Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 01:59 PM

83 posts, read 122,081 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into living in Albuquerque or more rural towns on its outskirts, like Belen, Placitas, Tijeras, Corrales, Bosque Farms? Lots of what you're looking for, at least within a short drive, a strong military community if you live in Abq, more cultural activities, a major airport, and you can still find a nice house for under $400K (but that probably won't be the case in Albuquerque after a few years, as Netflix and NBC will have production operations here and property values will go up). The trails running along the irrigation ditch network all over Albuquerque make for beautiful walks, and the city has a good set of senior center with lots of activities and nice, small gyms that are totally free for neighborhood residents. We do get some smoke when there are big fires, but that's probably true for all of the Southwest. Crime is more of an issue than in a place like Mesquite, but that may be offset by the advantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ew-mexico.html

Old 08-08-2019, 01:30 PM

6 posts, read 10,467 times
Thanks for the suggestion that I look into the areas around Albuquerque. My husband loves Santa Fe but I'd written it off as too expensive and touristy. To be honest, my memory of Albuquerque is of a big city that didn't really impress me back in the early 1990s. Obviously, it's grown substantially since then and I agree that it's on the way to trendy. Which town would you suggest that I look into first? Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

Old 08-12-2019, 01:44 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nester123 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion that I look into the areas around Albuquerque. My husband loves Santa Fe but I'd written it off as too expensive and touristy. To be honest, my memory of Albuquerque is of a big city that didn't really impress me back in the early 1990s. Obviously, it's grown substantially since then and I agree that it's on the way to trendy. Which town would you suggest that I look into first? Thanks again for all of your thoughts!
If I were to live in the Albq. area, I'd pick Rio Rancho.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:26 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Mesquite "seems" to be a viable alternative, but sure wouldn't move there without spending some time there mid-summer. Rent a place for long enough to make a decision. Summer temps could make it difficult to enjoy the outdoors for much of the summer.
Summer temps are very hot in Mesquite, Nevada...average highs slightly hotter than Vegas.

MESQUITE--------ALAMOGORDO

62/29-----JAN------56/32
66/34-----FEB------62/36
74/39-----MAR------68/42
83/47-----APR------77/49
93/56-----MAY------86/57
102/63----JUN------94/66
108/70----JUL-------93/68
106/70----AUG------91/67
100/60----SEP-------86/61
87/49-----OCT-------76/50
70/36-----NOV-------65/38
62/30-----DEC-------56/31

Mesquite summers are scorching...but cools off quickly at night as compared to nearby Vegas.
Alamogordo lows are milder and has double the precip...11.7" compared to 5.8" in Mesquite.

Mesquite is much lower at 1,600 ft ASL (Alamogordo is at about 4,300 ft ASL)

Alamogordo has twice the population....31,000 (Mesquite 16,000)

Both are about 80 miles from a much larger city...
El Paso for Alamogordo.....Las Vegas for Mesquite.

Alamogordo also has Las Cruces nearby ….Mesquite has St. George, Utah.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nester123 View Post
Hello,

Within 1 1/2 hours of a major city
I'm not sure what the Major Cities mean. The 9 largest cities in New Mexico:

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Major Cities
Name Population
2018-07-01

1 Albuquerque 560,218
2 Las Cruces 102,926
3 Rio Rancho 98,023
4 Santa Fe 84,612
5 Roswell 47,635
6 Farmington 44,788
7 South Valley 42,000
8 Clovis 38,680
9 Hobbs 38,277

Albuquerque, Rio Rancho and South Valley are adjacent to each other. Santa Fe is about 51 to 75 miles away from those three cities.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2019 at 01:34 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 07:09 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,499,383 times
MESQUITE--------ALAMOGORDO

62/29-----JAN------56/32
66/34-----FEB------62/36
74/39-----MAR------68/42
83/47-----APR------77/49
93/56-----MAY------86/57
102/63----JUN------94/66
108/70----JUL-------93/68
106/70----AUG------91/67
100/60----SEP-------86/61
87/49-----OCT-------76/50
70/36-----NOV-------65/38
62/30-----DEC-------56/31

Man, look at those sweet temp.'s for Alamogordo. I think that this one, empty_nester123, is going to hinge on how much of an advantage it is for you ta live near Lost Wages. You would only be 82 miles from Lost Wages. I like Lost Wages, too - I love ta cruise the Strip. All the entertainment you can want is all nearby.

We here in Alamogordo live about 90 miles north of El Paso. So the distance is similar. We have a pool run by The City of Alamogordo. It is an outdoor pool that the City has a cover system in place for winter time. But I don't know if they allow swimming when the cover is over the pool. The swimming pool is quite large and the kids of Alamo absolutely love it.

The Alamogordo Senior Center is very nice and a mellow place ta be. My wife has been 60 since January and I turn 60 in 3 days, so, needless ta say, we've toured the Senior Center. Sounds like you can give $2.00 a visit and get lunch there if you want, too. I don't remember the price details for meals but I'm sure it's similar to many other cities.

We plan on retiring here in Alamogordo and bought a nice brick home here a year and a half ago. Alamogordo has a great library, too, if you like libraries. Never had any kind of complaint about them and we use the library a lot. There is a van service that will take you to medical/dental appointments here and I think you can bill it to Medicare or Medicaid if you have or will have either of them. You could find out online about that if you're interested.

We have hiking at Dog Canyon trail just south of town off of Highway 54. 5 miles in and 5 miles back and my wife and I have not done it and probably won't even attempt it. Apparently it's for experienced hikers only. But you can drive the 16 miles up Highway 82 that runs east and west on the north side of town and be in beautiful Cloudcroft, NM, pretty quickly. It's usually 10-20 degrees cooler up in Cloudroft than it is down below in the Tularosa Basin. Cloudcroft just screams tourist and hike and explore! I can not remember ever feeling gloom and doom feelings when up in Cloudcroft. Little shops downtown are fun to peruse.

South of Cloudcroft on NM Scenic Byway 6563 and NM 82 (16 miles south) is the village of Sunspot. The National Solar Observatory offers self-guided tours there and there are hiking trails galore with views down from Sacramento Peak (in Lincoln National Forest, home of Smoky Bear) of Tularosa Basin and the White Sands National Monument. The Tularosa Basin has more land in it than the state of Connecticut! The Dunn Solar Telescope is the main star of the show at Sunspot. It's now run by NMSU, which has been running it since October of 2017. That is when the National Science Foundation pulled out of the site. The site was built in 1947 by the U.S. Air Force, who realized in WWII that their communications were being affected by the sun. They wanted to learn more about the sun for pretty obvious reasons. In the 60's the National Science Foundation came in and took over the Solar Observatory. The Dunn Solar Telescope towers 136' high up in to the sky, but, interestingly, also goes down below the ground 228'!

There was at one time about 100 people in Sunspot. It was its own little village with its own fire station, post office, water tower and maybe a dozen Redwood houses and 20 relocatable houses. It was a busy place back in the 40's and 50's. The Air Force still had a presence there until 2010, when they moved the rest of their operations to Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque.

More on the Dunn Solar Telescope, because its pretty interesting. The structure contains an entrance window and two mirrors that guide sunlight down the tower in an evacuated tube from which air has been removed. Inside, the rotating telescope weighs 200 tons and is suspended from a right-shaped container that holds 10 tons of mercury! With this telescope, scientists are able to study granulation, sunspots, faulae, weak magnetic field, filaments and solar flares.

In an effort to cut budget the National Science Foundation has moved most of their operations from Sunspot and other facilities nationwide to Boulder, CO. NSF is also undergoing the construction of one of the most powerful telescopes in the world, that one being in Maui, Hawaii, atop the Haleakala Crater. Supposedly that telescope is to be built by 2019. The article I'm referencing was written in March of 2017. The Sunspot Observatory is still owned by the NSF, but it's now run by NMSU. The Observatory is open 9:00AM - 5:00PM Monday through Friday. It's open during the months of better weather, remember, it's 9,200 feet up there - so feel free to call the number below for all the information you want on this baby. Here's the number - more information can be found by calling 575-434-7190. You can also keep right up-to-date with the Observatory on Facebook at SunspotSolarObservatory.

I'm seeing if my wife and I can go up there again on Monday afternoon. It's typically 10-20 degrees cooler up there on Sacramento Peak. I plan on learning more about this local treasure and wanted to share what I've learned this afternoon (and early evening!!!!) with all of y'all. Those in the know say this: there's no stores or gas stations or hotels up there, so bring with you all that you think you'll need, including a light jacket or a sweater. Tiny Timberon has a store open and, of course, Cloudcroft has what you'll need in stores but that's 16 miles north of the Sunspot Solar Observatory.

Timberon is a really small town about 16 miles further south from Sunspot. From Cloudcroft take New Mexico Highway 6563 (the Sunspot Scenic Byway) 16 miles to Sunspot. From Sunspot take County Road C001 (also known as 537) 16 more miles south to the little cute town of Timberon. We've been to the Sunspot Solar Observatory several times but we've only been to Timberon one time. I might hit up both of them on Monday. I'll come back and report on what I find on this thread or, possibly create a new thread on this subject, since it seems to tickle my fancy more than just a little bit.

BTW - those small highways are just two lane highways going south out of Cloudcroft. They're perfect for motorcycling, and of course your car or truck. But they would be great for motorcycling. And, to think further about it, a 2017 Nissan Sentra NISMO or a 2017-2019 Ford Fiesta ST Turbocharger. I even like driving my 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed stick my wife won't let me trade on those roads!

One final warning - watch out for elk and deer on or near those highways.

Last edited by elkotronics; 08-17-2019 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: spelling error fixes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico