Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 39,153 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Albuquerque two years ago from Louisville KY, not far from you. It was a big adjustment. Say goodbye to southern hospitality. When we first moved here the only positive thing I could say about this city was how great the weather is, a nice view of mountains from anywhere, and that’s about it. It has grown on me a little though. The worst part of the move was getting use to rude people. I'm from a place where men open doors for ladies, where people say hello as you pass, and there is an overall kindness towards one another. Not here. In Albuquerque you will be cut off daily in bad traffic, accused of shoplifting in all Wal-marts (you have to show a receipt when you leave, and the greeters never greet you) the nightlife is something to be desired, and there are hardly any restaurants. Check out truth or consequences. I drove thru there on my way to Tucson and it was a small town near hot springs and a lake. The people there were nice. Just a very small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 02:02 PM

156 posts, read 378,479 times
Default AFwife ...

Thanks for your thoughts on Albuquerque and comparisons to Louisville. Your opinions are appreciated. As you probably know, we live approx 100 miles NW of Louisville out in the woods of southern Indiana.

After much thought and discussion plus great feedback from others on this forum, we have pretty much decided that our relocation from Indiana will probably be somewhere in Arkansas. By doing so, we'll keep the things we've grown to love since childhood ... namely, the hills, trees, greenery, vegetable garden, familiar critters, etc. New Mexico was beautiful when I rode through on a motorcycle venture, but it may not be exactly what we're looking for as a retirement home ... aside from the beautiful climate and mountain vistas.

Best of luck as you acclimate to your new home.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,741,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife1983 View Post
In Albuquerque...accused of shoplifting in all Wal-marts (you have to show a receipt when you leave, and the greeters never greet you)....
Well, I am sorry if this has been your experience, but I have to tell you, I live in Albuquerque, have gone to Wal Mart over 75 times shopping since I moved here 3-years ago, and have never once been accused of shoplifting...not once. I also have never been asked to show a receipt in any of my purchases - big, small, or in between. Finally, the greeters greet me most of the time, although I don't know if I am sour if they do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife1983 View Post
the nightlife is something to be desired, and there are hardly any restaurants.
Oh comeon. This isn't true at all. I guess "nightlife" is up in the eye of the beholder (although if you think nightlife isn't good in ABQ, I cannot see how you can suggest Truth or Consequences), but to say there are "hardly any restaurants" is just not true. Albuquerque has more authentic [eg: not chain] Mexican and New Mexican restaurants than many portions of Phoenix, and Phoenix is about five-times the population! There is also a wide range of other ethnic cuisines (Thai, Mandarin, Italian, Pizza, American, Steak, Brazilian Steak, etc.) all over the place!, in addition to many chain restaurants (Mimi's Cafe, Rockfish, Fox and Hounds, Landry's, Boston Pizza, just to name a couple off of the top of my head)...what about the Frontier? One of the Range Cafes? One of the Flying Star Cafes? There are more restaurants than I can even think of that are GREAT. One of the best parts of Albuquerque is the food...[/quote]

Old 02-13-2007, 07:53 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,047,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
There are more restaurants than I can even think of that are GREAT. One of the best parts of Albuquerque is the food...
Enjoy EP,

I agree with you!

I lived in ABQ for a year a long time ago, and have visited Albuquerque many times in the past 37 years ~ and I still have not gone to all the restaurants there that I want to try.

Food lovers! Don't cross ABQ off your list because you have heard you cannot get great food there!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,077,662 times
Sorry, I have to disagree about the restaurants in Albuquerque -- most are just so-so in my opinion. After living in Houston -- known worldwide for it's food and restaurants, and in the DC area where good restaurants abound -- Albuquerque just doesn't compare to my mind. As an example, the Carabba's here is terrible compared to several in the DC area. Things just aren't nearly as fresh in most restuarants here.

But back to the topic ... :-) AFwife1983, I'm so sorry you had such an unfriendly experience in Albuquerque. As I've said before, I'm always amazed at the 180 degree perspectives of people of the same area. I don't know where you lived specifically in SW Albuquerque, but that is generally an area I was told to avoid. For me though, I've encountered pretty friendly people all over Albuquerque.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:12 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,047,456 times
Yes, LLD, we disagree .... I have NEVER gotten a good New Mexican meal (well, actually I have never gotten ANY New Mexican meals whatsoever) at any restaurant anywhere in Texas!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
LLD

And I can't get any good Tex Mex here in Albuquerque either! LOL New Mexican and Tex Mex have some similarities but definite differences too.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLD View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree about the restaurants in Albuquerque -- most are just so-so in my opinion. After living in Houston -- known worldwide for it's food and restaurants, and in the DC area where good restaurants abound -- Albuquerque just doesn't compare to my mind. As an example, the Carabba's here is terrible compared to several in the DC area. Things just aren't nearly as fresh in most restuarants here.
Well LLD, as always I really do appreciate your input, but as...sometimes...I guess we'll have to respectfully disagree!

Surely I cannot claim that Albuquerque has better (or worse) restaurants than Houston or D.C.; I admittedly, while having spent a little time in D.C., have never spent extensive time in either city. Thus, with you having been a resident of both areas, I will have to trust your judgement.

However, I think it is important to bear in mind that both Houston and D.C. are two of the biggest metro areas in the entire U.S. Thus, like NYC, Chicago, and L.A., it would stand to bear that the restaurant selection is going to be much bigger in areas of 3-million-plus, generally, than an area with still less than a million. (I do heartily realize there are exceptions to this rule...Santa Fe and Taos...both near Albuquerque, are two notable ones, being small towns with world-class cuisine)...

Also, Houston and D.C. are both cities right near gulfs/oceans. As such, if it is seafood you are looking to dine on, I cannot contest that seafood at coastal locales is indeed going to be fresher (and generally better) than the seafood in a desert town like ABQ.

I note that you cite Carabba's as your exampled so-so restaurant. As you know, Carabba's is a large chain, part of the same chain as the Outback Steakhouse chain. I think when evaluating restaurants in ABQ, the local / "mom and pop" spots - which ABQ is so rich in - are what really stand out, not the chains.

I will give you this...I (and many Albuquerqueans) absolutely love Mexican food and the local New Mexican cuisine...I could eat Mexican or New Mexican several times a week happily. I think if you enjoy Mexican / New Mexican, you'd love the restaurant scene here. Admittedly, if you were not a fan of Mexican / New Mexican, you might not love the scene here as much.

But LLD, have you tried one of the Range Cafes? If not, you have to go to one, and then report back...that will have you more pro-local dining! Or what about Yanni's or Mykano's for Mediterranean?? Great stuff! Or for "greasy spoon" type hearty cuisine, hit the Frontier for a cin. roll and a breakfast burrito!!

But I guess where I was coming from was that the original poster said that "there are hardly any restaurants" in ABQ, and that is just not the case. Now whether folks enjoy the restaurants or not, that is a matter of personal preference. But there are restaurants choices EVERYWHERE in this town, and folks generally are struck by just how many restaurants there are in this city, considering the less-than-one-million size of it.

P.S. Try the Range, or, if you'd prefer an upscale chain, try the new Elephant Bar at ABQ Uptown...really great food!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM

...and remember...Santa Fe, one of the most famous world-class restaurant scenes in the nation...is only a 45-minute drive away from Albuquerque with all of their restaurant choices as well!

(Although personally I would take a great mom-and-pop Mexican or Mexican Mariscos Albuquerque restaurant over a Santa Fe pricey one any day...such as Mariscos Altamar on Coors or Ruben's on Candelaria)...

Old 02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
LLD

I've eaten in Santa Fe and I'd say there are many more really excellent restaurants there in terms of freshness and orginality like I'm used to and prefer. I agree that big metro areas usually have lots of good food compared to smaller places. But I lived in Austin also which is a comparable size to Albuquerque and the food was 100% bettere in Austin, and I'm not talking about just Mexican. As to chains, well yeah that was my point. Even the chains are better elsewhere than in Albuquerque.

I know the Range Cafe well. I go to the one in Bernalillo since I live up that way. They have some very good dishes but once in a while even they aren't that great. Guess I just have a picky palate. :-)

I do really like El Patio located near the univesity. That is home cooked New Mexican IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico