Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2006, 02:49 AM

827 posts, read 5,078,699 times

Advertisements

If I were to retire in New Mexico from all the cities here I know about, I would pick the following: In the Southwest, Silver City; the South, Las Cruces; the Southeast, Carlsbad. In the ABQ area, I'd pick out by the tram or out in Tijeras-Cedar Crest or Edgewood-Moriarty (although no doubt these areas will get bigger being so close to ABQ). In the Central East, I 'd pick Tucumcari, since you are retiring, you don't have to worry about a job which there aren't many there nor are there many houses out that way. In Northern NM, I'd pick either the towns around Taos like Red River or go north and settle in Mancos, Durango or Pagosa, Colorado which these cities are near the NM border. In the Northwest, I'd pick Farmington, but only if money were no object so I could live in the posh ritzy areas there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 AM

34 posts, read 183,434 times
Default Retiring To Nm

Hi Crackerjack:
I'm new on your board and was hoping that you could possibly give me some insightful info on where you might consider a good place for my husband and I to retire in NM. First off I have to take into consideration environment allergies and heat, so we were thinking that a high desert area would be the key. Cooler temperatures and less vegetation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much, Biolynx (Catryna)

Old 09-11-2006, 03:03 AM

I got out my map and did some looking at areas that will try to meet all your requirements. There are a few possible places I will list and give you the pros and cons of each and then you can look into those areas and narrow it down to your own liking.

1. Near Aztec - I don't say in Aztec because in Aztec, there are a good number of trees and it is pretty green for a desert but once you get out away from there, in the country, it is barren. It is inexpensive and close to Farmington where there is great medical care and Durango has many medical centers, surgical centers and a great hospital and so on. It doesn't get the hot heat like the other desert cities and it has mild winters. There are a good number of homes in the area. Many also buy land and build. Water is more available there then in most of the other desert areas. Cons would be - not any I can think of, except you don't want to speed in Aztec since the police are "super" active in stopping speeders.

2. Moriarty - it is near ABQ but far enough away to be in a rural area. It is close to ABQ for medical which is nice. It will feel really country out there with horses and ranchers. It is pretty barren of trees and such that cause allergies. The cons, really not many, you do need to travel to ABQ for stuff to do and there aren't a lot of homes there. Many buy land and build or put large modular homes on their land. Make sure if you buy any land to get inspectors to inspect the water, you will need water and some areas, it can be hard to get it. I would pay to make sure I had a good well on the land before I bought it. Other then that, Moriarty is a good choice.

3. Bloomfield - it is small and barren. Not much of any vegetation. It looks like the "Road Runner and Coyote" cartoon land. Stark unusual hills. It is close to Farmington which has good medical. It is inexpensive. The con would be there are oil refineries in the area, so I would live out away from the refineries not near them. Like Moriarty, not many homes. Again, they either build a home or buy a modular on some land. There are more homes in the area though.

4. Silver City - it is larger then the other two yet still a small city, but the other three are closer to big cities and Silver City is more remote. You can find areas around there that have little vegetation. The further north you go there, the more trees. The cons would be it is more expensive then the other two and it is high in altitude so make sure it is OK with your doctor, health wise. The other factor about Silver City is some people think the mines might be a health issue, I am not sure. I would live up in the pines if I lived there but since you have the allergies, I would also ask around if Silver City's mines are an issue with your health concerns. Also they have basic medical but for anything serious, I think would be best to go to El Paso or Las Cruces, which are the best in the area.

Those are four possible areas. Aztec or Moriarty I think fits best, then Bloomfield, then Silver City for your health concerns, what you asked to have and so forth. I would check out those areas and see if they fit you.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,211 times
You sound very informed! We are a family of 5. We have children. Middle/high school age. Were looking for good schools and VERY LOW crime. If we have to travel 30-60min for fun, we are fine with that. Houses around $200k or less. Help?

Old 09-12-2006, 12:29 AM

TornandoAlley, I wish I knew more about schools but I will tell you the ones I know are great schools from what people tell me.
Aztec - I know the high school is rated well and several people have told me that they are very pleased with the school system there.
Bayfield, Colorado - I know it isn't NM but is near the NM border and the reason I bring it up is it is one of the best school systems in the whole region and many move there just for the schools.
Alamogordo - I know some have told me the school system is pretty good with attention to sports and music, again word of mouth.
Those are the three I know with great schools AND low on crime. Housing, Aztec is pretty reasonable, Alamo is too. Bayfield is reasonable for Colorado. My choices if I had kids;
1. Bayfield great sports and academics (I know everyone pretty much knows one another and are a tight, friendly community).
2. Aztec - great sports, academics and community.
3. Alamo - great sports and music but larger population, so larger schools and more students but still really good.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:34 AM

34 posts, read 183,434 times
Crackerjack:
Thank you very much for all your great info. My husband and I are planning a road trip this winter or early spring and will check out the towns you mentioned, among others. This site is fantastic for gathering information.
Thanks again, Biolynx

Old 09-13-2006, 12:50 AM

You are welcome Biolynx! If you go to Aztec, you might as well go up to Durango for a visit if you can. It is only 34 miles or so from Aztec and is worth the trip. If you can go on the Durango-Silverton train, it will take you up into the mountains and is a really neat ride. Anyway, Good Luck on your trip!

Old 09-17-2006, 01:03 AM

13 posts, read 39,980 times
Truth or Consequences, NM is mostly a retirement community. There is high elevation, hot springs for your aches and pains, 40 mile lake, mountains, hospital (sort of), Chiropractors, affordable living, RV parks galore, senior rec center that has dances and such,...

Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM

48 posts, read 223,674 times
Default about new mexico

crackerjack, I read your info. on retireing in new mexico.I plan to retire in 10 to 15 years down the road. Presently, looking at a 5 acre lot off of 549.water in area according to realitor is not a problem,as water can be found at 100 to 180 feet.Power is 1/4 mile at a neighboring house.as the road frontage on property is dirt I soppose 549 is paved.no development here,no dues,no time limit to build.virturaly no restrictions Iam told.Being 20 min.from deming and 45 min.to las cruses. I believe at 15,000 dollars this would be a good long term investment,I am told this is a growing area.near wonderful views of the florida mountins and close to rock hound park.can you tell me anything more i should find out. thankyou tomcat

Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 AM

Tomcat, I would be very careful about what a realtor says. I would get an inspector to inspect the well and land before I dropped any money into it. Deming is very arid and lacks water in many areas. I personally would live in town with city water if I lived there because even if you have a well with water, it can go for long periods of time without much rain and the well can dry up. Right now with all the rains NM has had, water will probably be there, but NM doesn't usually get that much rain, so I'd be careful. If it isn't paved, I would pass as well. The rains make unpaved roads in NM very muddy and they can wash out. Also get an estimate from the electric company on what it would cost to bring electricity to your house. It can be shocking how much it can cost, even that short of a distance. But if you still are interested, honestly, get a qualified inspector to look at the land and well before you buy, otherwise pass up on it. That would be my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico