Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 AM

51 posts, read 208,184 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was grateful for the information in the thread about rattle snakes and dogs.Now that I know how to keep my '' baby '' safe what about me? I have heard that cockroaches are a problem in NM. They totally creep me out.I actually am awed by insects and critters ( I once tried to nurse a small brown bat I found on my patio back to health ) but these guys just turn my stomache.How does one control them? Also, is there any other bugs or critters I need to be concerned about? Just don't want them in my house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
In alamogordo.......well not as bad as arizona but you have your desert dwellers there (rattlers,scorpions,fireants etc..) just use common sense and keep your eyes open and you'll be o.k.If you have water heaters in closets dont stick your hands under or behind as black windows love to live there and don't keep piles of lumber/wood as snakes and scorpions can use as shelter but don't think i've ever read in the paper there about anyone seriously being bitten or stung for years but i could be wrong...

Old 01-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info harry o.I have lived in Arizona and also Florida and the population of insects was overwhelming at times.The Brown Recluse was a much feared spider in Arizona.I never saw one but a few years ago a friend in Ohio had his relatives from Arizona come for a stay.Guess one traveled along in luggage.My friend got bitten and had to have a bit of skin removed from his leg.He had to go through all that and never got to see the west! I am will remember your advice and not stick my hands anywhere dark or keep a pile of stuff laying around.And about keeping a Road Runner in the yard to keep away snakes...do people actually do that? Can they be tamed and trained to stay? That would be oh so cool!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheys_mom10 View Post
And about keeping a Road Runner in the yard to keep away snakes...do people actually do that? Can they be tamed and trained to stay? That would be oh so cool!
No...i was being Facetious in saying that. Its the state bird of New Mexico and i'm sure it would be illegal to trap/keep one and thats if you could even catch one as they are super quick. I know they eat snakes/small rodents and saw a good show on National Geographic years ago about the desert and its creatures and they showed a roadrunner run circles around the rattler and rip it to shreds and eat it...

You may also encounter the ugliest creature i've ever seen and thats the Whip Scorpion as they are all over the place in Alamo but don't worry as they are harmless (non poisonous) they eat crickets and such...

Old 01-08-2007, 01:13 PM

I don't think Whip Scorpions would bother me as they are harmless and eat other insects and don't invade my home, or will they? I am curious to see one though and will look it up on online. My main concern is cockroaches. I can find beauty in almost any creature except flies and those little fellows! My first night in Florida I awoke in my rental to see them running all over in the dark. Ick! I will never forget that.I was to start a new job the next day and spent the night with the bedroom lights on.The final straw was when I went to use the bathroom in the night.A tiny bathroom mind you, and as I sat there I noticed the biggest cockroach ever hanging on the curtain right next to me.For some reason I am deathly afraid of them!Got the place fumigated the next day.I know they are harmless but can't stop thinking they may be a problem in NM. I am sure we have them here in PA but I never had a problem.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:44 PM

Looked up those whip scorpions. I agree that they are ugly!!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Roadrunners can actually be bribed into staying around. A friend's family used to have one that would wait every day, pacing back and forth, to be fed. Preferable for them to be eating bugs and snakes, but hey..

I give my nasty critter votes to vinegaroons and child-of-the-earths. Fast as a scorpion, bigger, hairier, and with some centipede characteristics. ::shudder::

As far as the real vermin (cockroaches), getting your house sprayed regularly usually takes care of it, though I've noticed dead ones showing up in the spring (at least they're dead). I seem to get a lot of spiders though most are harmless (desert recluses are pretty common, if brown recluses aren't.. just as deadly).

At least we don't have ticks.

But these critters were here first, and you get this sort of problem anywhere (even if the critters differ).

Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheys_mom10 View Post
Looked up those whip scorpions. I agree that they are ugly!!
I believe i read where you said your going to have a horse?? These Whip scorpions (vinegaroons) love it at the bottom of hale bales as its dark,damp and moist there.So when grabing a bale of hay on the ground keep your eyes open...LOL...

Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM

I think I will be able to handle all the bugs and critters. I don't mind spiders since they kill flies which in my opinion are filthy, nasty and annoying. I just don't like the spiders that bite! But who does? I am glad to know that there are no ticks.They are a real problem here in PA. So are there any unusually pretty insects in NM? I love butterflies.I also love lizards. I hope to see lots of them.Are there any in particular to avoid?

Old 01-24-2007, 01:50 AM

642 posts, read 2,552,126 times
I am not sure where to find how to keep dogs safe from snakes. I am very concerned my 'baby' will get bitten. More concerned then I am for myself. I was hoping at very high elevations there wouldnt be a probelm with snakes as much. Ewwwwww all the insect talk UGH that was a huge reason why I fled Florida. They were very healthy there and Big enough to carry you off YUCK!

Are the bugs so much as to have a home fumigated before you move in no matter what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico