Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:52 AM

102,588 posts, read 109,463,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I don't know the exact demographics of the migrants in Denver, but I've seen the numbers of crossings at El Paso broken down by nationality. China, Syria, and Congo have accounted for most of the migration in some months. Europe has cracked down on African immigration so many are flying to Mexico to reach the US.

Here's an article about Denver's situation:

https://coloradosun.com/2024/03/13/d...s-immigration/

About Gov. Abbott and his razor-wire obsession:

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/10...a-wire-abbott/
Wow, thanks, aries. Speer and Zuni; I've driven through there several times in the last few months, and didn't see anything like this. Nothing unusual at all. Maybe it was a temporary thing until the relevant agencies addressed it. Article said, quite a few of the migrants had destinations outside of Denver and even CO, that they were aiming for, due to having friends or family they hoped to reach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 09:42 PM

9,421 posts, read 21,003,372 times
Regarding the razor wire, great move by Governor Abbott. He's protecting his border, and our culture, frankly, as sovereign nations have every right to do. Yesterday, I had business in Sunland Park, and then had to pick up my wife at the El Paso Airport. I had to drive on the Can Am Highway, which turns into Paisano Drive. I took McNutt Rd, to the end, before I merged onto the Can Am Highway, and noticed the concertina wire that was just on the north side of the Rio Grande. For those not geographically aware, there is about one mile of New Mexico between Mount Cristo Rey and the Texas border. Abbott indeed fortified the Texas border by putting up this wire, which will slice these invaders 7 ways to Sunday. But he did one better: the Texas National Guard installed that concertina wire on top of the existing metal wall that separates El Paso from Mexico, all the way to about 3 miles east of the Cordova Bridge. This installation is ongoing. This is what needs to be done. Until the DoD is redeployed along the southern border with shoot to kill orders issued, this is how a state can fight back against the unwillingness of the federal government to do so.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:52 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,452,845 times
New Mexico has an abundance of positives: landscapes, weather, reasonable COL, friendly people, delectable food, outstanding artists/artisans. OTOH, the school system, medical care are put offs for folks who are considering moving there. I lived in Placitas for 11 years and loved every moment of my stay. But the cold winters, poverty of the poor, and lack of quality medical care pushed me away. I'm 79 years old.

Old 06-22-2024, 10:30 PM

10,455 posts, read 14,194,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think that New Mexico has so few migrants/immigrants/refugees coming here, even though we're a border state, is for the same reason. They think it's not part of the United States, or just aren't very convinced that it is. After walking through the length of Mexico, they're not settling for a place called New Mexico.

A few weeks ago I heard an interview on the radio with an official from Denver, explaining their refugee crisis. When asked why so many were coming to Denver, the official said "Because we're the first city north of El Paso."
Very interesting points. I never knew that about New Mexico.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:29 AM

34,073 posts, read 13,124,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Yeah... we want to keep it sort of quiet.

NM is a bit too "exotic" for some people who are complacent in their existence. It sort of thrives on neglect in its own way. We wouldn't be able to adapt well to a sprawling Phoenix or DFW. When I moved here my old friends and neighbors asked if I wasn't afraid of moving here by myself -- implying it was so far from "God's Country". It has a little frontier image left in it. You might hear 3 or 4 different languages spoken any day of the week.

It doesn't have the extremes -- no 14ners of Colorado, no Grand Canyon like Arizona, no sandy beaches like Texas or California. It has a more subtle human-scale attractiveness that has drawn writers and artists for decades. But visitors have to get off the interstate and get into the "outback" to see what we see. Many are uncomfortable doing that.

NM was also sort of the trunk of America's car. That is where you put stuff you were not wanting to show off to prying eyes. Nevada is a bit like that as well. The missile range is not very public. There was the Manhattan Project. The Trinity bomb site is open to the public only twice a year. Nuclear waste dump? -- sure, why not?

There is also a bit of mystery concerning the 22 Indian nations that have called NM home for thousands of years. They have different customs and languages. Unlike other parts of the US, the NM Indians were not permanently uprooted, en masse, and sent off to some other state. Those human footprints near White Sands tells us there have been people living here for over 20 thousand years. It has been part of the US only 175 years.

I think the state is gorgeous.

Give me a fire to sit by, a stack of books, and my skis, and I could spend an entire ski season in Red River.

Old 06-23-2024, 05:02 PM

102,588 posts, read 109,463,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
New Mexico has an abundance of positives: landscapes, weather, reasonable COL, friendly people, delectable food, outstanding artists/artisans. OTOH, the school system, medical care are put offs for folks who are considering moving there. I lived in Placitas for 11 years and loved every moment of my stay. But the cold winters, poverty of the poor, and lack of quality medical care pushed me away. I'm 79 years old.
The winters are warmer than they used to be. These days, instead of 2 or 3 feet of snow, it's not unusual for winters to only get 2 or 3 inches, at 7000 ft. It definitely makes winter driving easier! There's a little variation some years, but the winter climate has definitely warmed since I started visiting in the 90's, and moved there in 2001. I found medical care in Santa Fe to be pretty good, though I can understand why the same wouldn't be true of smaller towns.

Old 06-25-2024, 10:07 AM

18,300 posts, read 26,124,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The winters are warmer than they used to be. These days, instead of 2 or 3 feet of snow, it's not unusual for winters to only get 2 or 3 inches, at 7000 ft. It definitely makes winter driving easier! There's a little variation some years, but the winter climate has definitely warmed since I started visiting in the 90's, and moved there in 2001. I found medical care in Santa Fe to be pretty good, though I can understand why the same wouldn't be true of smaller towns.

I think that coming next April you will see the towns celebrating the designation of Route 66 as it will be the 100 year anniversary of its designation as a u.s. highway. There is a website to look at here--->>> U.S. Route 66 Centennial Commission. It's been a year ago in May that I've been to the Duke City but I plan on going to go there but the other towns celebrating it.

For years Tucumcari had a 'Rockabilly On The Route" a 3 day celebration of Route 66. in 2013 Wanda Jackson did a one hour concert. IIRC actor Martin Milner who was a star in the 1960's TV show 'Route 66" signed autographs in a another year-IIRC 1t was 2015. I'm looking forward to it, it's been years since I've stayed a week in different cities in New Mexico.

Old 06-27-2024, 06:08 PM

18 posts, read 5,873 times
Quote:
Texas? IDK, beats me what the attraction is. Go figure! lol I guess--the Gulf coast? *shrug* I've never heard of Texas as anyone's tourism destination.
Big Bend National Park?
Guadeloupe Mountains National Park?

Old 06-27-2024, 06:21 PM

62,780 posts, read 89,002,889 times
Quote:

Texas? IDK, beats me what the attraction is. Go figure! lol I guess--the Gulf coast? *shrug* I've never heard of Texas as anyone's tourism destination.
Oh, boy? No? Had YOU ever visited Texas?
You would be surprised!

Old 06-27-2024, 07:02 PM

9,421 posts, read 21,003,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj4k View Post
Big Bend National Park?
Guadeloupe Mountains National Park?
Big Bend is in my top quadrant of US National Parks. Most critics of Texas are very politically ideological, I have found. To take an entire 260,000 square miles of geography and dismiss it is the height of either ignorance or arrogance. Also, Hill Country, I find that to be one of the most visually pleasing small areas in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico