Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
joqua: I still put little into those charts as each chart can show something different and they change every other month depending on who is doings them.
It doesn't matter much whether anyone believes in charts and statistics. The FACTS can't be denied when comparing states one against the other. And FACTS are part and parcel of New Mexico's 'poor' reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
It doesn't matter much whether anyone believes in charts and statistics. The FACTS can't be denied when comparing states one against the other. And FACTS are part and parcel of New Mexico's 'poor' reputation.
True, but facts are data points, not an experienced reality.

If I eat 30 steaks in a month, I am well fed, no?

But one steak a day for 30 days is very different from eating 2 steaks a day for 15 days, then starving myself for 15 days.

The statistical fact forms the reputation of New Mexico, but belies the experience of the average New Mexico resident.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
True, but facts are data points, not an experienced reality.

If I eat 30 steaks in a month, I am well fed, no?

But one steak a day for 30 days is very different from eating 2 steaks a day for 15 days, then starving myself for 15 days.

The statistical fact forms the reputation of New Mexico, but belies the experience of the average New Mexico resident.
Thanks you put it well. I am a strong believer as most on here know, that stats are not always what they appear to be.

Here is just an example of what stats can show: a small town has a nut who decides to break into a home and kill all 6 people in the family. The town only has about 3,000 people so when stats are done on this small town, it could show a high murder rate. 6 peopled murdered just last year. I am, obviously making the story up, but it is to show what can be done with stats.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Well, the question asked by the OP that started this thread is: Why does New Mexico have a bad reputation?

There is an overwhelming volume of information available to support the reasons for NM being at or near the bottom of all sorts of comparative lists that support the "bad reputation." Believe it or not!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

After almost thirty years as a criminal justice researcher I put almost no faith in comparisons of crime statistics used to compare one city to another or across state lines. The FBI cautions against doing that when they publish the reports and I've seen some clear examples of how crime numbers are defined, reported, and tabulated in different ways in different jurisdictions that make those comparisons pointless. The FACTS of crime reporting are useful only when comparing one place to itself over several years.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
After almost thirty years as a criminal justice researcher I put almost no faith in comparisons of crime statistics used to compare one city to another or across state lines. The FBI cautions against doing that when they publish the reports and I've seen some clear examples of how crime numbers are defined, reported, and tabulated in different ways in different jurisdictions that make those comparisons pointless. The FACTS of crime reporting are useful only when comparing one place to itself over several years.
Interesting. Even comparing a locality to itself may be deceiving. As new local leaders are elected, and new law enforcement officials are appointed, priorities often change. New leaders will want to show progress and may be tempted to selectively enforce the laws or manipulate the data. Even the murder rate can be skewed.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 AM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Dont forget that Albuquerque is the worst city in the nation for auto thefts, lots of tourists and people traveling through are getting cars, uhauls and trailers stolen. I wonder what the auto insurance is like in ABQ now. I know I paid more there than I did in other states ive lived in.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I wonder what the auto insurance is like in ABQ now. I know I paid more there than I did in other states ive lived in.
This is more a NM forum, but statewide, NM averages about $1277/year. Albuquerque is higher than the NM average, at $1400, plus a few dozen bucks for the crimier zip codes.

Compare against statewide averages for:

1. Michigan $2738
2. Montana $2297
3. New Jersey $1905
7. California $1752
13. Texas $1510

If you go down to the worst zip codes by state:
1. Detroit MI 48227 $7415
2. Brooklyn NY 11212 $4440
3. New Orleans LA 70117 $3747

And the best:
1. Fremont/Coldwater OH 43420/45828 $804
2. Swannanoa NC 28778 $813
3. Normal IL 61761 $818

I somehow suspect with numbers like these that NM doesn't quite earn all of its bad reputation. Unless our summer crime wave lets up, however, I suspect our premiums will start creeping slowly northward.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,454 times
Another factor to consider is the impact that Indian Reservations have on the state's crime statistics. Most people considering a move to New Mexico are not contemplating a move to one of the reservations. You may pass through one of these areas on occasion, but unless you live nearby, chances are you will not be directly affected by the criminal activity occurring on the reservations.

Quote:
Navajo Nation, the largest Native American reservation in the country in both size and population, is as extraordinary for its sweeping, magnificent views as it is for its rugged remoteness.

Fewer than 200,000 people live in the sovereign nation that spans parts of three states: Arizona, New Mexico and Utah.
But beneath that bucolic veneer of serenity lives an impoverished people often racked by violence. Navajo Nation has a violent crime rate higher than most major US cities -- and a police force in mourning after a third Navajo Nation police officer in less than two years lost his life on the job.
Three Navajo cops killed on duty in under 2 years - CNN.com

Quote:
Thirty-four individuals are facing federal and tribal drug charges as the result of an 18-month multi-agency investigation spearheaded by the DEA and BIA into methamphetamine trafficking on the Mescalero Apache Reservation. Eighteen defendants, including five members of the Mescalero Apache Tribe and thirteen non-Natives are charged in six indictments and a criminal complaint filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico in Nov. and Dec. 2015. Sixteen other members of the Mescalero Apache Tribe are charged in tribal criminal complaints approved by the Mescalero Apache Tribal Court.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-nm/pr/t...ne-trafficking

Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 PM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
This is more a NM forum, but statewide, NM averages about $1277/year. Albuquerque is higher than the NM average, at $1400, plus a few dozen bucks for the crimier zip codes.

Compare against statewide averages for:

1. Michigan $2738
2. Montana $2297
3. New Jersey $1905
7. California $1752
13. Texas $1510

If you go down to the worst zip codes by state:
1. Detroit MI 48227 $7415
2. Brooklyn NY 11212 $4440
3. New Orleans LA 70117 $3747

And the best:
1. Fremont/Coldwater OH 43420/45828 $804
2. Swannanoa NC 28778 $813
3. Normal IL 61761 $818

I somehow suspect with numbers like these that NM doesn't quite earn all of its bad reputation. Unless our summer crime wave lets up, however, I suspect our premiums will start creeping slowly northward.

Well what i mentioned was just 1 example....there are other reasons why NM may have a bad reputation or just isnt thought of as much as other states.

The economy, the poverty, the lack of education, lack of any real big cities, mostly a rural state, the crime, the isolation, people dont know much about the state, some think its full of indians and illegals, no professional sports, no high end shopping, boring unless you enjoy nature, alcohol and drugs are a huge problem, also the interstates through the state are popular drug routes, the good ol boy sysytem, lack of greenery and water. Im sure there are lots of other things that i cant think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico