Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,640,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post

Are the bugs so much as to have a home fumigated before you move in no matter what?
No for the most part its not a problem here in NM although anywhere/place can have problems, I know what you mean about Fla as i used to live in Jacksonville and it was bugs everywhere as the heat and humidity is what they love...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,418,848 times
An exterminator will get rid of the roaches easily enough. My old house years ago had more than icould count, so i left for a couple of days for the exterminator to do his thing and they were gone.
I wouldnt live in fear of anything, spiders or whatever, its just not worth the time and hassle! You can be weary, think twice about putting your hand under rocks, but all is generally fine.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheys_mom10 View Post
Thanks for the info harry o.I have lived in Arizona and also Florida and the population of insects was overwhelming at times.The Brown Recluse was a much feared spider in Arizona.I never saw one but a few years ago a friend in Ohio had his relatives from Arizona come for a stay.Guess one traveled along in luggage.My friend got bitten and had to have a bit of skin removed from his leg.He had to go through all that and never got to see the west! I am will remember your advice and not stick my hands anywhere dark or keep a pile of stuff laying around.And about keeping a Road Runner in the yard to keep away snakes...do people actually do that? Can they be tamed and trained to stay? That would be oh so cool!
Also had a friend receive a bite (on her arm) while retrieving supplies in the basement of an office building. Her manager told her not to worry about it, which was a mistake. Now she has a long scar where tissue was removed.
But the recluses are rarely deadly. They are shy spiders that protect themselves by biting if sat on, leaned on, etc.. A scientist in Mexico found 500 of them in a home in , where they are common, and no one in the family was bitten.
"I know they are harmless..."
Not really. Roaches can cause diahrrea but, more importantly, when the insect body desicates the particles float in the air and aggravate lung tissues, making life miserable for kids with asthma.
Normal sanitation and an occasional pesticide treatment, if necessary, will control the roaches. When it is very hot the spiders will enter your home where it is cooler, but a thorough vacuuming will take care of most them. If you're concerned about the spiders in the vacuum you might pour some talc on the floor (just a little) before vacuuming. This will help suffocate them.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 01-24-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: omission

Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 PM

27 posts, read 126,070 times
dont ferget to shake out yer boots before you put them on in the morning!
bitey things like to hide in boots at night or even make little webs.

in albuquerque we had an aweful time with black widows. i used to bugbomb quite often.
in chamisal even tho its been the winter i have seen some prolific spiders!! HUGE and outdoors in freezing temps!!

Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM

642 posts, read 2,555,118 times
O Jacksonville ... Im sorry you got stuck there! I was in Middleburg about 35 minutes south. Huge rattlesnakes. Is there a certain area to watch out for snakes? Are they more in the mountains or stay away from higher elevations?

Old 01-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
O Jacksonville ... Im sorry you got stuck there! I was in Middleburg about 35 minutes south. Huge rattlesnakes. Is there a certain area to watch out for snakes? Are they more in the mountains or stay away from higher elevations?
Yeah i remember middleburg/greencove springs/orange park...anyway its rare to see rattlers but stay away from auto junk yards, under mobile home trailers and log piles etc..as they hide under these for shelter.....

Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rose View Post
dont ferget to shake out yer boots before you put them on in the morning!
bitey things like to hide in boots at night or even make little webs.

in albuquerque we had an aweful time with black widows. i used to bugbomb quite often.
in chamisal even tho its been the winter i have seen some prolific spiders!! HUGE and outdoors in freezing temps!!
T-rose....New Mexico doesn't have the scorpion problem as bad as Arizona. I know people in Tucson have to keep black lights to see the scorpions at night.

Black Widows although all over shouldn't be a concern as they are blind so they only live on their webs and not crawl around looking for prey. They live under log piles or old pipe piles and behind water heaters big cracks in walls etc...If you see webbing and little tiny round eggs with spikes on them (looks like ww2 sea mines) then thats probably black widow webbing....

Old 01-24-2007, 06:13 PM

27 posts, read 126,070 times
i guess its down south and close to the AZ border where i have had issues with scorpions. camping down there in particular.

the widows we had were relentless in the garage and if you are as freaked out by spiders as i am....its just not rational that they are blind. their webs were thick and sticky in dark corners of the garage. we had loads of them!!

Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-rose View Post

the widows we had were relentless in the garage and if you are as freaked out by spiders as i am....its just not rational that they are blind. their webs were thick and sticky in dark corners of the garage. we had loads of them!!
I forgot about car garages in corners and behind workbenches and inside cynder blocks. I don't blame you for freaking out but they do love damp cool dark places. I wanted to be an Entomologist (insect scientist) so i studied them alot back in high school and they are blind but have an incredible sense of vibration. The males do wander but are harmless. You could always keep a nest of Mud Dauber wasps as they eat Black Widows. Keep a broom handy.....

Old 01-25-2007, 03:06 AM

642 posts, read 2,555,118 times
Question Keeping my pets safe from snakes

I was hoping someone could tell me what the best way to keep a pet especially a dog safer from snakes. Its a real concern for me. My pup is so curious and is used to running arounf in the yard with no concerns. He is also a shorty & so close to the ground he seems to find everything. I cannot find the old post that gave this info ... can you please help with thhis?

Its very appreciated,

coltoncity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico