Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 08:26 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,501,609 times

Advertisements

I just find the whole discussion of "off the grid" living on this forum and the other Rocky Mountain region forums pretty laughable, at least as most of the posters seem to think about it. They talk about having a place out in the middle of nowhere with solar collectors, rainwater collection, windmill-powered well, photovoltaic cells and a straw-bale, adobe, or rammed earth house with a garden trying to grow in a cold desert. That's supposed to be "off the grid." But you never hear them talk about having to jump into the 12 mpg pickup (gotta have that to go get that firewood, you know) to make a 60 mile roundtrip every day to town to work, or to make similar roundtrips to do shopping for what they can't raise or produce on their sagebrush parcel (and that's a wide variety of stuff, even for a rudimentary lifestyle), or the diesel-powered school bus ride their kids take to school every day if they're not home-schooled (and, frankly, I've seen relatively few people able to home-school their kids successfully), or that much of that new-age "off the grid" equipment they need is made out of plastic, silicon, and rare earths. And, of course, most of these people are from somewhere else and on some regular basis have to slurp down a big bunch of gasoline or Jet A to go see their friends or relatives back on the coasts. Truth is, most of them aren't really "off the grid" at all--they just like to think they are. As far as a low-impact lifestyle, the guy living in a modest well-insulated house in a town where he grew up and has his friends and family, and within walking distance to shopping and work is a whole lot closer to "off the grid" than the granola-crunching-off-the-grid-dreamers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,859,471 times
JL - well said. The folks that have lived off the grid for generations are a lot less fond of the idea.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Truth is, most of them aren't really "off the grid" at all--
they just like to think they are.
You are not allowed to say that.
If you do, someone will just google the definition and point out how wrong you are.

Last edited by mortimer; 02-16-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,836,270 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I hear that in new mexico, lots of people are into building quirky houses like earthships and straw bale houses. many "off-the-grid".

Have you read this thread yet? Off the Grid If not, you might find it informative.

Do they get permits? I guess some do, some don't.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-20-2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Orphan Info

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM

888 posts, read 1,188,181 times
I think the percentage of people living 'off the grid' in New Mexico is fairly small?
However, more power to them for making the attempt!

Steve

Old 06-11-2012, 10:37 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,609,610 times
Quote:
if they do, how do they get away with it?
The rural parts of NM can be lax with codes. I've visited places that clearly had non-code housing (that wasn't that old) and outhouses. Probably depends a lot on who is enforcing the codes in the local area. Whether your neighbors complain or not likely makes a big difference too... ie if you build something near other non-code houses, you are more likely to get away with it. I didn't inquire about how they got away with it, so I'm just guessing.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 06-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Orphan Info

Old 06-14-2012, 05:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPL Enterprises View Post
And I also know A person locally who is not able to sell his property because he built a home on it without permitting it.
I knew personally of several houses in Otero County that were built several years ago without permits. Many people have gotten by with it in the past, and many still do.

The houses in question were built by non-licensed contractors as spec homes on land owned by the people who built them. They intended to sell off small tracts the houses were on. But the STATE BUILDING INSPECTOR in Dona Ana county red tagged these houses before they could be sold - they were in a finished state. Not sure whatever happened to them since the area is off the beaten path. Not somewhere I would normally go to.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,545 times
In cities and counties that don't have the resources to handle building permits and regulations the state administers the codes and zoning.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,179,194 times
Quote:
...are unwilling to underwrite a mortgage for a structure that wasn't permitted and that because the inspector stated that it would be next to impossible to bring the structure up to code he hasn't been able to find a buyer.
There's always a slim chance someone will come along with cash and waive the inspections. That way the property can change hands with minimum involvement of regulators. Of course there is also the potential for a property to be condemned by the local authority although I've never seen that done in this area, where there are a great many really old owner-built homes. Mine is such a place. Once the home is declared abandoned and a nuisance the village will move in as it has done recently on several properties.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,609,610 times
Quote:
It seems that due to disclosure laws that the banks are unwilling to underwrite a mortgage for a structure that wasn't permitted and that because the inspector stated that it would be next to impossible to bring the structure up to code he hasn't been able to find a buyer.
Yes... I'd only consider non-code building if it was going to be very cheap, and I didn't care if I'd ever be able to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico