Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 07:53 AM

6 posts, read 10,451 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm just starting my retirement search and I'd love your thoughts about choosing Mesquite, NV or Alamogordo, NM as a retirement destination. I lived in Las Cruces when I was young and so feel more familiar with southern New Mexico although Mesquite's proximity to Las Vegas is attractive.

Some of the things that I'm looking for include

Hiking trails
Dry heat
Good senior center/ activities
Beautiful mountain views
Art community
Reasonable housing prices (below $400,000)
Outdoor pool (indoor pool would be a plus)
Nearby fishing
Dog-friendly
Within 1 1/2 hours of a major city
Friendly to newcomers

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Please feel free to recommend other places that fit my criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
I've not been to Mesquite any amount of time to comment but I have been to Alamogordo several times from living in Timberon and Capitan.
Alamogordo would be a nice place to retire. Surrounded by mountains, dry heat. Hot in summer and nice in Winter. I found the people to be friendly. El Paso would be your closest major city. Up the road toward Cloudcroft and Timberon are hiking trails.
May I also suggest Ruidoso? They also have most of what you're asking for.

I don't know about dog friendly. I usually left my dog at home when going to town to shop, eat or whatever. I can't think of any fishing places in any of these areas. Most people I knew went to Elephant Butte to fish and boat.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Mesquite "seems" to be a viable alternative, but sure wouldn't move there without spending some time there mid-summer. Rent a place for long enough to make a decision. Summer temps could make it difficult to enjoy the outdoors for much of the summer.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the replies! I agree that Ruidoso does have everything that I want and even includes fly fishing opportunities. My only concern about Ruidoso is the fire potential. I remember the Los Alamos fire a few years ago and worry that Ruidoso also has the potential for a big wildfire. Is it a realistic fear?

I'm somewhat interested in Mesquite due to its location so close to St. George and Zion in addition to being close to Vegas. My husband has spent lots of time in Vegas for work and likes it but I'm not sold on the idea of living in a large city. I live right outside Chicago now and want a quieter pace to life when we retire

Old 06-29-2019, 04:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nester123 View Post
I want and even includes fly fishing opportunities. My only concern about Ruidoso is the fire potential.
Fly fishing isn't an option in Ruidoso, although bait fishing is. A few fishing ponds (small lakes) are kept stocked with trout.

Fire danger is omnipresent anywhere in forested areas, including Ruidoso village proper.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:11 PM

39 posts, read 77,909 times
I too am considering Ruidoso and Alamogordo for retirement.

They both have their pluses...hard choice.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies! I agree that Ruidoso does have everything that I want and even includes fly fishing opportunities. My only concern about Ruidoso is the fire potential. I remember the Los Alamos fire a few years ago and worry that Ruidoso also has the potential for a big wildfire. Is it a realistic fear?

I'm somewhat interested in Mesquite due to its location so close to St. George and Zion in addition to being close to Vegas. My husband has spent lots of time in Vegas for work and likes it but I'm not sold on the idea of living in a large city. I live right outside Chicago now and want a quieter pace to life when we retire
yes forest fires are a realistic fear.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:48 PM

69 posts, read 273,914 times
Hello there!
I'm formerly a native of the Alamogordo area. We left there about 6 years ago, and I do miss NM a lot. We now live in Boise, Idaho. We really love it up here too, but it has outgrown us. Home prices are sky rocketing and it's just too expensive to live here. I would love to move back and as of this post we are seriously considering either going back to NM or maybe the Texas area.
Alamogordo, is a nice little town. The Whitesands are nearby, Holloman AFB is there, the beauty of Cloudcroft is just minutes away to cool down and enjoy the Winter wonderland up there. There are 4 seasons all around you, the heat is there too, but it's the desert and it has a beauty all its own. I wouldn't mind going back. It's very affordable as well. Best of luck with your final destination.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
My only concern about Ruidoso is the fire potential. I remember the Los Alamos fire a few years ago and worry that Ruidoso also has the potential for a big wildfire. Is it a realistic fear?
You can view an interactive fire map provided by GEOMAC. Using the map, you can zoom in to view specific fires in the New Mexico region.

https://www.geomac.gov/viewer/viewer.shtml

Forrest fires occur almost everywhere there are trees. They don't necessarily have patterns which repeat.. Lightning starts a lot of fires...

Old 07-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Thanks for all of the replies so far. One thing that factors into our decision is that my elder sister would like to move with us when we retire. She is a veteran so it would be a pro if we lived near a base. Also, she doesn't drive and prefers to be able to walk or take public transportation to everything that she needs. Do any of you with familiarity with Alamogordo think that we can find that in Alamo? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico