Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:01 PM

37 posts, read 186,735 times

Advertisements

Hey There,

I live in Seattle now, but am longing to find a new city to move to. Is Alburqurque a prime example?

The cost of living is obviously a consideration, but also climate, jobs, arts and, for me more than anything else, the local indie music scene.

Any ideas?

Mercy buckets!

Jon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,852 times
Hi Jon,
I moved to Olympia four years ago from Santa Fe. I'm torn about moving back but know I can't afford Santa Fe and it is a little too touristy and small for me as a single person. I'm considering ABQ but have never been impressed just driving around but I would like to check it out because it is cheaper and more to do.

I love the green and water here but Oly is a little small and Seattle is too expensive even though for a large city it is the best of the places I've lived.

The climate in NM is awesome, lots of art (I have a friend who is a potter) and for me tons of couple dancing opportunities. I don't know what indie music is (I'm 54 so I'm guessing it is music young people listen to.) I'll be graduating from college next year and then I have to decide if I'm going to move. I'm going to NM in August for two weeks. Maybe I should talk to people about possible jobs or graduate programs. If I got a job in ABQ I'd definitely move there.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:29 PM

150 posts, read 792,631 times
Default Unless you like sun... don't come

Hi from Albuquerque (not that easy to spell is it?) :-) Just kiddin'

I've lived in Albuquerque for 23 years now, and love it's year round mild climate, varied arts, ancient history, and technological future too, with Sandia Labs, monster Intel Plant, etc. (Intel's across the Rio Grande in Rio Rancho,NM (check it out seperately...pop. about 70,000, and growing like crazy!
I'm a professional photographer, so NM is known by all artists for it's unique light, landscapes, and other "enchantments."
One thing I can tell you...people either love it or hate it.
Skiing in the winter at your backdoor in the Sandias, numerous "Open Space" parks for hiking, and bicycling along the foothills...and it is also a "young" city, with average age in the upper 20's. UNM offers the full gamut of educational possibilites, and varied entertainment resources within its unique "Pueblo Style" campus buildings.
I too am an oldie apparently, and do not know your choice of music, but I'm sure it is present with our many clubs.
You just want to (as in any city of size...Alb. is about 550,000) stay away from certain areas of the city...especially after dark. The Northeastern third of Albuquerque up to the 11,000ft. Sandia's base is probably the best places to live (I do.) And, of course, each October we have the biggest fiesta of all...the balloon fiesta. We enjoy, and respect our rich heritage here of anglo, mexican, spanish, and native american...plus later arrivals. A true melting pot!
We are nothing like the "hotter" cities in the SW, like El Paso, Tucson, or Phoenix...matter of fact, we just hit 100 for the first time in five years!
The depths of Winter is about 45H/25L, but with the abundant sunshine, it feels much warmer than that. Being in Seattle...you do remember the sun don't you? Especially in winter...ooh, I'm getting a chill just thinking of cloudy and damp, LOL. A very beautiful city, and area though.
Enjoy your search for a new home. You could do a lot worse than Albuquerque. Just an hour to Santa Fe also...which is obscenely expensive in all things! Good luck. LJ

Old 07-06-2007, 05:33 PM

37 posts, read 186,735 times
Default Queana to y'all!

Hey there Dancing Earth and NM Photojournalist.

Many and much mahalos! Having grown up in Hawaii I do enjoy the sun. But I like the notion that the winters do not feel as cold as that. Yes, the toughest thing about living in the Northwest is the clammy dampness, not to mention the constant expanse of gray blanketing the skies.

You are right, DE, about Olympia. It's a quaint little town. Is that little mediterranean place, was it called The Oasis or something like that? They have a fairly decent lunchtime buffet, but the falafel keeps running out!

I will definitely trip down to New Mexico soon. Oddly enough, I was also considering Tucson, since they have a fine music scene, but the potential heat is scary. And the cost of living seems higher.

What's the job market like?

Nos vemos!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:16 PM

96 posts, read 410,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondotkom View Post
The cost of living is obviously a consideration, but also climate, jobs, arts and, for me more than anything else, the local indie music scene.
you might also check out Austin, TX

I'm sure googling for your choice in music should show you where the clubs are.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondotkom View Post
Hey there Dancing Earth and NM Photojournalist.

Many and much mahalos! Having grown up in Hawaii I do enjoy the sun. But I like the notion that the winters do not feel as cold as that. Yes, the toughest thing about living in the Northwest is the clammy dampness, not to mention the constant expanse of gray blanketing the skies.

You are right, DE, about Olympia. It's a quaint little town. Is that little mediterranean place, was it called The Oasis or something like that? They have a fairly decent lunchtime buffet, but the falafel keeps running out!

I will definitely trip down to New Mexico soon. Oddly enough, I was also considering Tucson, since they have a fine music scene, but the potential heat is scary. And the cost of living seems higher.

What's the job market like?

Nos vemos!
Hi Jondotkom, I hadn't heard of the Oasis (except in Santa Fe timewarp for a second. I looked and saw there is a place called Sweet Oasis. I will check it out--I don't eat out a lot (doing the college poor thing again) but haven't found anything that stands out when I do. I did get turned on to Korean food here--The Seoul. Yep, the gray skies in winter get to me.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
you might also check out Austin, TX
Yeah........ he/she could but these are not the Austin Texas threads..........

Old 07-10-2007, 08:51 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,847,633 times
Hi,
I just wanted to tell you that I've lived for a little while in Albuquerque, while my husband was working there, and I LOVED THE PLACE. That is a city with a lots of jobs, shops, and other cool stuff. Climate is very good, but I really don't know about the Indie music scene. Just go there and check it out.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,114 times
Hey from NC!
My husband & I are looking to move to NM within the next year (We have family in Santa Fe). Even though we would love to live in SF, I am sure we can't afford it & have looked at northern ABQ or Bernalillo County or Rio Rancho. We are both high school teachers. Does anyone know the websites for the public school system job listings? Thanks for all the good info LJ---You make ABQ sound like a great city & and you are right---It is hard to spell!
Thanks,
FP

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM

150 posts, read 792,631 times
Albuquerque Public Schools: ww2.aps.edu/cgi/showcareer.cgi
Rio Rancho Public Schools: Summary of RRPS Job Listings

You are correct "GoingWest," Santa Fe is sky high in everything.
In addition to these public school districts, Albuquerque also has a number of private schools, most prominently, "The Academy," on Northern Wyoming Blvd, and several Christian schools also.

There is usually (depending on subject or class of course) a shortage of teachers here. Sis is a Special Education teacher with APS. Rio Rancho is booming, just recently getting their own school system apart from APS. Lots of new housing out there on the "West Mesa" above the Rio Grande River. If your looking for homes in Albuquerque, seek out residences north of Menaul, and East of Wyoming boulevards. There are lots of bargains here now, with the national housing sales slumping. Good luck! Hope this bit helps somewhat.

Last edited by nm_photojournalist; 07-11-2007 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: incorrect website listing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico