of old residents and the stories of new immigrants; in the history written in the geology and the history left by those who were here before.

All this, and more, make up who I am...given to you so you will be better able to understand what I am looking for.

Jayson
You might like Roswell for the UFO's. For the mysticism stuff, I'd look at Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Cimarron. The areas near the Indian reservations might appeal if you're looking for their history.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:33 PM

Default More Difinitive Answers

Thank you all for your replies....I'm always amazed at how people interpret what is written.

I do want to come to S.W. N.M....it is an area I have no experience in and want to live there, at least for a while. I seem drawn to it.

Silver City has been a focal point for me because of it's location and I met someone who lived there for a while. I specifically picked S.W. N.M. because of it's location....not flat dessert, not high mountains. I'm thinking about 4 - 6000 feet elevation in that area would be comfortable all year round. I'm also looking at Catron County.

I'm originally from a little town named Cape Vincent, N.Y. It is right on the point where Lake Ontario empties into the St. Lawrence River. Dec - Mar it was usually 20 below and 4 - 5 feet of snow. I hated it then and I couldn't live ther now at all.

I've spent some time in Central America, and know it fairly well. I've had a friend living in Belize since before Independence and have visited often. The City of Belize is a tourist trap now....like Vera Cruz, and the other popular spots. I have in mind a place up in the mountains at about 7,000 feet. less humidity and heat. I now fit very well into the laid back attitude so it would not be an issue...but internet connection is an issue that far out.

I'm a little familiar with the general history of N.M. from Spanish times forward...less so pre-invasion. One of my fields of study has been the Early Peopling of the Americas. I was trying to make a "funny" with the reference to UFO's and Mysticism....while both are interesting in conversation, they both lack a solid basis for study in my frame of reference. I don't disbelieve....everything is possible....but they don't attract my attention as a serious subject.

I'm always interested in Native American items and issues, and have some knowledge and understanding of both. Living in an area shared with Native Americans would be a great boon to my understanding and store of knowledge.

I would like to hear from some older people living out in the small towns. What is life like on a day to day basis? Is water a problem? How do you shelter your home to use the least amount of outside power sources? Is wood plentifull for heating? Do you use double roofs and wide shaded areas as they do in TX? Is Adobe really a cool (temperature wise) building material? Would Stone be practicle to use as a building material to help keep utility costs down?

When I sell this home, I'm thinking of buying a travel trailer. I find that I "need" a lot less in my older years. Would it be better to buy some land with water and a trailer or small house on it...or bring a trailer and buy the land separately once I get there? How restrictive are zoning laws in small towns?

What are the experiences of those who are older and living on rather small fixed incomes?

I remember that Taos used to be a great place....with poor artisans living and working there. Then It got "Popular" and "Trendy" and I hear it is now too expensive for poor artisans anymore. Are there any other artisan communities that have not shared this fate of popularity? Particularly in S.W. N.M.?

This quest is slowly taking shape as I get feedback from more people. I'm truly enjoying this learning experience...a new one for me. As you learn more about me, what I'm like and what I'm looking for, your answers and questions become more on point.

I really enjoyed the time I spent in Southern Idaho, at the top of the Great Basin. Dry butte and messa country with wonderful views and vistas, leading up to the foot hills and then mountains. The Roseville CA site was less beautiful, with flat dry land cut with washes and jumbled rock hills.

I am definately coming to S.W.N.M in a year....whether or not I have anything set up or not. This email list introduction and dialogue before moving is new to me....and I'm curious as to how much utility it will have in the final chapter. So insights from University Students and retired are equally welcome and helpfull. Hopefully, a few will understand me, and what I am about, through this and we can raise a glass in salute to my successfull transition from a place I dislike (Ohio) to a place I may well love (N.M.). I think some already realize that I am not uneducated, and am not interested in the economies of an area. I'm well past that in my life and am trying to enjoy this phase as much as possible. I'm trying to make my physical location as harmonious as possible with my mental location. There is really not much difference (except the obvious) between those who live on wide ocean vistas and those who live on wide dry vistas.

I saw a graphitti message that has stuck with me. It was written on a once white wall that was crumbling into the sea. "You can only see as far as you can think." Life in the Coast Range in Oregon was nice...but I had to drive to the ocean once in a while just to expand the range of what I could see. I felt closed in by the mountains. I ddin't feel that in Southern Idaho because the mountains were to my north and the vast expanse of the Great Basin began to my south. I'd like to find a similar area in N.M.

Jayson

Old 12-08-2008, 02:02 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,042,732 times
Jayson,

Have you actually ever been in New Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico