Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 06:52 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,184,688 times

Advertisements

I recently heard about Port Aransas. That would be another good destination. I drove through Texas recently. Never again. HORRIBLE traffic from Waco all the way to Austin at non rush hour. The island dog park in Austin was very nice, though. Fredericksburg was pretty nice, too. Shrug. But: 65mph cross winds on I-10. White-knuckled that for 5 hrs. and finally got a motel. Next day wasn't much better.

Re hill country: I saw plenty of people complaining about the tree allergies (it was January). I wasn't affected but a fair number of people were. Not enough diverse flora (trees) for my taste.

I've traveled around quite a bit in this country every single area has its drawbacks it's all about what you want, what you can't avoid (job, obligations, etc.) or what you can tolerate. NO place is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2024, 07:30 AM

25,904 posts, read 20,909,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! No,seriously? He wanted to extend The Wall to include the TX/NM border? How would all those Tx oil guys feel, who have swank vacation homes at the higher elevations in NM, about getting Walled off?

40,000 Africans and Asians arriving in Denver over 2 yrs? Isn't Denver already short on housing? I used to see Africans at the post office, who looked like they were getting by on charity. But not in the tens of thousands, lol. Where are the national headlines, about masses of Africans and Asians coming into the US via Mexico? I've read about Russians trying that. Are you sure the TX governor wasn't exaggerating to gain political brownie points?
Having lived in Aurora, CO for 10+ years, I suspect that Denver is used as something of a catch-all when referring to recently arrived immigrants. There are very large populations of Africans and Asians in Aurora and have been for many years. Forty-thousand people could easily get absorbed into Aurora, Denver, Lakewood… given the size of the overall population in those and adjacent cities.

Old 06-28-2024, 10:32 AM

5,408 posts, read 5,289,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Big Bend is in my top quadrant of US National Parks. Most critics of Texas are very politically ideological, I have found. To take an entire 260,000 square miles of geography and dismiss it is the height of either ignorance or arrogance. Also, Hill Country, I find that to be one of the most visually pleasing small areas in the country.
Texas objectively sucks at outdoor rec. There's no apologizing that away with the "everywhere has something nice" statements. It's pretty apparent from a plane all the good geography is on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande, it immediately gets better south of it. If you look where native people settled, there was a reason there were so many more in what is today Mexico.

Geography aside, Texas is about as bad as it gets in the US for having basically no trails, public land, or in tact forest. The entire state has been barbed wired over and it's not for you - so they all have to leave to go get a wild natural experience. Not exactly something to be proud of. And there's no reason the state had to be set up that way, they chose their own destiny. Every other state bordering Texas is miles ahead for outdoor rec. People visit for other reasons than to get outside obviously, but there's a reason why so many people come to NM for relocating instead of western Texas.

Old 06-29-2024, 02:29 PM

9,421 posts, read 21,003,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Texas objectively sucks at outdoor rec. There's no apologizing that away with the "everywhere has something nice" statements. It's pretty apparent from a plane all the good geography is on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande, it immediately gets better south of it. If you look where native people settled, there was a reason there were so many more in what is today Mexico.

Geography aside, Texas is about as bad as it gets in the US for having basically no trails, public land, or in tact forest. The entire state has been barbed wired over and it's not for you - so they all have to leave to go get a wild natural experience. Not exactly something to be proud of. And there's no reason the state had to be set up that way, they chose their own destiny. Every other state bordering Texas is miles ahead for outdoor rec. People visit for other reasons than to get outside obviously, but there's a reason why so many people come to NM for relocating instead of western Texas.
You haven't been on the east coast then. Almost every square mile of New Jersey is privately owned, for instance, not withstanding the mega-base in the Pine Barrens.

Old 07-01-2024, 04:59 PM

18,040 posts, read 14,069,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj4k View Post
Big Bend National Park?
Guadeloupe Mountains National Park?
The problem with those places is that for all practical purposes... they aren't really in Texas. You might as well plan a trip to Mexico if you are going to go to Big Bend... and Guadalupe is essentially in New Mexico. Another really nice place is Palo Duro Canyon...but it is another long haul from the rest of Texas. Port Aransas (South Padre) is a little closer but it also is a long way from much of Texas.

Old 07-01-2024, 06:22 PM

11,218 posts, read 8,122,460 times
My guess is that most people don’t even know that NM is in the US.

Old 07-02-2024, 03:10 AM

35 posts, read 10,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The problem with those places is that for all practical purposes... they aren't really in Texas. You might as well plan a trip to Mexico if you are going to go to Big Bend... and Guadalupe is essentially in New Mexico. Another really nice place is Palo Duro Canyon...but it is another long haul from the rest of Texas. Port Aransas (South Padre) is a little closer but it also is a long way from much of Texas.
Port A is actually about 3 hours or so north of South Padre Island so they are two different places and they are quite a ways from each other.Port A is not the same as South Padre Island.

Old 07-07-2024, 05:28 PM

10,455 posts, read 14,194,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My guess is that most people don’t even know that NM is in the US.
Apparently a lot of people don't now that.

Old 07-10-2024, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 118 times
I can't speak to why but I sure hope it stays low-key and under the radar.

Old 07-13-2024, 09:32 PM

102,585 posts, read 109,463,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Having lived in Aurora, CO for 10+ years, I suspect that Denver is used as something of a catch-all when referring to recently arrived immigrants. There are very large populations of Africans and Asians in Aurora and have been for many years. Forty-thousand people could easily get absorbed into Aurora, Denver, Lakewood… given the size of the overall population in those and adjacent cities.
I just checked the demographics of Lakewood, and according to the stats I saw, there are no African immigrants, no Blacks/US citizens, no Native Americans, or in too small numbers to register on the stats. According to my Latino landlord and the stats, Lakewood is full of Latinos (White Hispanic and otherwise) and White people, and just under 4% Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico