Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Uhm...Nope.

Looks like there is some up North and a few pockets in the deep south. Midwest also.
Uhm, yup....

BTW, are you going to grow more veggies near the Canadian border? Growing for a family of 2 or 3 does not require that much space or water. Total self-sufficiency is probably impossible anywhere in this country (or the world for that matter). You are bound to have to go to town and buy things like flour or salt or sugar. Being that it is a free country you get to choose the level of self-sufficiency you want to practice. Some folks feel self-sufficient if they have a fat bank account and know that they can leave a job tomorrow if they felt like it. Some feel they are self-sufficient if they are poor and live in a shack in the middle of nowhere.

But to rephrase - because these are the last places without people where it is not freezing or humid like hell.

There, better?

It is also because you can ride/hike/hunt millions of acres of public lands. New Mexico itself has millions and millions of acres of National Forests and BLM lands.

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
If you go off the grid commit to it forever because nothing is more trashy than a bunch of abandoned, squalid, hovels crapping up our beautiful New Mexican landscapes .

Kthx
There are quite a few non-self sufficient energy hogging unnecessarily gigantic ugly McMansions crapping up the beautiful New Mexican landscapes too in places you would least expect them. What's your point?

OD

Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
But to rephrase - because these are the last places without people where it is not freezing or humid like hell.

There, better?

It is also because you can ride/hike/hunt millions of acres of public lands. New Mexico itself has millions and millions of acres of National Forests and BLM lands.

OD
People have adapted to frozen climates for thousands of years. They're called Laplanders, Eskimoes, etc.
As for places in the USA, the state of Idaho is one of the "least" populated with the "greatest" percentage of acreage in public lands, right after AK, UT, NV. Washington state also has a huge amount of land in what is referred to as the "Inland NW" that is both habitable and tolerable for anyone hardy enough to live "off the grid" in the first place. Then there are the "wilderness" areas of other northern-tier states with good resources for resourceful souls!

NM ranks 9th on this list of percentage of public lands:

http://www.summitpost.org/public-and...-states/186111

Last edited by joqua; 08-23-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
People have adapted to frozen climates for thousands of years. They're called Laplanders, Eskimoes, etc.
As for places in the USA, the state of Idaho is one of the "least" populated with the "greatest" percentage of acreage in public lands, right after AK, UT, NV. Washington state also has a huge amount of land in what is referred to as the "Inland NW" that is both habitable and tolerable for anyone hardy enough to live "off the grid" in the first place. Then there are the "wilderness" areas of other northern-tier states with good resources for resourceful souls!

NM ranks 9th on this list of percentage of public lands:

Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

I am no Laplander nor Eskimo. AK too cold, UT and NV both get bitter cold in winter.

NM (especially area around Silver City) sounds perfect to me weather wise.

WA is not a bad choice but still gets COLD. Idaho is nice - I have also been to WY camping in the wilderness - it's nice there too and lots of public lands but aside from June-September, it gets bitter cold pretty quickly. Having lived 5 years in Canada and 5 years in South Florida - I have been on both ends of the rope.

OD

Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
There are quite a few non-self sufficient energy hogging unnecessarily gigantic ugly McMansions crapping up the beautiful New Mexican landscapes too in places you would least expect them. What's your point?

OD
Unnecessarily gigantic ugly McMansions not your taste in architecture?
Meh, it's just your opinion and not a crime. As a general rule at least these are high dollar homes and the folks who live there keep their land trash free.

Bad zoning that allows Unnecessarily gigantic ugly McMansions?
Double meh.. at least there is some zoning control.

Non-self sufficient energy hogging?
As compared to what exactly? A hogan? A teepee? A hole in the ground? Give something to use as a baseline.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:51 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
As compared to what exactly? A hogan? A teepee? A hole in the ground? Give something to use as a baseline.
I know several homes that many would consider McMansions that are not energy hogging. One guy I work with has a 2500 sq ft home that pay less than $200 per year for electricity.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Quote:
I know several homes that many would consider McMansions that are not energy hogging. One guy I work with has a 2500 sq ft home that pay less than $200 per year for electricity.
My point exactly.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,077,265 times
Quote:
I know several homes that many would consider McMansions that are not energy hogging.
Homes don't hog energy. The resident(s) of the homes do ( or don't ).

Homes hog land.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Unnecessarily gigantic ugly McMansions not your taste in architecture?
Meh, it's just your opinion and not a crime. As a general rule at least these are high dollar homes and the folks who live there keep their land trash free.

Bad zoning that allows Unnecessarily gigantic ugly McMansions?
Double meh.. at least there is some zoning control.

Nope, not my taste. It is not a crime, at least not for now (not that it shouldn't be).

Compared to a small, self-sufficient and energy efficient home.

OD

Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
And? Are they ALL like that? Or did you quote us one or two examples that make up a rule? I can quote you dozens and dozens of (rich) people I knew in 10,000+ sqft homes that spent as much energy as a small town.

On average most of these McMansions are energy hogs and stick out like sores.

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico